21lb Alaska Nugget Up For Auction!

mn90403

The Alaska nugget is no longer up for sale....I bought it

• Haha 2

I knew the guy that found the nugget, Barry Clay. He was bulldozing one day, saw the nugget roll out of the material ahead of the blade. Got out, grabbed the gold, put it in the bulldozer toolbox, finished out the days work. :smile:

Barry ran a metal detector pay to mine operation on his ground not long after the nugget was found, but nothing remotely close to that was ever found by the detector guys, and he shut it down pretty quick.

Personally I’d call it a nugget, not a specimen, but there is no definition on that, just a matter of opinion. If it’s over 90% gold as quoted, there is not 5 lbs of quartz in it. Still, seems overpriced to me.

C7204419-B1B3-4489-B48A-F5922B630DA2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I knew the guy that found the nugget, Barry Clay. He was bulldozing one day, saw the nugget roll out of the material ahead of the blade. Got out, grabbed the gold, put it in the bulldozer toolbox, finished out the days work. :smile:

Barry ran a metal detector pay to mine operation on his ground not long after the nugget was found, but nothing remotely close to that was ever found by the detector guys, and he shut it down pretty quick.

Personally I’d call it a nugget, not a specimen, but there is no definition on that, just a matter of opinion. If it’s over 90% gold as quoted, there is not 5 lbs of quartz in it. Still, seems overpriced to me.

C7204419-B1B3-4489-B48A-F5922B630DA2.jpeg

Steve .... $ 1,000,000 for 19 pounds of gold from a 21-pound "Maxi nugget" is a reasonably good price in my opinion .... I'll say life insurance for that ...
  ... in the end, the price of gold will go up again ... it's always like that ...

As a bonus, we also receive one of the largest specimens of natural gold found in the US zone ...

Although I can call this year my golden year ..... such a Maxi nugget is a dream of almost every gold prospector ...:smile:

• Like 2

What I find interesting is the size of it (almost 7" x 6"), which is like a grapefruit, but yet it weighs 21 pounds.  the 1" cube in the lower right of pic is actual.  That's just an incredible piece and it would not surprise me of a $1,000,000.00 price.

😱

The Alaska Centennial Nugget, which measures 6.75ins by 5.75ins and weighs 21lbs, was discovered by gold miner Barry Clay on Swift Creek in Alaska in 1998. It has been recorded as the largest gold nugget to be found in Alaska, and only smaller than the 'Boot of Cortez' nugget found in Mexico.

The Alaska Centennial Nugget, which measures 6.75ins by 5.75ins and weighs 21lbs, was discovered by gold miner Barry Clay on Swift Creek in Alaska in 1998. It has been recorded as the largest gold nugget to be found in Alaska, and only smaller than the 'Boot of Cortez' nugget found in Mexico.
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, MSC said:

I think Gerry would try to fit it in his mouth, be a great picture. 

Gerry should buy the Boot of Cortez Nugget- 389.4 Oz Troy   (26 lbs!). Then he could really put his foot in his mouth!🤑

https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/bootofcortez.html

DEFF9C10-D76B-488B-B8BF-784364C56982.thumb.jpeg.98dc863ad2b7cddcbb555b95b913cfeb.jpeg

• Haha 2

Dang , somebody fines that large a nugget - that makes the price of gold go down - SUPPLY & demand ;(

Reminds me of a saying I was told - by a friend as we went to auctions ,

Prospective buyer offers $950,000 , instead of the 1 million asking price and the seller turns down the offer ,

" That's when two fools met " 😉

But then a million dollars ain't what it use to be ;(

• 3 weeks later...

The auction ended. Can anyone see the final price that it brought? Looks like you might have to be registered with them to see it now.