Hello From South Central Kansas

Momokahn

Welcome aboard momokahn !

Your decision will be hard , lots of machines (from vapor ware to new and old(er) to pick from .

Reading others postings on the different models here should help narrow it down.

Then it will be down to getting a coil over something good.....and good luck to ya ! On detector choice AND targets. 

• Like 2

I mainly hit areas where people frequent and I have access to abandoned industrial sites that are owned by my current employer.  Some have been demolished and some still stand.  I have worked for my employer for 42 years so I have excellent knowledge of these sites history.  One of these sites is from the 1920's and includes a lake that is still utilized today for recreation.

Welcome, Momokahn!

Sounds like you have some excellent sites just waiting for you -- and hopefully you are the first there with a detector.

The best detectors available today and almost literally tomorrow (compared to your classic Fisher CZ) offer better target separation which will be very useful in those industrial sites which tend to have lots of iron.  (I've been detecting one of those this summer and have another one which I've searched off and on for the last 6 years.)  A private(?) recreational lake with 100 year history?  Oh, man, those are among the best.

If you needed to go out *today* and buy, the Minelab Equinox and (hopefully discounted) XP Deus are very good at separation.  But if you can wait a few months we've been told by two major manufacturers (Nokta/Makro and XP) that they will be releasing to the market brand new Simultaneous MultiFrequency (SiMF) units by Christmas.  (Well, one manufacturer and the other's distributors have said that....)  By early springtime you should have four rather than two modern fast detectors to choose from.  (Although Garrett's Apex is another contender, performancewise it seems it's a step below the Equinox, but it's also priced as such.  Ditto the Minelab Vanquish series.)

Back when desktop and laptop computers were being cranked out like hotcakes with new processors, bigger hardrives, etc. every few months, there was a dilemma about the "wait a bit" for the next release since that strategy could always be employed, leaving the waiter in a constant holding pattern / infinite loop.  New high end detectors only come on average about once a year (at best, more like every 2 or 3 years) and even though the manufacturers like to play this game of teasing with photos of their next model (which may only be a concept or possibly a prototype), the reality is what's available now is usually all you're going to see for quite a while.  I hope we're in an exception period.  We've been tricked before so I'm always skeptical until I see them being sold, but given the New Year is ~50 days away and that's when we've been told they will already be 'on the shelves'...err at online sites anyway, I'd make an exception if I were you and wait a couple months to see if those predictions/promises come to fruition.  In the meantime your CZ5 will give you a good 'survey' detector to find the hotspots of those sites you're salivating to search.  Of course mine is just one opinion and you're getting good advice from others already.

• Like 4

No gold (at least nuggets) here in Kansas

Then you haven't tried around Norton then.

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Then you haven't tried around Norton then.

Nuggets or just fine gold?

...Gold can certainly be found in Kansas, especially in the far northeastern corner of the state where glaciers once covered the area.

There were no verified reports of any commercial gold mining operations within the state of Kansas. Although the gold is small and almost always extremely fine textured flour gold, it is present in many creeks within the previously glaciated area and can be recovered by careful gold panning technique.

Above quote taken from https://raregoldnuggets.com/?p=654

That's an interesting blog website but I can't find who writes it.  Seems to be pretty knowledgeable -- I say that from checking out a couple of his posts.  Might even be a member here on DetectorProspector??

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nuggets or just fine gold?

Mostly fine gold, but I have picked up a few 3 and 4 gram nuggets while panning.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Hello From South Central Kansas
On 11/11/2021 at 6:43 AM, Momokahn said:

I just signed up and have been in and out of metal detecting for years. I still wield the Fisher CZ-5 but am looking for another metal detector that can do things better than my "coin zapper".  I saw this forum and quickly realized this is where the experts reside.  Hello everyone

Really loved my old CZ-5 - an all time favorite. Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

South Central Kansas?  Sounds like the Wichita area.  Don't overlook the Native American artifacts on the Arkansas River area.  And there should be a lot of old oil boom ghost towns if you drop down into Oklahoma too.  BTW, Welcome to the forum!  The CZ is still a good machine for coins or relics.  But as mentioned from others here, the Equinox is tough to beat especially for the price.  I never thought that I would choose any detector over my CTX 3030 for dirt detecting but my first grab is my Equinox 800.  Keep the forum posted on your adventures.  

PS  42 years is a long time nowdays to be with the same employer.  I retired a couple years ago with 43 years with my last employer.  (and 7 with my first and 2 with Uncle Sam)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not much more I can say to you Momo, other than welcome to the forum! The rest of the "crew" here have got you covered  and up to date!!

Keep us informed in any case! We don't mind seeing finds from old detectors either! The CZ is no slouch!! Good luck!🍀👍👍

• Like 1