Average Ratio Of Trash To Gold ?

Yes, trash is  part of the job ! Won't know whats their unless you dig it....and in the last few weeks I can surely confidently say the disc mode is NOT a sure thing...I generally run disc until I find my first and second piece...than I dig all. And than hit it with different coils for shallow and deep targets.  Found three nuggets  today and a 1833 Providence Rhode Island hard times token !  Good day indeed.... :) You gotta luv it.

totally random. Some places low - maybe 1 or 2 trash to one of gold. Other places 40 or 50 to one. It just depends. The places with low trash ratio tend to have very few targets overall and you can swing for a while with no targets at all.

• Like 2

This was my day here in beautiful Sonora, the weather was perfect, so nice in fact I decided to Leave the gold in the ground for tomorrow.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

I wonder if this post will dry up quite quickly when the discrimination coil come out for the 7000 and everyone is just digging up nuggets. then there would be no ratio. Not sure if I could walk away form a positive target signal in the ground. so I recon I will just still dig everything. My ratio is approx  25-1

ozgold

• Like 1

I wonder if this post will dry up quite quickly when the discrimination coil come out for the 7000 and everyone is just digging up nuggets.

I highly doubt it will discriminate out lead and other non-ferrous targets, leaving us still digging bullets, foil chunks and perhaps some other non-ferrous.

• Like 1

I have never upgraded but if Minelab does come out with a machine that does disc iron out , I am upgrading for the pure and simple reason of life's to short to dig trash. Lead on the other hand has its purposes :biggrin: 

Reading the replies to this thread is actually somewhat inspiring to me as a new metal detector owner. I have been to several sites all over the state testing and learning. I have yet to find my first piece of gold so my trash to gold ratio is 100% to 0%. In most of the areas I have been with my detector I have found many small pieces of lead and small chunks of brass. I thought I must not be getting to those places most folks don't or won't get to. Too easy access makes for an easy target range because most people don't hike way off the road just to throw some lead around. Now that I see most of you guys are digging lots of lead it makes me feel as if I'm on the right track. I have limited my ferrous digging, by luck or otherwise I'm not really sure.

My coolest find so far was an aluminum leg band from a bird study of some kind. There is a phone number on the band but it was a disconnected number. The date on the band was 2007. Again not gold but kinda cool to find. 

Next week I will be working in the northern part of the state and hope to get a few hours detecting . I have a couple spots picked out to look at. Might get to the Rye Patch also.

Good luck out there everyone!

2016-03-03 21.24.55.jpg

Nevada1616,

This was one of my reasons to post on the ratios....I wanted people like yourself starting out in nuggethunting not to give up as we are all digging those pesky bits of iron and aluminum and lead. Its part of the job, cant have one without the other. The main thing is put yourself in a known gold region and hunt where the ole timers dug gold. Their methods were crude but effective for their time as their was a lot more gold in that ground. They did not get it all....most of my gold finds are on the very spot they walked on, I know as I find tons of tiny boot tacks! So as you gain more experience you will eventually find your first nugget....and with every nugget you will add to you knowledge and gain  confidence, it's a catch 22 confidence is gained with success, the more success you have the more confidant you will be, and your ratio of ferrous to gold will decrease. Good Hunting !!