The Curse Of Oak Island And The Minelab Ctx-3030

I wondered how long it would take for the dissers to show up.  It looked to me as though Cipher used the show as a lead in to get information on the CTX3030.  Clever (even if that wasn't his intent).

There are at least three things present:

1) Oak Island, its history, its hidden content;

2) The current search team;

3) The TV production, crew, advertisers, network,....

To lump all three together doesn't take much thought.  "Guilt by association."  To package *all* TV shows about treasure and gold in one critical swipe -- same simple path.  How about throwing all so-called 'reality TV' shows in with them?  How simple and complete!

How many people said the Fenn Treasure was a hoax?  When it was found, most just crawled back in their holes.  The fringe even stuck with the party line and said the 'find' was actually Fenn inviting a friend over to his house to take some pictures of the 'discovery' which was never hidden (well, except in Fenn's house).

On 11/13/2021 at 9:04 AM, GB_Amateur said:

"Guilt by association."  To package *all* TV shows about treasure and gold in one critical swipe -- same simple path.  How about throwing all so-called 'reality TV' shows in with them?  How simple and complete!

How many people said the Fenn Treasure was a hoax?  When it was found, most just crawled back in their holes.  The fringe even stuck with the party line and said the 'find' was actually Fenn inviting a friend over to his house to take some pictures of the 'discovery' which was never hidden (well, except in Fenn's house).

First, Chuck, perhaps I am reading too much into your comments but I detect some level of resentment that folks have a negative perception of the Mystery of Oak Island show that betrays your "Guilt by Association" premise.  As result, I find it ironic that you are lumping Oak Island skeptics in the same bin as Fenn Treasure conspiracy theorists when reality it is much more nuanced than that.

Let's start with the Fenn folks - > focusing solely on the situation after the treasure was found, they seem to be clearly manufacturing a number of conspiracy theories out of the thinnest of threads of uncertainty.  Who knows the various motivations - jealousy, greed, disappointment in not finding the treasure themselves, mental stability issues, obsession, or the simple unwillingness to face the reality that the thrill of the chase is over.  In this case, the critics seems to want to keep the chase alive in some sense (to prove it was a hoax or to disprove the widely accepted "solve" (btw - since when did we abandon the proper grammatic term - "solution"? - but I digress), for various divergent motivations, as bizarre as that sounds.

Contrast this to the skeptics of the Mystery of Oak Island - The show must go on, and the Lagina brothers seem to be willing to milk Oak Island for all it's manufactured drama glory.  Their operation is neither a true treasure hunt nor an archeological venture in the sense of a traditional expedition to find a known storm sunken Spanish galleon or the long lost tomb of an ancient monarch.  It is built upon the thinnest of historical evidence, actual finds, and anecdotal "clues" with a grab bag of audacious theories of who was really there and what they may have left behind.  The SHOW is creating the theories rather than the "fans" and the skeptics are merely pointing out what seems fairly obvious - something mysterious was definitely happening on Oak Island -but who knows if it was historically or monetarily significant or a potential major disappointment like the mystery of Al Capone's vault.  With the resources at their disposal - heavy equipment and cofferdams galore - it seems the island should have been totally dismantled at this point.  But the show still continues apparently fueled by the brothers' obsession and indisputably by revenue from the TV show's commercial success.

So in one case, Fenn, the fans/skeptics are keeping the mystery alive and in the other case the "stars of the show" are keeping a the mystery alive with a cadre of doubters nipping at their heels.

Hardly simple and complete...

For the record - I do not believe the Fenn saga was a hoax and I do believe the treasure puzzle was indeed solved as intended by Fenn.  Oak Island seems like a virtual media driven gold mine with the appropriate mix of undocumented mystery, weird forgotten structures, and big personalities with deep pockets who can seem willing to keep the mystery alive for as long as possible by carefully orchestrated episodic "close calls" keeping the mystery close but just out of reach.  My reasoning is simple - in Fenn's case there really doesn't seem to be a credible motive (either fame or fortune) that would drive Fenn to perpetrate a hoax.  In the case of Oak Island, it seems that the Lagina brothers are motivated to keep the show alive as solving the mystery is likely a less lucrative proposition.

That's my take, anyway.  At least this thread debunked one premise - that Gary Drayton was solely using the CTX and eschewing the Equinox [see what I did there to thread on topic?  :smile:]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Oak Island seems like a virtual media driven gold mine with the appropriate mix of undocumented mystery, weird forgotten structures, and big personalities with deep pockets who can seem willing to keep the mystery alive for as long as possible by carefully orchestrated episodic "close calls" keeping the mystery close but just out of reach.  My reasoning is simple - in Fenn's case there really doesn't seem to be a credible motive (either fame or fortune) that would drive Fenn to perpetrate a hoax.  In the case of Oak Island, it seems that the Lagina brothers are motivated to keep the show alive as solving the mystery is likely a less lucrative proposition.

