Average Ratio Of Trash To Gold ?

Nevada1616 ,

Neat find! That is a leg band for a homing pigeon. They are used to identify the individual birds for races.

My dad use to race them for many years in southern Idaho. They would take thousands of pigeons out and release them anywhere from 100 to 600 miles away. I recall some of the farther release points were in Winnemucca, Lovelock, etc and they would return to Boise. Looks like #535 didn't make it home!

If I only calculate the first years of nugget hunting my trash would be infinity to none...it got lots better after I found the first rice sized nugget...there is success in your future as long as you keep searching.

If you are in a nugget area and shooting area, sometimes getting behind the mounds or hill which is away from the shooters will lessen the lead/trash to gold ratio.

fred

• Like 2

All of this talk about TRASH.  If there is not any gold there and you keep digging trash then you are in the wrong spot.  How long will you hunt a spot without trash and not find any gold before you go to a new location?

Fred gave me a tip about a club claim that had GOLD on it.  He didn't discuss the trash at the time.  It took me over a day and lots of trash (perhaps 300 pieces) but I got gold.  I'll go back and dig trash or ironstone or whatever if I can get a few pieces of gold.

Argyle has the attitude.  Dig all the trash you have to at your chosen location just so long as the rewards are worth it.  If they are not ... move.  It is about the gold not the trash.

My biggest nugget was found in a field filled with 30 and 50 cal bullets.  I'm glad they are there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the good advice from everyone. I will keep after it and I'm confident at some point it will happen. 

IDdesertman the band is about the size of a pigeon leg. Other than the phone number there is other letters and numbers on it. Is there a way to determine where it came from?

SWOOPS578A0L, then 2005 J.E.M.

• Like 1