Broken Minelab CTX 3030 Coil Ear

phrunt

So my 17" CTX 3030 has already formed a crack in it's coil ear, I don't trust it now so I want to 3D Print a strengthener and glue it on.

Does anyone have 3D print templates for the CTX coils, especially the 17" but I'd like them for all of the coil sizes if possible so I can do it to all of my coils.

I'm finding sellers of the 3D printed ears mostly in the US and UK so shipping is an issue, easier to just make one here if I could get the template.

I used a bit of uPVC solvent primer and then uPVC glue and that seemed to dissolve the plastic at the crack and melt it back together, so that's looking pretty good, I just want to glue the 3D printed strengthener on there now, the coil ears are pitifully thin for such a big coil.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

This is all I could find. Maybe it will be of some use.

Coil repair ears minelab CTX3030 17

Thanks, yea that's all I could find too, that one requires you to remove your current ears to use it, not my thing. 

There are a number of Ebay sellers selling them, however shipping prices are a bit off the mark, many want $50 USD to ship the things.  I gave in and ordered one from the UK that was 20 pounds to ship it and about 15 pounds to buy it, about $70 NZD in total I guess. 

So I spent a crazy amount of money on something I could have made for about $2 and now I have to see if it even arrives 😛

• Oh my! 1

I broke the ears off my 17" 3030 coil years ago.  It is a combination of a design flaw and inflexible material.  I searched and searched and finally decided to take off the 'old ears' that were defective and mount the shaft into something better.

Now I had something better but how do you mount the ears onto the old coil?  You take the old ears off and either glue, fiberglass or pull tie it into place.  My functional coil has never bothered me again.

I've posted the picture on another thread.

Seems the CTX 3030's coils have the same problem the NOX's coils have..... I was not aware of this issue....

I was considering buying the vanquish 540 but I wonder if it has the same  issue with the coils ears???? Time will tell....  Good luck repairing your coil...  P.S. For such expensive gear you would expect better quality and not have to deal with such  issues.... I have never had any issues with my much cheaper fisher coils...... Good Luck! Michael

On 9/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, mh9162013 said:

Wait, whuddid I miss?

On 1/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, EL NINO77 said:

Will Coiltek produce new coils for Equinox?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, michaelgolden said:

I was considering buying the vanquish 540 but I wonder if it has the same  issue with the coils ears???? Time will tell....

Yes, it seems plenty of CTX owners have had coil ear problems over the years, it's not unusual at all by the sounds of it but mostly with the 17" and 11" coils, never have I seen someone break a 6" coils ears.  The Vanquish coils have the same flimsy ears as the Equinox although so far I've not seen anyone break one. 

Being the detector isn't waterproof so won't be used in the water near as much which stresses the ears and most people with a Vanquish end up with a v10 coil which is quite small I doubt it'll have the ear breaking problems as bad.  Also being entry level I'd expect a lot more weekend warriors will own it using it a lot less than the Nox and CTX owners which should mean less breakage, just an assumption there.  I think the Vanquish should be quite safe from the problem.

• Like 1

There is a epoxy that a friend has used to fix his cracks on his equipment and he gets it from a local auto parts store. It is used to bond plastic to plastic or plastic to metal and sticks like iron. It has not had a problem for over 2 years that I can remember.

I will try to find out what the actual name of it is on Wednesday when I see him again.

• Like 2

Being the detector isn't waterproof so won't be used in the water near as much which stresses the ears and most people with a Vanquish end up with a v10 coil which is quite small I doubt it'll have the ear breaking problems as bad.  Also being entry level I'd expect a lot more weekend warriors will own it using it a lot less than the Nox and CTX owners which should mean less breakage, just an assumption there.  I think the Vanquish should be quite safe from the problem.

Thanks for the advice,   phrunt, I will certainly take it into consideration when and if I purchase the 540, Best, Michael

•  

• The title was changed to Broken Minelab CTX 3030 Coil Ear