Anybody Know If This Will Charge The GPX 6000?

billdean

This is from Steve’s GPX 6000 accessories page. 

The following items do not come with the GPX 6000, but are likely to work with it based on what is known so far. This is preliminary guesswork, and it is not advised a purchase be made based solely on the information presented here.image.jpeg.e10eac732566a4b044f8e879f6ebf489.jpeg

https://parts.minelab.com/0302-0082-p/0302-0082.htm

A $2 part that should come supplied with a multi thousand dollar machine I would suggest. But I already have one spare here for when I collect my own 6000 :rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billdean said:

This is from Steve’s GPX 6000 accessories page. 

The following items do not come with the GPX 6000, but are likely to work with it based on what is known so far. This is preliminary guesswork, and it is not advised a purchase be made based solely on the information presented here.image.jpeg.e10eac732566a4b044f8e879f6ebf489.jpeg

https://parts.minelab.com/0302-0082-p/0302-0082.htm

Should not be a problem. The 6000 has a 12 volt charge system. From either direct off the car cig socket or a spare battery. Make sure you have the time because the designed charge rate is only 1Amp.

The picture shows the plug which has an inbuilt fuse which is probably rated at 1Amp. cheers sturt

• Like 1

I really don’t want to charge the batteries in my car or truck. I want to charge my batteries in my RV with the supplied 12 volt plugs. I have 1500 watts of solar power, so time is not an issue to me. Charging direct from the battery uses less power than turning my inverter on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, billdean said:

I really don’t want to charge the batteries in my car or truck. I want to charge my batteries in my RV with the supplied 12 volt plugs. I have 1500 watts of solar power, so time is not an issue to me. Charging direct from the battery uses less power than turning my inverter on.

Thats okay, but you need to realize that even if you have good solar charging capacity during the day you need to be either at the RV when the suns up to charge the detector battery or make sure your RV storage battery can handle the charging time of 5 hours when you get back home later and run the appliances on the RV during the evening. 

Still an issue for me is the voltage input regulator set at 1Amp. If the manufacturers designed the 6000 battery with 2 Amp capacity you could charge the battery in half the time. Experts can come in here if im wrong, cheers sturt 

Still an issue for me is the voltage input regulator set at 1Amp. If the manufacturers designed the 6000 battery with 2 Amp capacity you could charge the battery in half the time. Experts can come in here if im wrong, cheers sturt 

It takes 5 to 8 hour to charge the battery. It's only taking that amount of amperage out of the charge source. I am not sure really what the amp hour capacity of the battery is, but again its not much, probably around 5 to 6 amp. You could charge that battery many times from one car battery. I fail to see an issue here.

They generally work, but may not. It’s not the adapters, but the way a vehicles 12V accessory plug is wired, and Minelab’s over sensitivity to borderline currents. That’s why they include the clip direct to battery system - it always works. With GPZ 7000 and 6000 I’ve had mixed results with cigarette style adapters, and am convinced it’s something like distance from battery, and wire gauge, as one receptacle might work, another not. In the end, it’s really Minelab’s circuit protection being very touchy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They generally work, but may not. It’s not the adapters, but the way a vehicles 12V accessory plug is wired, and Minelab’s over sensitivity to borderline currents. That’s why they include the clip direct to battery system - it always works. With GPZ 7000 and 6000 I’ve had mixed results with cigarette style adapters, and am convinced it’s something like distance from battery, and wire gauge, as one receptacle might work, another not. In the end, it’s really Minelab’s circuit protection being very touchy.

I ran large gauge wires directly from my battery (put a 10amp circuit breaker on the battery for it first) to a separate marine grade female cigarette lighter plug with a cap into my truck cab to cleanly power and charge my higher amp accessories like my portable fridge, HAM and CB radios, and my detector, drone and camera battery chargers.  The system works really well and there’s no issues with it shutting off with the ignition.

• Like 5

My ute has a factory installed 240V outlet on the back of the centre console, so all my mains chargers work. Also handy for when my son is in the back on extended trips and he can charge his devices. But I have 3 x cigarette sockets in the car and they all work fine with any charger I have tried. Actually never had any cigarette socket that wouldn't charge my detector batteries in about 4 x different vehicles in the last 10 years or so. But I follow Minelab's advice, turn the car on, then plug the charger in. 

• Like 2