Two More Gold For The Excalibur

6 hours ago, strick said:

The grass is always greener...I’d take advantage of the low tides and current spot... that is unless you think you have hunted out. 

Strick

Out in the bay the spots are rarely hunted out, things are always moving you just have to find the open window ....now up the rivers where there is little movement they can get fairly bleak. The other spot I was thinking about was my 2019 Honey Hole. It got sanded in March 2020, Bad....Got a lot of gold out of there.. When we have great lowtides I like to get in there and poke around.. Dreaming It might open back up someday.

27 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Nice score again Joe. Tough call on where to go next. I would just pick one that day and forget about the other one. (or sneak out the next day to it 😄)

I think that's what I'm going to do is stick with my regular spot for tides will be huntible all day. Normally there is only about a 3 to 4 hour window.

Plus I'm going out for the first time with my winter drysuits I just rebuilt. New zipper, neck seal and 5mm neoprene socks. Put a size 14 sock on it so I can get two pairs of regular (Redhead hunting) soxs under in hope of keeping my feet warm once the water drops below 40F. Right now water is 54F. 

Tides here are so different then NE.. There they can drop 8 feet, here they may go 1 or 2 feet and we still have get in the water to get out where they use to swim. the good is here..it keeps others out for not many go out during the fall/winter when tides are extreeme.

• Like 3

Here is how I do it as this happens often. Go to the sanded in 2019 spot 1st , about 1-2 hours AFTER high tide. You already know what the other spot is like from the hunt before. This will give you an idea if the sand has moved out , etc. Then hunt it through the low tide. If it's not looking good , go back to the prior successful spot because you still have time. Since our So.Cal beaches are somewhat close together , I can jam in 3-4 beaches this way. This method really sets me up for the following day's hunt as I prefer to stay on 1 beach all day.

• Like 3

King,

You are giving away the 2 hour AFTER secret!  haha

I try to make it to some of my better beaches first on that schedule but sometimes it is not possible and someone beats me to it and I just go to another beach or work 'behind' the other detectorist.  I don't like to jump in front of someone I don't know.

Mitchel

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Here is how I do it as this happens often. Go to the sanded in 2019 spot 1st , about 1-2 hours AFTER high tide. You already know what the other spot is like from the hunt before. This will give you an idea if the sand has moved out , etc. Then hunt it through the low tide. If it's not looking good , go back to the prior successful spot because you still have time. Since our So.Cal beaches are somewhat close together , I can jam in 3-4 beaches this way. This method really sets me up for the following day's hunt as I prefer to stay on 1 beach all day.

Dam KOB, now you got me wanting to do a hit and run. 🤨 I'm not sure if I have enough Mojo ..see how I feel in the AM. I'm one hour from the 2019 beach, then back to the other is 40 minutes. I do like the idea..😍

Joe,

Cold and colder makes you HOT!

Your passion for the hunt is incredible.  The rings keep popping.

Mitchel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I'm one hour from the 2019 beach

Hopefully you won't have to move from that beach!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I'm not sure if I have enough Mojo ..see how I feel in the AM.

Honestly this time of year you really need to focus on SAFETY, I believe that you should do the same spot.

It has been productive for you today and the 2019 spot will be waiting for you next week.

Stay safe as we want to keep seeing your work and items.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

Went out this AM for 4 hours, to the good (same) spot..........   Bleak is the word. Got 1 silver dime and 3 silver Washington's. 

Todays hunt I could see about 8 or more inches of sand had covered the area where I had my marker. Plus I noticed the pilings were covered with sand in that area, but further down the beach one was exposed that I never knew was there. And I'm only going by feel since all is underwater.

The best of the trip was, the drysuit did it's job.. Going to the 2019 beach Saturday, tides not great but I should be able to notice any major changes once I get the water. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Went out this AM for 4 hours, to the good (same) spot..........   Bleak is the word. Got 1 silver dime and 3 silver Washington's. 

Todays hunt I could see about 8 or more inches of sand had covered the area where I had my marker. Plus I noticed the pilings were covered with sand in that area, but further down the beach one was exposed that I never knew was there. And I'm only going by feel since all is underwater.

The best of the trip was, the drysuit did it's job.. Going to the 2019 beach Saturday, tides not great but I should be able to notice any major changes once I get the water. 

At least you tried it.  Glad the suit worked out. Silver is not as good as gold, but it's not bad either 😄Beaches for me have been very hard this year, they just don't want to give up any sand. Maybe it would be good for scuba, since I think all of the  sand that the whole ocean has, is deposited on the beach 🙄

• Like 1

14 grams of gold rings is totally major plunder , but just a normal day on your technique.  You got your system down Joe ! 👌 Asking us what to do is probably not nearly as good as just going with your first decision.   Keeping a "fresh read" going on your beaches is an important part of this game.  Gearing fully up on a double header day would be an issue with me too.  But 54 is a long way from 40 no matter what yer a wearin' too...🥶

(I would have said "flip a coin"! ,,,,a gold one would make it an official final answer.)

Your "bad" days sound pretty good to me !🤔  

Livin' the dream.....

• Like 1