Hello From South Central Kansas

Momokahn

I just signed up and have been in and out of metal detecting for years. I still wield the Fisher CZ-5 but am looking for another metal detector that can do things better than my "coin zapper".  I saw this forum and quickly realized this is where the experts reside.  Hello everyone

Welcome! What areas are you going to be hunting, and what are you hoping to find in Kansas?

There are a lot of choices out there for a new detector. You're signing in at the start of the multifrequency boom, apparently it's going to be exciting. If it's gold you're after you are also in the right place.

• Like 1

I mainly hit areas where people frequent and I have access to abandoned industrial sites that are owned by my current employer.  Some have been demolished and some still stand.  I have worked for my employer for 42 years so I have excellent knowledge of these sites history.  One of these sites is from the 1920's and includes a lake that is still utilized today for recreation.

• Like 3

I mainly hit areas where people frequent and I have access to abandoned industrial sites that are owned by my current employer.  Some have been demolished and some still stand.  I have worked for my employer for 42 years so I have excellent knowledge of these sites history.  One of these sites is from the 1920's and includes a lake that is still utilized today for recreation.

Unless one of our more experienced detectorists jumps in about the Fisher, sounds like you would want to get an all purpose detector like the Equinox. I can tell you I've used it on farms, at the beach, around old sites dating to the 1600s, you name it. I'm also probably the most prolific (annoying?) finds poster. 😀 

2022 looks like a year when a whole slew of "do it all" detectors are going to hit the market, it's a tough call. However, the Equinox has been a safe bet for quite some time. It's gonna be expensive, $650 for the 600 (which I use) to around $1000 for the 800. They may come out with a newer one next year. I presume you have other detecting gear, like a pinpointer and good plug shovel? 

• Like 2

Oh yeah I couldn't live without my pinpointer.  It's an old White's.  Work's great.  No doubt the Equinox (both flavors) are excellent machines.  I'm not rich by any stretch but when it does come to my next detector I'm not going to skimp.  The headaches and misery aren't worth it at 60 years old.  I'm pretty excited to see what Nokta Macro is going to unveil on the 19th.  I know their target is on the Equinox series but how they can attempt to unseat such a popular metal detector will be interesting

• Like 2

Oh yeah I couldn't live without my pinpointer.  It's an old White's.  Work's great.  No doubt the Equinox (both flavors) are excellent machines.  I'm not rich by any stretch but when it does come to my next detector I'm not going to skimp.  The headaches and misery aren't worth it at 60 years old.  I'm pretty excited to see what Nokta Macro is going to unveil on the 19th.  I know their target is on the Equinox series but how they can attempt to unseat such a popular metal detector will be interesting.

I'm very interested in the upcoming NM machine myself, I wish I could be interested in the Deus 2. Garrett has the interesting Apex, which was advertised but not available when I bought my first detector over a year ago, an Ace 400. Didn't take me long to move up.

Looks like we're on the same page, and I'm only 1 year older. I did get the luxury of early retirement, and my wife supports my hobby. On that subject I am blessed 😇 I've found her some nice jewelry, and even cool stuff for the grandkids.

Read up, ask questions - this is the right place to be. We also like descriptions of hunts and pictures of finds. 😀 Looking forward to hearing more from ya!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, there are so many machines out it is tough to choose. Sounds like you hunt some tough areas that have a lot of debris and trash. Sit back and see how the new machines do when after everyone clammers for them.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum and already a few of the best people have already pointed you in the right direction.

I also have the 800 that I got from my grandfather and it is a really great machine.

I will be looking forward to read some of your stories and seeing your pictures of your adventures.

Any time you need to ask questions please do and know that someone will be able to answer them with the knowledge and skills that are on this forum. Many people and the owner of this forum knows quite a lot about any unit that you might want answers to.

Welcome and rest assured that your in good company here.

• Like 1

Hearing Steve on a podcast convinced me this is a forum to join and not just lurk like I do others.  The best treasure I have been finding lately is just being outdoors.  Oh yeah throw in $5 dollars in clad and an ankle bracelet last Sunday...lot of fun.  No gold (at least nuggets) here in Kansas so I don't have to worry about that fever.  Hopefully the manufacturer's are going to woo us off our feet with SMF.  My CZ-5 already operates at 5 and 15.  Let's hope the manufacturer's encore performance of this technology was worth the wait.  I think it will be.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Hello From South Central Kansas