Deus 2 Vs Nokta/Makro Legend

We are living in interesting times. While two or three companies have made press releases of their new flagship model detectors, they are in fact playing catch-up to another company's three year old mid-line detector and there have been no direct impartial real world tests comparing their performances in real scenarios yet. The real race has not even started yet as all of the players are not at the gate. Post your bets, folks! 😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

We are living in interesting times. While two or three companies have made press releases of their new flagship model detectors, they are in fact playing catch-up to another company's three year old mid-line detector and there have been no direct impartial real world tests comparing their performances in real scenarios yet. The real race has not even started yet as all of the players are not at the gate. Post your bets, folks! 😎

Well said. I don’t think it was a good look to be taking so many pot shots at a company they’ve borrowed (to put it mildly) so heavily from either. A thank you would’ve sufficed lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On 11/20/2021 at 9:43 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

They also showed a guy tossing his Apex in the sand. That kind of disdain for competition does not appeal to me personally. I prefer companies just talk about their product, not takes swings at the other guy. They want to blow off Multi-IQ as just marketing fluff, when in fact it’s a real breakthrough. Multi is nothing special, it’s how you implement it. Whites DFX and Apex, for instance, offer what I call weak multi, that really only benefits you on the beach. Nothing special outside that. Multi-IQ however offers true discernible performance benefits above and beyond single frequency, which is why the single frequency modes go almost unused by most Equinox owners. So while NM wants to imply all multi is the same, the truth is exactly the opposite. The secret is in how you process the frequencies, not how many you have.

I am in total agreement with you Steve here.  I have already commented on this on another forum.  Besides, naming the tech the way Minelab did could be helpful with communications within the company.  I sure don’t know all things Minelab are working on.  

It may end up a bit of a mistake by Nokta, they're starting a war with a giant and who knows how far along the Nox 1000 is, and what improvements it will include.   They may even have the CTX 3030 replacement in the near future pipeline, or even better a combination CTX/Nox replacement on the cards.  Pointing out Minelabs build quality and constantly making a big deal about it by Nokta is also a short sighted thing, sure it may hurt the 3 year old detector a bit, most who wanted one have one now anyway.  Now Minelab know what to improve to fight back and throw it in Nokta's face.  Love this stuff, it greatly benefits us, the end users!  Bring on Nokta's cheekiness and attitude, it's going to backfire on them.

It's a bit like New Zealand picking a fight with USA.......

• Like 5

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Pointing out Minelabs build quality and constantly making a big deal about it by Nokta is also a short sighted thing, sure it may hurt the 3 year old detector a bit, most who wanted one have one now anyway.  Now Minelab know what to improve to fight back and throw it in Nokta's face.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Are you saying that because N/M took shots at Minelab, Minelab is now motivated even more to produce a better product?

And are you saying that N/M's insults to Minelab brought to their attention problems with the Equinox that Minelab wasn't aware of?

I presume we'd agree on the fact that Minelab's motivation to product the CTX 3030 replacement or the Equinox 1000 isn't/wasn't affected by N/M marketing insults. I think we'd also agree that Minelanb is aware of the Equinox flaws, even without N/M pointing them out.

However, I think N/M taking shots at Minelab is a net positive. Sure, it might annoy some people, but I think one of N/M's biggest hurdles right now is name recognition and brand awareness. By the latter, I'm preferring to people not understanding where N/M's products fit in against the competition. Also, don't forget that Minelab has taken its fair share of shots at Garrett, although perhaps in a more subtle manner.

I think it's fair to say amost people currently considering a mid-level and/or SMF metal detector right now are aware of the Equinox and Apex. So whent hey hear about the Legend, they're probably asking themselves, "ok, but why should I buy a Legend when the Apex and Equinox have already been out a while?" 

I believe these shots at Minelab address that question. Not only do they get more attention ("no news like bad news"), but they succintly tell a prospective customer why they should get the Legend instead of the Equinox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well you missed the point entirely, the CTX which came out before the Nox has the same weak coil ears, the Vanquish that came out after the Equinox has the same weak coil ears.  They had no motivation to fix the issue.  Now with the Competition attacking the build quality and using it as a marketing tactic they're VERY likely to fix it on the Equinox 1000, you can bet the 1000 will have marketing going on about enhanced coil ear strength.

It benefits us as all our kicking and screaming didn't get Minelab to fix their coil ears, maybe Nokta's gloating will do the job better.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Well you missed the point entirely, the CTX which came out before the Nox has the same weak coil ears, the Vanquish that came out after the Equinox has the same weak coil ears.  They had no motivation to fix the issue.  Now with the Competition attacking the build quality and using it as a marketing tactic they're VERY likely to fix it on the Equinox 1000, you can bet the 1000 will have marketing going on about enhanced coil ear strength.

It benefits us as all our kicking and screaming didn't get Minelab to fix their coil ears, maybe Nokta's gloating will do the job better.

I think Minelab's motivation to fix any issues would come from competition from another company releasing a superior product (or at least a product that addresses the flaws in Minelab's products) rather than a competitor hurling insults.

I could be wrong, but that's my thought process, at least.

12 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I think Minelab's motivation to fix any issues would come from competition from another company releasing a superior product (or at least a product that addresses the flaws in Minelab's products) rather than a competitor hurling insults.

I could be wrong, but that's my thought process, at least.

But Nokta's build quality is superior?

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

But Nokta's build quality is superior?

With respect to waterproofing and coil ears, I think so. Right?

I'm not saying the Legend is better than the Equinox. I'm not even saying the Legend will be more waterproof and have more durability than the Equinox (athough I imagine it will).

But the Equinox is notorious for broken coil ears and leaking seals. Therefore, one of N/M's approach to promoting the Legend is to claim that their machines are better than the Equinox in those and other respects.

So it's my belief that Minelab's motivation to bury N/M isn't coming from how N/M is calling Minelab out (using insults). Rather it's from the fact that Minelab may lose sales to N/M because of the percetion (and possible fact) that the Legend is superior to the Equinox in certain regards.

EDIT: My point is that Minelab is motivated to take on N/M not b/c they've been insulted by N/M, but because N/M might pose an economic threat to Minelab's sales.

• Like 1

The Equinox has weaknesses but on the other hand ML has an excellent after service ( at least in France ). I had 2 failures with my Equinox , first a ML80 headphones button broken , and a few months later a CB side button broken . Both the ML80 and the CB have been replaced with brand new ones by ML without any discussion ...

• Like 1