Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (update 3)

Nice area to hunt. What kind of race track was it? Nice score on the POD button.  Do you dig iffy targets or just solid hits? Farm fields around my area are jam packed with targets, mostly trash, but with a decent amount of relics and coins too. I found a couple of those 3 Merry Widow containers. I think the names were Agnes, Mabel and Beckie. Imagine being a young girl growing up with one of those names and having to face the older boys. Must have been a lot of taunting and whispering about them. Hope you strike some silver there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Nice area to hunt. What kind of race track was it? Nice score on the POD button.  Do you dig iffy targets or just solid hits? Farm fields around my area are jam packed with targets, mostly trash, but with a decent amount of relics and coins too. I found a couple of those 3 Merry Widow containers. I think the names were Agnes, Mabel and Beckie. Imagine being a young girl growing up with one of those names and having to face the older boys. Must have been a lot of taunting and whispering about them. Hope you strike some silver there.

I'm down to digging anything that isn't ID'ing as pure iron. If I get an iffy signal that produces at least one good ID and tone in one direction, I try to find it in more than one. It almost feels as if the Equinox "locks on" to targets if they are good. Maybe it's just learned hand/eye.

This is a 1/2 mile or longer straight race track where townspeople raced horses long ago. There was a large grand house, and 3 barns, at least one of which burned. There is a small cemetery that has people buried from 3 local families, and an interesting ground stone that marks the grave of a steamboat captain that died en route to the landing near my house. He had no family so they buried him there.

Now it's all one huge 200 acre farm, it was bought by the family that gives me lots of permissions in the 1940s. The grandsons are farming it now.

I'm still looking for silver, dug a Mercury dime last spring, and part of a Trime last week. 😀

• Like 4

Somewhere on there should be coin heaven. I would try to slow down and watch how the numbers bounce.They may be bouncing into the iron range. I would also try changing to a single frequency of 4, 5 or 10, just to see if it works any better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Somewhere on there should be coin heaven. I would try to slow down and watch how the numbers bounce.They may be bouncing into the iron range. I would also try changing to a single frequency of 4, 5 or 10, just to see if it works any better.

Thanks, I'll try that. Unfortunately there were two people that hunted this area for 3 weeks straight after finding out what was here, the farming family didn't know it. I'm getting what they left behind or finding things in places they weren't. It's been a challenge!

I have some old aerials of this area, and I'm trying to find places that people would have been when the horses were running. Most of that would have been in the field which is planted most of the year. The open areas were hit hard, and I hit them even harder. 😀 I'd love to see if anyone else can find anything.

There is another farmhouse that no one knew about. I found it and again pretty much cleaned it out, but I want to go over it again with the 10x5. Got lots of buttons and such there, even one KG coin, but again no silver coins.

I wish I lived closer I would try and find something for you there. Maybe they are really deep and only a PI will turn them up. Or if you are lucky you can have them plow some of the field closest to where the people stood or wait out their crops and detect it then. Those guys took the easy stuff. You will have to fight for the crumbs.

• Like 1

Great reporting as usual,

Glad you are at least, able to access the areas now! I'm surprised that you haven't found more sight finds!! Maybe after some good rain! I love hunting plowed fields in Georgia after a few good rains to hunt for flint and arrowheads! But took years to find the good spots where there was enough activity!!

Continued Good Luck for old finds and silver! And don't forget the orange, and the air horn! Buck fever is as real as gold fever, but more dangerous!!👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Odd you found the POD button in a field like that, found mine along an old path that was once a road between properties. Maybe the poor mailman was running for his life through the field before a pack of dogs got him and thats all thats left! Or he just took a short cut on his route..

Nice hunting.

• Haha 3

It's nice having a place like that close to home to hunt. Nice work here is that doctor Schulz's arch support I was telling you about it's engraved you can barely see it

Strick

20211117_163904.jpg

20211117_163913.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, strick said:

It's nice having a place like that close to home to hunt. Nice work here is that doctor Schulz's arch support I was telling you about it's engraved you can barely see it

Strick

20211117_163904.jpg

20211117_163913.jpg

Looks like you have a whole one there! 😀 According to the link I posted, he gave each store that sold them a machine to shape them to the individual arch. Still, it may have helped but I'm glad for arch support in modern shoes. 👍

• Like 2

Sadly the fields are done today. Farmers came and told me I might not want to be there when they spray the weed killer and whatever else they had. They're going to have it all planted by the end of the week, wheat and then beans in the spring. I tried to get a little hunting in but found nothing but iron. 😭 Waah.

Probably will get some short hunts in the spring, but next year will be beans again. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1