The King Of Detectors Has Spoken

I'm very envious of yours finds Gerry, In all areas of detecting you manage to find what others can only dream of.   You put in the hard yards no doubt about it.  If I was only worried about success in finds I'd be out finding coins and jewellery as without a doubt I can have far more success, I could go out now and find a silver coin within an hour almost guaranteed.  I can't say the same for gold nuggets, my last 3 hunts have come up empty which is quite unusual for me lately, I've rarely had a skunk until these recent hunts although my usual days are usually under 1/4 a gram a day 🙂  Perhaps I need to try a new spot.

I think you need to give yourself more of the credit, or others will expect your success too 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Guess I'm an odd duck, as me and selling detector finds doesn't happen.  Like I said above,  as I get older,  I'm starting to think maybe selling is'nt as painful as I think?

For me it’s 100% about the hunt. You are pretty normal I think, as most people keep all the stuff they find, even stuff I think I’d throw away immediately. It’s me that’s more the odd duck when it comes to finds. I’m very zen when it comes to “stuff” in that I attach no real value to physical items. It takes up space and must be taken care of. One big value I get on this website and my stories is the show and tell. Because I never show my finds to real people in real life. It’s all locked up if of real value, and not worth the trouble of a trip to the bank to do show and tell. I also know too many people like us that have had a life’s worth of detecting ripped off, and it’s usually not by strangers, sorry to say.

So for me the value is the hunt, plus the story and the photos. With that done, I prefer to sell when I’m in the mood. As you note, it does no good in a bank vault. More realistically, who am I saving it for? If I die tomorrow, my wife and kids, who attach no value to any of it, would just sell it as a lot for lousy prices. At least me doing it, I can get what I want for it, and enjoy the proceeds, maybe by spending it on them.

Hard to do if you put sentimental value in stuff, I get that. I guess I’m lucky in that regard, as I’m immune from the demands of our consumer society to own stuff. My wife more than makes up for it though, so it’s a tug of war, her buying “stuff”, and me getting rid of it! The Salvation Army and others do well by me. :smile:

I do like hunting jewelry. If not gold nuggets, it’s the next best thing, sometimes even better.

• Like 9

I usually tell people that I leave the gold mine to go and play in the dirt...it’s ridiculous how much money I loose when I pick up a metal detector..but at least then...I’m happy. 

Strick

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Truth with me be told, I'm more of "all about the trip", adventure, the food/people, comradery.  The gold is a bonus.

As it should be, I was just joking about paying off the detector.

For me I am more relaxed when I am out metal detecting. I am still learning the 800 and when I get just a little bit better I plan to have a trip out west for an adventure.

Keep on swinging and having a great time out there as long as you can.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2

I used to nugget hunt and I belonged to the local prospecting club for a few years, but, then reality stepped in and slapped me in the face. If I could find enough in the way of gold nuggets in my local area, that would be one thing, but, just the fuel costs alone kept me in the red. A simple look at my finds from my various hunting venues showed me the error of my ways. I was finding MUCH more gold and other valuables at my local parks and beaches than I was prospecting. The target recovery process was much easier on this old body too! Now if I had a claim near by that had some decent size nuggets.....

• Like 5

On 11/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, Lunk said:

Nice haul, amigo! The 6k is a monarch of a machine indeed.

Can't wait wait to see how you do in AZ...

• Like 2