Today's The Day

Momokahn

Here is the live launch video from Facebook, I only bothered with a lower resolution copy but it'll do.

The price seems good in the USA, I don't know how that will translate here but I'll soon see.  The Apex is going to cop a beating because of this I suspect as in NZ this SMF is likely to be cheaper than the Apex, seeing the Apex is priced virtually at Nox 600 pricing here, not sure how well it'll affect the Nox sales, time will tell based on performance.  I'm confident it's better quality as even the Simplex entry level when using the Carbon shaft is far better quality than the Nox.

It's fantastic this is helping push the pricing of high end detectors down, for far too long detectors were over priced for what they are, these modern day Multi freakers are bringing manufacturers down to earth on their pricing.  Now Nokta, get to work on a lightweight PI prospecting machine, I think you'll surprise yourself how big the market is for such a machine at a good price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Ferrocheck iron probability graphic (reminds me of fe:co in graphic form)

Glad to see Nokta doing this.  XP Orx has the same graphic feature.  I suspect Deus II will be bringing that feature forward as well.  Minelab would be smart to see what Nokta and XP are doing in this arena to utilize graphics to supplement simple Target ID numbers going forward without overcomplicating the interface or having to commit 4-digit TIDs to memory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ☠ Cipher said:

If it performs comparably to an equinox 800 it’s going to be a force. $635. Even less than I expected. What will a used one go for? 500? Maybe less over time. 

I agree, getting what amounts to an Equinox 800 in terms of performance, but maybe an AT Pro/Max in terms of build quality for $635 street? SWEET!

But, having comparable performance to MIQ is a tall order, so we'll see how that goes. As for what a used Legend will go for, if it's as good as we hope, you won't find that many used models and if you do, they'll be for close to retail...kind of like how it was with the Equinox a few years ago.

I have a feeling that within a year, we're gonna see what Minelab has up their sleeve, though.

Nothing really new in terms of mechanical ergonomics , the Legend will probably weight around 1,3kg 1,4kg , which is similar to the Equinox , and the Deus2 is much lighter: 800g ( CB in the pocket ) ..

However its low price 635$ is for sure interesting ...  Looking forward for the field tests ...

The clock is a nice feature I wish I had honestly and the ferrocheck graph seems useful. Not sure worth upgrading if you already have the “competitor” unless it has game changer performance somehow. They sure took some not so subtle jabs at them!  If you didn’t have “competitor” or upgrading from a Simplex it might be compelling.

I suspect a compatible version of the Pulse pointer will come out and 6x9 and 13” coils to up the sales numbers later. 

Also wondering if they just plan to drop a lot of their other models and just make it up on volume with the Simplex and the Legend and the kid devices. 

Honest question: why is having a clock on a metal detector so important to many of you? I get the "odometer" and/or timer, knowing how long you've been operating your machine for a given hunt or its entire lifetime. But a clock? You can't check your phone or watch?

Is it that your phone is off to avoid interfering with your SMF detector and you don't normally wear a watch?

Just asking for a friend...😁

12 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Honest question: why is having a clock on a metal detector so important to many of you? I get the "odometer" and/or timer, knowing how long you've been operating your machine for a given hunt or its entire lifetime. But a clock? You can't check your phone or watch?

Is it that your phone is off to avoid interfering with your SMF detector and you don't normally wear a watch?

I haven’t worn a wrist watch since I started carrying a phone in my pocket other than a Garmin for training and events when I used to compete. I don’t own one otherwise.

During detecting I carry my phone and have no noticeable issues but I wear gloves. I won’t reach in my pocket and handle my iPhone with muddy gloves. It is a hassle just to check the time.   

There are these things called girlfriends and wives that sometimes get upset when you lose track of time and are gone longer than you said you would. I mitigate that by literally setting alarms on my phone to give me a heads up.  We have commitments or I tell her I’ll be back by X.  I get it out occasionally to send her and a buddy pictures of cool stuff I find, especially when it is jewelry. I might remember to check the time before I shove back in pocket and put gloves back on.

Personally I could care less how many hours I have hunted or hours on my machine. It is not a mechanical device that needs maintenance.  A clock on the screen that I am starring at anyway is handy and a simple delighter feature to add.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

When I am detector gold prospecting and sometimes at fresh and saltwater beaches, I use a plastic scoop or my bare hand to pass dirt/sand and target over the coil when I have isolated the target. If I’m wearing a watch it will easily create a response from the detector like the high gain Equinox or a pulse induction detector. My watch is stuffed in a pocket or my backpack and my phone is turned off in my backpack or pocket.

So, having a clock is great. So is the time used since I hunt daily during most of the year. 

I like what I have seen so far. I owned a Simplex twice just to get used to it in case Nokta Makro was able to produce an SMF. I am not a skeptic, but I have not been impressed with the previous Nokta Makro detectors I have used in moderate to high iron mineralization. Just like every other SMF and single frequency detector, they overloaded easily on hot ground and got very little depth with inconsistent target IDs. If N/M have been able to solve this single frequency and SMF weakness they will get my business. So far in my time detecting, only a PI,  and the Multi IQ SMF tech in the Equinox and the Vanquish have been able to ignore enough moderate to high iron mineralization to detect deep targets and in the case of the Equinox and Vanquish, to detect them with fairly accurate target IDs where I often detect.

• Like 5

Shame the video cuts out during the headphone discussion. All I saw was "Bluetooth Low" before it froze, and then she went on to talk about wired headphones. Hoping that "Low" was followed by "Latency". 🙃