Help Request For Md Rules In UK And America

Sorry Steve if I'm posting on the wrong area of the forum, but I definitely don't know where to properly add the fact...

In Italy we're living a really bad menace to our activity, due to a law modification for archaeological areas.

As for the government announced in november 11th 2021, all the metal detecting activities are to be considered outlaw in the future and to immediately modify the actual law and create a professional's only authorized list.

They mean any kind of professional forced to use It like Airport security, army and public security purpose.

For all of the hobbyst the entire land will be forbidden😑.

So I Need an international or at least an abroad regulation to translate and apply as a template to show a different conduct proposal to the Senate of Republic in Rome during an audition with dealers and archaeologists.

Any link of a complete regulation can be of aid.

Thanks to all of You.

• Sad 3
  • Oh my! 3

23 minutes ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Sorry Steve if I'm posting on the wrong area of the forum, but I definitely don't know where to properly add the fact...

In Italy we're living a really bad menace to our activity, due to a law modification for archaeological areas.

As for the government announced in november 11th 2021, all the metal detecting activities are to be considered outlaw in the future and to immediately modify the actual law and create a professional's only authorized list.

They mean any kind of professional forced to use It like Airport security, army and public security purpose.

For all of the hobbyst the entire land will be forbidden😑.

So I Need an international or at least an abroad regulation to translate and apply as a template to show a different conduct proposal to the Senate of Republic in Rome during an audition with dealers and archaeologists.

Any link of a complete regulation can be of aid.

Thanks to all of You.

In America there are so many different rules on detecting that it probably won't help you. This is the way every country is going. Without getting off topic and violating some forum rules about politics, I will just say it may be better to get people to voice the disapproval to politicians or vote them out. I don't think anyone there cares what America is doing with regard to their metal detecting laws. England may be a better example that may work for you. Also try and get the metal detector manufacturers to join in. After all, they should have a huge interest in metal detector regulations. Good luck with you efforts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This site may help you to understand US metal detecting laws, but it varies from federal to state, and then there's city and county laws 🤪 SchoolofhardNox is quite right about the US:

http://www.mdhtalk.org/home.html

If you're not crazy after you read all the laws, I applaud you. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First here in the United States I would check with the laws and rules in the area in which you want to go to first

Then I would check with others on the forum to see what they have to say about what you were told.

Do the same for the other countries as well.

The laws and rules are made by each location within each country or state of a country.

Good luck on finding a answer to your questions.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 4:47 PM, Skullgolddiver said:

the government announced in november 11th 2021, all the metal detecting activities are to be considered outlaw in the future

That stinks! Does the prohibition include detecting on private land, too?

• Like 1

I would ask some of our British members. The UK seems to have figured out a way to make a law that benefits the government, archaeologists, and detectorists. They all seem pretty happy with it.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, Old Line Paul said:

That stinks! Does the prohibition include detecting on private land, too?

Right now there's only a big mess.

I maked a video on YouTube to explain what will happen and a possible evolution for Us as certified operators but this take time to happen.The government Is not in the mood for a regulation, but for a total stop.

Maybe only a land owner can dig inside his property, but we all know this Is unreal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems to me it is becoming glaringly evident that metal detectorists (the ones who play by the rules anyway) are finding relics that spark whole new conversations on history if they make their finds public, or at least cooperate with historians and archaeologists. It's not so much us cooperating with them, however. Much history that has been discovered already is still in warehouses waiting to be analyzed, what a waste.

It's egomaniacal to think that a few of us "bumblers" would destroy history, you never hear about one of the "masters" breaking a 2000 year old vase or nicking a gold stater with a digging trowel, but I bet it happens all the time.

Simple "Nothing ventured, Nothing Gained". I'm really sad for you. It takes a lot to reverse a law.

I guess all we can do is be thankful for private property.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, Skullgolddiver said:

.... and apply as a template to show a different conduct proposal to the Senate of Republic in Rome during an audition with dealers and archaeologists....

Skullgolddiver, and everyone else who has contributed to this thread so far :

I would suggest to you, that the ONLY reason that such rules/laws exist, that skullgolddiver laments about , is PRECISELY BECAUSE OF THE VERY KNEE-JERK REACTION HE PROPOSES !  (that's been done in the past, and that he proposes to do more of).

Yup, at the mere HINT of a "no" or a law or a rule (the mere question asking "is there any rules" or "can I metal detect") has the following reaction :  Sure as sh#t, people go asking "Can I ?" type questions to various desk jockeys.  After all, *who better to ask, than the bureaucrats in-control of said-location ?  Right ? After all, ya can't be too safe, eh ?   After all, you "don't want to get arrested", eh ?  After all, we need solidarity to fight for rights, eh ?

So whenever this has been done in the past, the pressing question gets bandied from desk to desk, until it lands on the desk of a purist archie.   And thus PRESTO : A "no" is passed back down.  Or a new rule or law is written to "address this pressing issue"   🤔   Same for attempts to "make compedium lists" (that detail the laws/rules of every geographic location)  :  Guess how people will go about making such lists.   SEE ? 

And then we all sit around lamenting our lack of freedoms.  And saying "durned them archies".  BUT NO ONE IS EVER ASKING WHAT PUT IT ON THAT ARCHIE'S DESK IN THE FIRST PLACE !  And the answer is :  It's us MD'rs !   By going and swatting hornet's nests !   🤬  Like by the very actions proposed here !

And then if anyone else (oldtimer md'rs) ever says :  "Nonsense, it's a non-issue. I detect there all the time.  No one cares".  Guess what someone else will do to "clarify this matter" ?  Yup, you guessed it :  Go ask a bored pencil pusher .  🥵   Don't you get it ?  Don't you all see the self-fulfilling vicious circle ??  

Just like skullgolddiver's thread here, stating his planned intended purpose :  To Go talk to archies in the senate.

Why is it, that whenever the slightest hint of a "no" surfaces (a single stink-eye, a single fluke scram, a single question on a forum) that IMMEDIATELY we md'rs seem to think that the MORE ATTENTION (petitions and so forth) is a good thing ?  Why ?  Why can't the LESS attention be the better thing ??  

I am of the opinion that the LESS that archies and senates think about us, the better.  Not the MORE they think about us.  Shheesshhh, It's as if we can be our own worst enemies   🙄

• Like 1