My Fenn Treasure vs. Oak Island Mystery may have been a bad comparison.  But one thing in common is that in the case of the Fenn Treasure, the current skeptics (and some previous skeptics) rely on deception/dishonesty by the protagonists (Fenn and to some, the reported finder) to make their case.  Currently on Oak Island many of the dissers also rely on deception/dishonesty to support their viewpoint.

Certainly the TV show and its interests (executives, advertisers,...) complicate (soft word?) the situation.  The tradeoff for the treasure hunters is that they compromise their values to get added investment money to supplement the costs of their search.

You imply that the current search team (headed by Rick Lagina, Marty Lagina, and Craig Tester, the latter two being deep pockets who allowed them to get there in the first place) are dragging their feet and could come up with a solution but want to extend the number of seasons.  That's pretty strong accusation of dishonesty, IMO.

My beef with the three leaders is aimed at Marty Lagina for his supporting of completely disconnected and worse, completely fictitious "ancient alien" connection.  Kevin Burns (now deceased and BTW no relation to Ken Burns of Public Television documentary fame), the creator/producer of the TV show also had the same role for History Channel's Ancient Aliens series and he saw a way to attract viewers from one show to the other and vice versa.

I made a point of saying there are currently 3 parts to the Oak Island saga.  Holding the mystery itself (possibly treasure but still unproven) responsible for the other two is unfair.  Holding the current search team as resposible for the shortcomings (another nice word) of the TV production brass and show has a bit more merit, but to me it's the TV production brass that should get the wrath for the misleading/innacurate, etc. information passed as truth/fact.  Do the searchers get compensated for allowing and participating in the TV production.  For sure.  Does that taint their involvement.  I just gave a good example, so 'yes'.  Does that mean they're simply (or primarily) in this to milk as many seasons (and thus as much money, fame, etc.) as possible???  IMO, they are what they say they are -- both (monetary) treasure hunters but also investigators of what really happened there prior to 1795.

It would be nice to know how much the TV show is pumping into the search and recovery costs.  I can say for certain I have no idea and I'm also rather certain no one on this forum does either.  A friend of mine who was in the TV entertainment business (but as a 'gopher', not a decision maker) pointed out to me a long time ago that the reason the TV industry likes reality shows is that they don't have to pay big bucks to the staff as on traditional TV shows their with big stars and associated huge salaries.  But now that History Channel depends a lot on the success of this show, it's certainly possible they are shoving serious bucks in the direction of the search team....

On the one hand I wish the TV world weren't involved because of their slimy tactics, but at the same time I wouldn't know as much about what's going on now (and be able to see evidence of what went on in the past) as that mixed bag has made possible.

• Like 3

Here is what happened. That guy that was an ex-slave turned free man found it ALL!

That dude found the treasure. Case closed!

• Like 1

Chase and GB,

I've looked at all the points you both made, and actually find them complementary to each other in many ways! You both are well versed, and all the observations made have truth in them! 

I've also done some of my own research on both "treasures"! And when taken at face value, without all the hype, are both valid in there own right! I have a love of the history, and ingenuity that went into both stories, and all the work that was done in both cases! And especially with Oak Island, l try and look past the personalities of the particular players i find sometimes irritating, and floating false narratives; including the constant "Could It Be??" narration!! Not always easy, but necessary to enjoy the core of the show's story, and get what I really want, which isn't necessarily the monetary objectives being sought after! But that is unfortunately, usually the driving force to make any of these attractive to the TV masses! 👍👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, phrunt said:

Yes, for a majority of the first episode when they show the metal detecting expert he is using the CTX, but for one small quick second they show a target recovery where he's using the Nox with 15x12" coil, so he obviously uses both, and rightly so they complement each other well.  I love the CTX for deep silvers, I thought I was doing well with the Nox until I got a CTX and it was finding coins I am 100% sure I missed with the Nox and my other detectors for whatever reason.... perhaps just my poor ground coverage ability. 🙂

1855847487_NoxOakIsland.thumb.png.3be851365efbd38dae5c2ae181d99552.png

Looking at that picture I figure Gary is a genius. That is what I need. A younger person doing all the digging for me. Gary is smarter than I thought he was. Never really thought he was dumb. You don't get to be on a popular show like that being dumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1