Pin Pointing With The 11” Coil

billdean

Coming from the Monster 1000 with many hour using it with the 5” coil, I have had trouble with GPX 6000 pin pointing my targets. A few times I get it right but more times I don’t. It would sure be nice not to have to spend so much time trying to figure out where that dang piece is. Of course I only have about 6 or 8 hours on the machine. I am sure with time I will work it out but is there any pointers to help me along a little? Also this is my first gold with the GPX 6000. A nice .25 gram nugget.

EB1C5932-8102-45D0-874D-662570F5F844.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice little piece! You will work out a system. I sort of sneak up on the target from several sides and move material away a little at a time until its pretty localized. Also, you may need to scrape a larger area than you are used to because of coil size and potential for deeper targets.

48 minutes ago, billdean said:

Monster 1000 with many hour using it with the 5” coil

Hi Bill, 

Nice nugget first up  😉

The Gold Monster coils are DD and the GPX6 11" is a mono so pinpointing is going to be a little different.  Essentially everywhere around the outside of the 11" coil should give you a response on the target.  Pretty much where that indented line is right near your nugget in the picture.  Grab that little nugget in your fingers and run it over the top of the coil and you'll know exactly where it is.

From there, I just start from behind the target and advance the coil towards it (whilst swinging a small arc) until the coil crosses the target.  Turn 90 degrees and do the same thing.  You should be able to make a mental X marks the spot.  Harder with deeper targets that are giving a broader signal but essentially the same practice to try and zero in on the best spot to start digging.  

Hope that helps  👍

Good advice from these folks billdean, you will figure it out, continued good luck finding gold. 

you are not alone.  I've got exactly 100 nuggs with the 6 and still struggle with PPing.  From the looks of the scrape marks on coil from your scoop...it looks like you've figured out the coil edge is the sensitive area.  I do like Northeast does and once I find a target I back up, sneak up slowly on target, make mental note, do same from 90 degrees....and STILL HAVE TROUBLE....lol.  Time is valuable to me so when using the 6 if the ground isn't too steep or brushy I'll take along the Monster to speed up PPing.  Using the 6 I'll mark 6-8 targets with bright pink markers, set the 6 down and chase those targets down with the Monster.  Can't always do that but if you can it'll really free up some valuable time.... at least for me it does.

• Like 1

I have to use the GPX coil sticker on smaller targets as the edge of the coil is not able to hear small faint signals. On larger targets the already mentioned above works pretty good. I would also add I use the Pro-find 35  pinpointer on larger targets when I do not bring the Gold Bug 2 along. This pinpointer has a few learning challenges, but is very sensitive on 3 grain nuggets and a lot more so on larger targets saving me a lot of time and energy in locating targets and not having to lift up a 4.6 pound detector multiple times to locate a target. I felt I paid for my Pro-find 35 the first two days using it.

Ron’s Detector’s

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oneguy said:

you are not alone.  I've got exactly 100 nuggs with the 6 and still struggle with PPing.  From the looks of the scrape marks on coil from your scoop...it looks like you've figured out the coil edge is the sensitive area.  I do like Northeast does and once I find a target I back up, sneak up slowly on target, make mental note, do same from 90 degrees....and STILL HAVE TROUBLE....lol.  Time is valuable to me so when using the 6 if the ground isn't too steep or brushy I'll take along the Monster to speed up PPing.  Using the 6 I'll mark 6-8 targets with bright pink markers, set the 6 down and chase those targets down with the Monster.  Can't always do that but if you can it'll really free up some valuable time.... at least for me it does.

The stock 14” 7000 coil was the easiest to pinpoint, the nugget finder z search is not bad and as mentioned on small targets the edge sensitivity on the 6000 coils is not the best on small targets.

I do the same thing basically taking it a step farther sometimes if the signal is sounding really sweet or if I think it’s deeper. Coming off 90* swings I let the edge of the coil trace a line in the dirt just as the signal disappears, on shallow targets just two lines with the target in one of the corners and on deeper sounding signals I’ll go all the way around drawing a box in the dirt with the sweet spot in the center. After the target is out of the hole I use the Deus wiggle pulling the coil back slowly side to side until the signal disappears, the target is usually one or two passes away from my scoop. If the ground is to hard for the coil edge to make a mark I’ll use my boot or digging tool to draw a line instead, sometimes this saves time it just depends if I’m in the mood.

I glad to see I am not the only one. It is getting better. I went out today and slowed the process down a little bit and concentrated specifically on pping the targets. I am always in a hurry to see what I have found under that coil, which usually costs me a lot more time and a sorer back. Today I spent more time with actually pping the targets. It’s hard to over come that instance gratification feeling of what maybe in your scoop, and scoop after scoop there is nothing. I need better detecting skills it appears! 

As everyone has already stated, with time you will get better. I am also doing some of the same things that you describe, and can state for a fact that with time I have gotten better.

Soon I will be able to hit the right spot the first time, but for now I sweep one direction turn to another side of the target and sweep again. That gives me a really good point to dig, I sometimes am off by a couple of inches but I have been able to find the target without to much trouble.

Good luck and be patient as it will all come together for you.

• Like 1