Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (update 3)

Got a great link about the Dr. Scholl's metal plate. It was called the "Foot-Eazer":

https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/single-post/dr-scholls/

Apparently it was a metal plate attached to a piece of leather that provided arch support. 🤯 It dates back to 1911.

• Like 9

Another nice hunt and some nice pictures, but I just want to know how do you find all those items when your detector is just leaning up against a shovel all the time.

Good luck on your next hunt and may you find a few silver dollars.

• Haha 6

Another nice hunt and some nice pictures, but I just want to know how do you find all those items when your detector is just leaning up against a shovel all the time.

Good luck on your next hunt and may you find a few silver dollars.

Didn't you download the plugin for the Equinox that allows it to take selfies? 🤣

• Haha 4

I hope I didn't mislead you when in some of my posts I use the phrase "mow the lawn" to mean getting complete ground coverage from your swing pattern.  🙄  Hey, works for you, though....

Do you think the cause of those corroded modern nickel-alloy coins' deterioration is from fertilizer?  It doesn't seem to bother the 95% copper coins, at least not as severely.

The other half of that field is holding the silver.  And my advice fee is only 20%.

• Haha 4

I hope I didn't mislead you when in some of my posts I use the phrase "mow the lawn" to mean getting complete ground coverage from your swing pattern.  🙄  Hey, works for you, though....

Do you think the cause of those corroded modern nickel-alloy coins' deterioration is from fertilizer?  It doesn't seem to bother the 95% copper coins, at least not as severely.

The other half of that field is holding the silver.  And my advice fee is only 20%.

It could well be. I see a lot of lime where I'm digging too, I also imagine other chemicals like oil and grease. They work on the farm vehicles in this spot, I've dug lots of grease gun pull tabs and the discs they pull out with them here. They hit exactly the penny IDs.

I will send you 20% of the silver I find if what you write is true. 😀 Maybe I'll find another 20% of that Trime...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Finished up the other half of the small field today, Sorry @GB_Amateur, there was no silver. Brutal day, it never got out of the 50s and the wind blew 15mph+ all day. The only saving grace was that it was sunny. The farmer was out there turbo tilling (yay), so when it warms up later this week I'll have the whole 200 acres completely flat and tilled. 🥳 He's also going to do the fields in front of my house! Can't wait.

Finds were sparse but cool, got the most interesting rein guide yet, my first "Merry Widows" tin (I've been reading that people find these all the time, wondered when I would dig one), it was a 19-21 ID. A lead splat that was too regularly lobed to ignore, and an IHP, so corroded I could only get "19" for a date. 😵20211115_185647.thumb.jpg.ea2c9efc156c6b7194385fcab7ce7451.jpg

This is what the Merry Widows tin looks like new, it holds 3 condoms. 🤗 Circa 1930. There are older ones that are 50 cents, and have 3 female names on them (1920s) the boxes are aluminum.1930s-vintage-advertising-merry_1_c7efae3e1ac1b91d6c837772b0ca1f67.thumb.jpg.b21705cd5eff386310be8b4004a3825c.jpg

I dug a lot of .22 caliber shells, shotgun shells, one .32 Auto shell, and a lot of molten metal and other junk like nails.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (update 2)

Excellent historical saves again!

Maybe it's just me, but if I were purchasing 3 Merry Widows for $1.00, I would prefer 3 new ones instead of 3 selected and tested ones. 😎

• Haha 5

On 11/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, F350Platinum said:

Got a great link about the Dr. Scholl's metal plate. It was called the "Foot-Eazer":

https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/single-post/dr-scholls/

Apparently it was a metal plate attached to a piece of leather that provided arch support. 🤯 It dates back to 1911.

they came in two and three pieces...somewhere I have a good one in my pile of junk lol...

strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Excellent historical saves again!

Maybe it's just me, but if I were purchasing 3 Merry Widows for $1.00, I would prefer 3 new ones instead of 3 selected and tested ones. 😎

That was my first thought as well, and no matter the cost......TESTED???? EEEEEEEWW!!!

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

Yesterday they came and turbo tilled the fields. I saw this as an opportunity to go back to the first spot I hunted to see if there was anything I didn't find because of the corn stalks. The field is flat now and I can swing the detector almost flat on the ground.20211116_104052.thumb.jpg.97eb063c25fae92aa2cace34a1e95845.jpg

Another beautiful day, it only got into the 50s but the wind was lighter than yesterday. I hunted this field back to the large tree, this was the "backyard" of the old farmhouse, there is a driveway and there were two sheds. I completely covered this spot again, and really didn't find much. When I was done I went out to the racetrack. About two thirds of the 200 acres here are tilled, the rest is going to be left "no till" to compare crop yields. Imagine having all this to yourself...20211116_160015.thumb.jpg.160cd6f238817019eba8849f03efbfc0.jpg20211116_160031.thumb.jpg.74c408e8546813ebe6a3407972545a66.jpg

... But there really isn't much here. You can walk for a long time out in the distance and only hear an iron blip now and again.

here are the finds for day 3:20211116_183119.thumb.jpg.01d4a9bce3e2a852d4ac9f2ca9e13cde.jpg

Brass button marked P.O.D, a postal service button from the 1890s to about 1970. This is an old one, it is two piece with backmarks.20211116_183215.thumb.jpg.0c1f4b8d05ac613a5682bc8ff28d2726.jpg

Got a silver plated button near the racetrack along with the modern coins. Oldest coin is the 1962 D penny. Aluminum button, tack stud, watch crown, rivet with a star on it, and a piece of decorated metal, not sure from what.

I wasn't too surprised that I didn't find any more coins in the back field, more proud to know I got all there were. 😀

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Sometimes You Just Have To Mow (update 3)