Nokta/Makro Legend Specs & First Photos

1 hour ago, highsurf said:

Would anyone like to comment on the possibility of using underwater headphones with the Nokta Legend? I didn't see any mention of a headphone jack in the specs..?

Thanks,

Rick

It's discussed in the video so take the time to watch it.  Basically, it uses the standard Nokta custom watertight headphone connector that is compatible with Nokta branded waterproof phones.  Alternatively, there is an adapter cable available that enables you to connect phones with a standard phone plug but the cable is not submersible at the point where the phone jack is located.  So in that configuration you can submerge the detector but the phone jack end of the adapter cable needs to stay above the water line.

• Like 3

Well this is the first Nokta Makro machine I didn't get to test since the Racer 2, so I'm seeing it with fresh eyes. Several things about the Legend are getting me very excited. Adjustable recovery for one. So I can basically set the recovery speed I want, and with four custom modes, that means I can toggle between two versions of the same mode (hope I interpreted that correctly??). 

Gold mode! I have been telling Dilek for years that they need to rename Gen and just call it Gold Mode, as Gen doesn't really mean anything to anyone apart from people already familiar with Nokta Makro machines. If the basics of the all-metal mode match Gold Kruzer but with a 40 kHz operating frequency, it will be very capable, and maybe even more so in bad ground. I mean a 19 kHz fors gold plus with the small 5" coil can still ping tiny gold, so 40 kHz is only going to do better. 

The headphones look a little bigger than the Green 2.4 Ghz version, which have always been a little small for my head. Hope I'm right on that, but if not, I'll be using the new Quest bluetooth headphones. 

Iron probability FerroCheck thing is a nice addition, and be interesting to see how reliable that is in different soils and different applications. If it can scramble on rusty bottle caps that would be awesome when working picnic areas, or busy beach spots. 

Lots of Audio options, and harmonic sounds does sound interesting. 

Just need a couple of solid elliptical coil options for the guys who will use this for serious small gold hunting. Would love a 7x4" but as a concentric, and a 10x6" DD (somehow stuffed in the slimline GK 10x6" concentric housing). 

On paper, it looks like this can replace the Impact, Gold Kruzer and maybe a couple other machines that I have in rotation, but I'll wait until I get a few weeks of use behind it.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

What kind of house it's built on ? Well I would say the coil ears serve as the foundation , literally. The footings aren't going to roll in an earthquake like the Nox does. And I'm pretty confident I can hold this puppy underwater without murdering it. That's just for starters. The list goes on...

We get that the build is more robust. We took that for a given. We’ve moved on from that from before the word go. I’m referring to its root performance. I’m not going to assume anything in this regard, sight unseen. Nobody being wise would. If it doesn’t perform as well or better than it’s competition the features built on top of it would just be window dressing. I’m not going to assume that It isn’t a solid performer either. I’m sure it’s entirely possible we could be surprised when it reaches real users hands. If a person doesn’t already have SMF machines this might be more enticing and impressive to them. It’s going to take something pretty substantial, more than thick coil ears, to convince someone already holding a proven performer to give it up and buy this. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It is.  I like the elapsed time feature included on the Legend.  Can help with balancing site coverage, pacing, etc.

My only gripe on the Legend is I would have liked a small 10x5 elliptical coil option out of the box vice 6” round.  Not sure why they felt compelled to mimic Equinox in that regard.  Must have been what the surveys were telling them.

If performance is up to snuff, Legend appears to be a better value than the Equinox 600.   For one thing, wireless phones are included, extra SF compared to the 600, and full tone customizations vs. the 600.  Features wise, they leapfrogged Apex.  Though the shaft ergonomics of Apex is probably superior.

The great thing is that the good folks at NM listen and have been generous in coil production and there's some nice after market coils as well.  Knowing NM they probably didn't lock down their SMF coils...hopefully.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

The great thing is that the good folks at NM listen and have been generous in coil production and there's some nice after market coils as well.  Knowing NM they probably didn't lock down their SMF coils...hopefully.

At this price maybe Tom will give it a try to try and spank  those  that have the Nox in his area.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just a note. Anyone worried about basic physical construction issues should know that Simplex was basically a test ground for the design of this detector. This is like Simplex version 2 hardware, with lessons learned there applied here. Like a carbon lower rod. :smile: So it’s not like this is an unvetted first gen hardware set. 

Absolutely.  The Simplex physical platform was the test mule for the SMF.  The SMF has actually been on the drawing board for at least five years, let's see what it delivers!  So far they've generally over delivered on each and every machine I've used from them.  

Nothing wrong with the Simplex physical package, if this thing is around 2.75lbs, the weight's fantastic for a SMF!! I have to tip my hat to the NM team for their passion, execution and listening to the needs of their customers.  It's been an unparalleled experience. 

Let's see what a peak behind the green curtain reveals, fingers crossed.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

We get that the build is more robust. We took that for a given. We’ve moved on from that from before the word go. I’m referring to its root performance. I’m not going to assume anything in this regard, sight unseen. Nobody being wise would. If it doesn’t perform as well or better than it’s competition the features built on top of it would just be window dressing. I’m not going to assume that It isn’t a solid performer either. I’m sure it’s entirely possible we could be surprised when it reaches real users hands. If a person doesn’t already have SMF machines this might be more enticing and impressive to them. It’s going to take something pretty substantial, more than thick coil ears, to convince someone already holding a proven performer to give it up and buy this. 

They don't necessarily have to give the other up , just add on. But I get what you're talking about in window dressing. I will be disappointed if it's not better though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

They don't necessarily have to give the other up , just add on.

This is true. At the price it’s not really that big of a gamble. I’m sure it’s not going to be garbage. The performance may be more varied and nuanced than many of us are thinking as well. There may be things it can edge the equinox out on and there may be things the equinox is better at. Any advantage anywhere in this hobby is hard fought and often expensive. An arsenal full of the best is the only way to ensure you have all the advantages. 

• Like 1