The Curse Of Oak Island And The Minelab Ctx-3030

Did the Curse of Oak Island ever shape your or anyone you knows initial view of the CTX-3030? 

Nope.  Neither did "The Detectorists" :smile:. Seriously though, none of these faux reality detecting shows or even most you tube "influencers" shape my views on detecting equipment for the simple reason that videos can be edited easily and you never know who might be sponsoring these shows/videos behind the scenes.  

Gary actually is first and foremost a beach hunter, I believe.  If you asked him what machine he prefers above all others it's probably the Excal or it's BBS sibling, the Sov.  Gary is probably simply a fan of BBS/FBS tech because he knows the detector inside and out.  Not sure what the trash density situation is a Oak Island, but from what I can tell it is not an issue, therefore recovery speed is not an issue.  Also, they are not really searching for micro gold targets. So that CTX weakness is also not of significance there.  Probably, the thing the CTX brings to the table is hyper accurate Target ID via target trace and that may be the feature (missing on Equinox) that is of most use for Gary and Co.

Regarding FBS and FBS2, I have noted that ML of late consciously avoids explicit mention of the number of frequencies simultaneously transmitted in FBS/FBS2 technical descriptions.  Instead, referring only to "simultaneous multiple" frequency transmission.  I have been told that ML was conflating simultaneous frequency transmission numbers with the number of available transmission channels that are used to avoid detector-to-detector and other EM interference similar to the noise cancel channels utilized on Equinox.  FWIW.

• Like 5

It would be nice  to see a discussion some day where people just talk about the capabilities of metal detectors when comparing them and forget about comparing prices...yes we all are concerned very much about how much something will cost but price and functionality are two different things...Never watched the show for more than 5 minutes couple years ago...but he obviously can swing any detector he wants...probably likes the 3030 because of its ID capabilities and good depth that he was able to get out of it in the mild Florida beaches? He made some great finds with it there.

Back to the money thing...How much is is worth to not have to dig thousands of bottle caps in a trash littered park? How much is it worth to have a machine that is fully automated and requires little input from the handler while running it?

I have a gold coin and my biggest gold ring both ID'd in the bottle cap range on my Equinox...what if I had notched out those numbers? F2 kinda helps with caps but it's not all that great IMHO In vitro air testing it seems to work but when doing real time In vivo experimenting here where I hunt (trashy beach with lots of black sand) its not so great... I can use my 3030 on this beach... without having to analyze every bottle cap that I come across...the 3030 just ignores them...I will find less stuff but they will mostly be what I expect when I dig it. If they could make a 3030 that was as light and as fast as the Equinox...then Bye Bye Equinox 🙂 

strick

• Like 2

The first time I saw the 3030 , he had a GIANT coil on it.

I seem to recall last season on one show he used a GPX5000 with a huge coil.  (Might have been one of the 'preseason' teaser shows this year, though.)

Regarding Minelab's role, I have noticed a few times (seems to be in the most recent seasons) the narrator mentioning the brand and model name of detector(s).  I don't think this would happen without Minelab 'contributing' money.  Last year when they dug up and investigated a drilling core, the workers (not Drayton) were using a Garrett Carrot to look for metal within it.  This season (I think there has only been one 'official' episode on standard cable -- maybe more streamed -- after about four weeks of leadup teasing) they were using a Minelab pinpointer....

• Like 2

Ya knowwww.I was thinking about what Gary probably gets paid on that show.....

If I (or most of us) was him.......🤔  Probably spend a good chunk of it on new gear !!!!Arrrrrrrrrr

I bet wherever he hangs his detectors is quite a sight to see ! 😜

I haven't been watching that show regularly but when I first did the few shows I did watch , Gary WAS using an Equinox .

The first time I saw the 3030 , he had a GIANT coil on it.

And the last show I saw , it was still the 3030. .... clips of the actual detectors are going by quick. 

The rest of the show,,,,,,,meh.  Gary IS the star ,,,,,,isn't he ??????? well , to us anyway.

And yes , I agree . There are many here that could probably teach him a thing or two.

But he might be portrayed differently on the screen than he is in person.

Not putting down his previous finds either . Location location location ,,,,really makes a difference. His relic knowledge seems pretty extensive though so I'm guessing he has some serious years under his detector harness..........possibly some archaeology (sp?) background ?

The Nox and 3030 are said to be complimentary , would be nice to see the best of both in just one or the other IMO.

I look at them as complimentary as well. To me they fit like a lock and key in terms of their abilities. It’s a deadly duo. I cannot wait to see what Minelab comes up with combining the best of these technologies. 

Nope.  Neither did "The Detectorists" :smile:. Seriously though, none of these faux reality detecting shows or even most you tube "influencers" shape my views on detecting equipment for the simple reason that videos can be edited easily and you never know who might be sponsoring these shows/videos behind the scenes.  

Gary actually is first and foremost a beach hunter, I believe.  If you asked him what machine he prefers above all others it's probably the Excal or it's BBS sibling, the Sov.  Gary is probably simply a fan of BBS/FBS tech because he knows the detector inside and out.  Not sure what the trash density situation is a Oak Island, but from what I can tell it is not an issue, therefore recovery speed is not an issue.  Also, they are not really searching for micro gold targets. So that CTX weakness is also not of significance there.  Probably, the thing the CTX brings to the table is hyper accurate Target ID via target trace and that may be the feature (missing on Equinox) that is of most use for Gary and Co.

Regarding FBS and FBS2, I have noted that ML of late consciously avoids explicit mention of the number of frequencies simultaneously transmitted in FBS/FBS2 technical descriptions.  Instead, referring only to "simultaneous multiple" frequency transmission.  I have been told that ML was conflating simultaneous frequency transmission numbers with the number of available transmission channels that are used to avoid detector-to-detector and other EM interference similar to the noise cancel channels utilized on Equinox.  FWIW.

I love Detectorists. Sad they didn’t make any more seasons. I am just like Lance with my equipment. Anyone who want to see me itch and crawl out of my skin only has to pick up one of my machines and start playing around with it. 

Once in a while I will learn something very valuable from some of YouTube testers. Scannerguy68 taught me something about how to work the V3is 3 frequency pinpoint no motion among commingled targets I’ve never forgotten. I’ve been using it ever since still amazed at how it turned one of the Vs weaknesses into a hidden strength. 

Gary is primarily a beach hunter on the Florida treasure coast. Makes me wonder how they discovered him and decided to bring him aboard. They could’ve had anybody they wanted. Might just be the personality. He’s like their pet Englishman. They seem to get a kick out of the accent more than what he’s actually saying haha. 

"Fake Island" is more like it.

Drayton won't even dig his own holes he's so "elite". Ridiculous! No respect from me for the guy or the show.

• Like 1

Rob , no need to respect it..

I call them "Reality My Ass" TV shows. Plot generated by writers that never held a detector....meh ! The actual finds seem less contrived but if planting one is easier for the production it will happen too. The actual treasure is in the advertising ....

Yup yup on the "pinch digger" skuh kuh kuh kuh 

Basically just a roadie. (A senior cast member gets an understudy as a job perk) Later , that guy is swinging the 3030 and giving scripted "detector guru advise"  lines Gary fed him...

It was funny seeing one of the brothers doing the digging though... "talent" has a shovel only for the camera . But he WAS digging LOL.