Jump to content

Minelab GPX 6000 17" Elliptical Searchcoil User Feedback?


Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, Aureous said:

....and another one: Test patch 17"

Just a quick inquisitive question re. The Inglewood test patch, I`ve not been over any of those test patches you have down south, (FNQ codger) is the lead targets their weight in lead or have they been volume sized to the weight of gold. ie. a 10oz gold nugget is smaller in volume  compared to a 10oz lead chunk, due to golds SG being near twice leads. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I saw a comparison on the same test patch with a Z, and from memory the Z with the standard coil was as good as, if not better, I think where the 6000 shines is the below .05  gm nuggets and smaller which are not included at the test patch

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Norvic said:

Just a quick inquisitive question re. The Inglewood test patch, I`ve not been over any of those test patches you have down south, (FNQ codger) is the lead targets their weight in lead or have they been volume sized to the weight of gold. ie. a 10oz gold nugget is smaller in volume  compared to a 10oz lead chunk, due to golds SG being near twice leads. 

The Inglewood patch refers to actual lead weight I believe.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Aureous, as I`ve not tried such testing, imagine they`d be great for testing detectors/coils straight metal detecting ability out side by side and give a bit of an idea. Certainly showed the 17' 6K coil is a depth capable coil, so far i`ve only retrieved scraps with it nothing near an oz but they are like hens teeth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Guys,

   Thanks for all the info.  From my findings to date, Southwestern US region, the GPX 6000 is super sensitive, light and easy to use.  However, I'm picking up much more ground noise, more EMI and twice as much hotrocks (mostly ironstones and basalts) vs. the GPZ 7000.  

I love both detectors, I'm very partial to the GPZ due to all the years I have used it and success with it.  The new NF coil really makes it much lighter and a bit more sensitive over the stock 14x13.  

I'm using the GPX 6000 for more prospecting and exploring due to the lightweight and increased sensitivity to small gold.  If I find a patch or rich gully, I can also pack in the GPZ to check out areas with more depth.  

I'm sure we are going to see a lot more smaller gold being found this season due to the GPX 6000.  

Rob

https://www.robsdetectors.com/minelab-gpx-6000-17-searchcoil/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Norvic said:

Thank you Aureous, as I`ve not tried such testing, imagine they`d be great for testing detectors/coils straight metal detecting ability out side by side and give a bit of an idea. Certainly showed the 17' 6K coil is a depth capable coil, so far i`ve only retrieved scraps with it nothing near an oz but they are like hens teeth.

Test patches have been around since the 80's, I remember a friend building one in his backyard when Minelab released their GS15000! Always a great tool to determine depth, sensitivity and comparisons between machines and coils.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

   Thanks for all the info.  From my findings to date, Southwestern US region, the GPX 6000 is super sensitive, light and easy to use.  However, I'm picking up much more ground noise, more EMI and twice as much hotrocks (mostly ironstones and basalts) vs. the GPZ 7000.  

I love both detectors, I'm very partial to the GPZ due to all the years I have used it and success with it.  The new NF coil really makes it much lighter and a bit more sensitive over the stock 14x13.  

I'm using the GPX 6000 for more prospecting and exploring due to the lightweight and increased sensitivity to small gold.  If I find a patch or rich gully, I can also pack in the GPZ to check out areas with more depth.  

I'm sure we are going to see a lot more smaller gold being found this season due to the GPX 6000.  

Rob

I concur, Rob. The NF12 is worth every penny (IMHO) and a great upgrade for the 7k. It is more sensitive and less prone to EMI than the stock coil and runs remarkably stable. The 6k/7k combo is probably the "gold" standard of modern detecting and I use both detectors religiously. The 6k has brought me many hours of fun detecting and many (smaller) nuggets. I am still waiting for a bigger one though (>10g). Here, the 7k wins, but I also had it a lot longer so no fair comparison 🙂 I have no doubt that I will find >10 g nuggets with the 6k/17 as well, I just am busy recovering the really small stuff with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t complain about the GPX17 at all, it’d nearly have to be my favourite coil for the machine. I got this little tiny one the other week in Clermont, it was barely a threshold break, but it was repeatable and down about 3 inches. Would the 7000 have heard it with the NF12 on? No, I don’t think it would have, at least not to my untrained ears.

86CFC243-C761-4CCE-8923-F974E329E6EF.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...