The Wm-08 Or Bluetooth... Can You Tell The Difference?

15 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I agree with all above!! Direct to the detector, or WM08! Not a big fan of the Nox headphones!

I have my Nox with the Nox accessory wire($20) run up underneath to the bottom of the cuff with tiewraps! Than I can use whatever plug in headphones I wish to use without the cord in my way! (see pic)

If not using wired (to detector), I use my WM08 in a waterproof phone arm band on my detecting arm! This gives it direct sight to the detector, with no dropouts! No hassles like the wireless headphones give me!!🍀👍👍

20211116_192023.jpg

Joe what are you doing with the garden hose coupling here?  internal flush lol counter weight? very interesting set up you got here. 

strick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, strick said:

Joe what are you doing with the garden hose coupling here?  internal flush lol counter weight? very interesting set up you got here. 

strick

😂 Yeah Strick,

That's for my removable counter weight! The removable part weighs 16 oz. And the insert weights another 4 oz., And are brass plumbing parts!

It's made out of an old brass hose nozzle that i found detecting! Than I added a solid steel knob on the end, and a hardened steel spike in the other end! So I have a chipping tool for embedded items! And lethal/non-leathal defensive weapons, if the need arises! And the whole thing is wrapped in paracord, with a loop that I can hang on my beach scoop, so my detector is hands free, and doesn't fall in the sand, when I stop for a drink, picture taking, etc!! 👍👍

20211117_113204.jpg

20211109_150508.jpg

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

I like it Joe I think I might try something like that for the big coil. Needs counter weight..No one‘s gonna mess with you are on the beach that’s for sure and it’s nice having a little insurance while you’re out there. I carry a fairly large pocket knife in my trousers but it would be hard to get it out in time....with your set up you can jab the guy in the teeth with a blunt end rather swiftly 😁

strick

• Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

Short answer: Yes I can tell the difference often.

Long answer below.

I have hearing loss, 30 years of screaming diesel engines, pumps and sirens. The minelab earphones allowed so much ambient sound in, mainly surf crashing, that I discovered a LL BT aftermarket headphone with good insulation, comfortable ear cups and active noise cancelling. I didn’t think the noise canceling feature was worth using but now won’t wear them without it on.

I started with the headphones BT to the 800. If a varied my swing rate, I definitely could tell it lagged. But the aftermarket phones started to be difficult to commect and sometimes dropped out and I had to re pair them. Since I did not want to go back to the Minelab phones, I plugged the aftermarket headphones in. After fighting with the audio cable and trying every location, I used the wm08 clipped to my shirt. It would still get pulled and the audio cable would disconnect itself.

Then I read about Dan (MN)s mod and that was the ticket. Once in a while if I move my head to far my block head blocks the signal for a second, but that is rare. The WM08 is plenty fast for me. 

• Like 2

Hmm 🤔 I supposedly have extraordinary hearing (despite many years of playing in very loud bands), and I have no problem whatsoever with generic Aptx-LL headphones. Unless the target is false or aluminum and I didn't use proper pinpointing techniques, I generally find the target in the center of the hole. Many times I find a surface target (2-4"), and am able to place my pinpointer directly on it first try. Could be eye/hand coordination with my coil center.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Hmm 🤔 I supposedly have extraordinary hearing (despite many years of playing in very loud bands), and I have no problem whatsoever with generic Aptx-LL headphones. Unless the target is false or aluminum and I didn't use proper pinpointing techniques, I generally find the target in the center of the hole. Many times I find a surface target (2-4"), and am able to place my pinpointer directly on it first try. Could be eye/hand coordination with my coil center.

Ditto that, same here. I'm not having a problem with APTX-LL Bluetooth phones, in fact I'm quite comfortable with them (LL earbuds in the during the warmer months and the ML80s in the cold months). But after reading up on the WM08 and older threads about folks using wired phones, specially when hunting deep or small targets, I got to wondering if going wired might be a better option.

• Like 1

You can experience the latency if you plug one earphone into Nox and other into the WM08. Personally, I did not experience any problems with the WM08, except that I do prefer how direct connection sounds, as in, quality wise it is cleaner, more analog kinda sounding to me. I detect wired for this reason. The other reason is, when wired, I do have to remove headphones when digging out the target, which allows my head and ears to rest a little and appreciate what is happening around me. Just overall experience is less tiring and more enjoyable this way I find. The other thing, I'm not sure what effect wireless transmission has on the machine itself - if you ever try to bring coil near wireless router, you'll see what I mean...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1