In Need Of Recommendation

I have a customer with some logs that are about 30” to 36” in diameter.  He’s looking for a metal detector that would shoot about a foot into the wood.  (I tried a TDI SL with a 14” x 9” Elliptical and it only went 9”.)

What detector and coil combo manufactured today would work? The targets are mostly iron.

Thanks!

Walt

P.S: He was hoping to not have to spend too much as this may be a one time thing for this batch of logs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I have a customer with some logs that are about 30” to 36” in diameter.  He’s looking for a metal detector that would shoot about a foot into the wood.  (I tried a TDI SL with a 14” x 9” Elliptical and it only went 9”.)

What detector and coil combo manufactured today would work? The targets are mostly iron.

Thanks!

Walt

P.S: He was hoping to not have to spend too much as this may be a one time thing for this batch of logs.

1 foot is really deep for a metal target being in a log. Is he worried about the logs being spiked by vandals, or is he looking for old bullets or square nails imbedded in them over time? How big are the targets?

• Like 1

I have detected for metal in thousands of logs. The best I have found is a danged old Fisher bold bug. It's light, inexpensive, batteries are cheap and after decades it has never failed. It's depth is better in wood than in the ground so you will be amazed at how deep you will be chopping out nails. HINT-do your detecting while the log in still on the stump. Unless there were overhead wires through the logging site, rarely will you find metal above what you can reach above you with the Gold Bug.

And tell your customer not to get distracted looking for gold. He has work to get done!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

1 foot is really deep for a metal target being in a log. Is he worried about the logs being spiked by vandals, or is he looking for old bullets or square nails imbedded in them over time? How big are the targets?

Nails mostly.  He doesn't want anything that could ruin the saw.  I was thinking that nails would be in the first 9" anyway.

Thanks!

Walt

6 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Rent the best one you can get hold of--- 

There is no place around to rent one.

Thanks!

Walt

7 minutes ago, klunker said:

I have detected for metal in thousands of logs. The best I have found is a danged old Fisher bold bug. It's light, inexpensive, batteries are cheap and after decades it has never failed. It's depth is better in wood than in the ground so you will be amazed at how deep you will be chopping out nails. HINT-do your detecting while the log in still on the stump. Unless there were overhead wires through the logging site, rarely will you find metal above what you can reach above you with the Gold Bug.

And tell your customer not to get distracted looking for gold. He has work to get done!

Which model, Gold Bug?

Thanks!

Walt

I pulled out pounds of modern nails from trees around a lake in the Olympics when I was a backcountry ranger there.  While bucking some logs, we also found old square nails imbedded deep when the tree grew around them. That lake was a favorite campsite for many generations.  Good idea using a detector for them, it wouldn’t be good breaking a bandsaw blade on your mill! Klunker is right, the nails will be only head high unless the tree was fallen already.

• Like 1

Not suggesting for Logs, But I advertised a Minelab Pin Pointer for sale. A potential buyer rocked up with 2 railway line sleepers in a 7x4ft trailer and asked me to find the nails, because  they did not want to ruin their saw. They had a number of sleepers to check out.

Found a couple of nails with the PP and the deal was done. In their opinion was cheaper than a detector. ( to me a lot slower and easier to miss a nail than using a detector)

A friend has a small lumber mill that asked me about detectors for the same reason, and both the 800 and the Tracker IV worked fine. He was able to locate about a dozen nails and a few bullets to save his blade.

I think almost any name brand detector will do as long as the sense is up to at least 3/4 of the way.