Deus 2 Vs Nokta/Makro Legend

It looks like Steve has solved the mystery for the marketing departments of the D II and the Legend.  The D II is the upgrade for the Nox 800 (ML can read this as the Nox 1000 if they choose to compete) and the Legend is for those of us who want a Nox 800 to replace our single frequency detector (pick a brand) but at more reasonable price and with slightly enhanced performance and build integrity to the Nox.  

Time for everyone to kiss and make up and start thinking about how great it is going to be to use our new machine whatevver it may be.

p.s. - It will be interesting to new Legend owners to see what changes or upgrades that NM will make to the new Legend using the upgradeable features of the new machine to make it even more competitive with ML.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 7:53 AM, stripes17 said:

It looks like Steve has solved the mystery for the marketing departments of the D II and the Legend.  The D II is the upgrade for the Nox 800 (ML can read this as the Nox 1000 if they choose to compete) and the Legend is for those of us who want a Nox 800 to replace our single frequency detector (pick a brand) but at more reasonable price and with slightly enhanced performance and build integrity to the Nox.  

Time for everyone to kiss and make up and start thinking about how great it is going to be to use our new machine whatevver it may be.

p.s. - It will be interesting to new Legend owners to see what changes or upgrades that NM will make to the new Legend using the upgradeable features of the new machine to make it even more competitive with ML.

Lots of opinions in your post including Steve “solved the mystery for marketing ………”. What mystery? A $1500+ SMF detector is probably better than a $949 SMF and definitely better than $649 SMF or a $635 SMF. All I can say is for that price difference the Deus ll had better be over twice as good as a Nox 600 or the new Legend in every detecting scenario that the Nox currently does very well in.

Looking at specs and features means absolutely nothing if the actual SMF tech is not equal to or surpasses the market leader in the selectable single frequency/SMF “do it all” category which clearly is currently the Equinox 800.

Right now I would take my Equinox 800 anywhere on this planet on dry land and shallow saltwater surf and it would do very well. There is one scenario where I would prefer to have the original Deus which is shallower nonferrous targets in thick iron trash. There is one scenario where I would prefer a Simplex, Kruzer or Anfibio over the Equinox which is submerged freshwater. I have owned and used these detectors extensively. 

As others have noted, until some very experienced, neutral reviewers are able to do actual side by side testing on wild targets in extreme and varied ground conditions, any pre-release opinions about actual real world, tough conditions performance compared to the Equinox 800 are just daydreaming. 

• Like 3

XP haven't come out comparing theirs to anyone or saying it's better so who knows, it might well be, Nokta have absolutely come out saying theirs is better.  So if we believe them it is better and we all need to replace our Nox, if what they've said is untrue their reputation is on the line.... I've said it before, very bold of them.  In my opinion a detector isn't better if its built better, it has to perform better to be better.   If I'm out digging hundreds of holes I want to use the detector the gives me the most chance of success, not the one that is less likely to drown when I'm detecting on land 🙂  I'm also not that excited about a $1 LED as a light on my detector or a detector that vibrates, nice novelties to have but not necessary for me.  If that's all they mean by more for less I don't want more, I want more performance.

If I had to choose now which I think would be best my money would be on XP, not just because it's more expensive, it should be more expensive with all the wireless gear and waterproofing but more because I have more faith in them to produce a better product.

I just can't wait until they're both released so all the speculation ends and we see some actual results.  It may turn out the Nox still has the best multi frequency implementation, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is the case.   I'm starting to veer off considering a Nokta and thinking the XP might be the better choice for me but I'll wait and see once people start using them both, I might not need either, I don't really want another detector but if one is better in a worthwhile for me way, then I will get one.

I'm happy enough to put up with Minelabs somewhat lacking quality for their performance, if the threat of competition even if it is not really competition is enough to encourage them to build better quality models in the future it's a win, so thanks in advance Nokta and XP.

• Like 7

As usual Simon, you have said the most important thing which ultimately for me also is detector performance especially in tougher ground conditions.

I am happy with my Deus 1 setup for what I use it for.

I am extremely happy with the Equinox. I haven't had any of the leaking or coil ear issues that others have had.

I really like Nokta Makro detectors. I will be buying the Legend when it is available.  I need a budget friendly, proven waterproof, selectable single frequency/SMF detector that can also be a gold prospecting/gold jewelry alternative to the Equinox, especially in freshwater. It doesn't have to be as good as the Equinox to make me happy. If it really does perform as well or better than an Equinox 600/800....great.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I really like Nokta Makro detectors. I will be buying the Legend when it is available.  I need a budget friendly, proven waterproof, selectable single frequency/SMF detector that can also be a gold prospecting/gold jewelry alternative to the Equinox,

Will be looking forward to your thoughts on those two detectors!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

As others have noted, until some very experienced, neutral reviewers are able to do actual side by side testing on wild targets in extreme and varied ground conditions, any pre-release opinions about actual real world, tough conditions performance compared to the Equinox 800 are just daydreaming.

I think we've finally found Ponce de Leon's 'Fountain of Youth'.  Or maybe it's just an example of relativistic time dilation.  When a new detector is announced, time slows down to a crawl.  We're able to create hundreds of posts speculating, hoping, even praying for the next breakthru.  (I'm not singling anyone out here and, living in a glass house, I'm certainly not throwing any stones.)  :biggrin:  There is a hint in another recent thread here that gives me hope I'll soon(?) be seeing what I'm hoping for -- better separation/unmasking without sacrificing dTID or sensitivity/depth.  Well, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part....

I don't know when was the last time that two new, competing, state-of-the-art detectors were being released simultaneously (let's hope that's what is going to happen, and soon).  Double the anticipation, speculation, hope,....  Come on, N/M; come on XP!  Enough teasing, at least let your field testers loosen their lips.

• Like 3

The Deus 2 has some nice features and looks incredible but for me I'm going for the Legend. I just hope it's as hot on gold as the Nox, goes as deep as the Nox and has a great coil selection.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

As usual Simon, you have said the most important thing which ultimately for me also is detector performance especially in tougher ground conditions.

I am happy with my Deus 1 setup for what I use it for.

I am extremely happy with the Equinox. I haven't had any of the leaking or coil ear issues that others have had.

I really like Nokta Makro detectors. I will be buying the Legend when it is available.  I need a budget friendly, proven waterproof, selectable single frequency/SMF detector that can also be a gold prospecting/gold jewelry alternative to the Equinox, especially in freshwater. It doesn't have to be as good as the Equinox to make me happy. If it really does perform as well or better than an Equinox 600/800....great.

Jeff, after reading your response to my post, I would have bet and lost the bet that you were a M/L fanboy.  Then when I read your response to Simon, I saw a different Jeff.  Although Deus is totally different as a detector to me, everyone I know who owns one has nothing but good things to say about the machine. NM also seems to have developed a loyal owner base and is why I put in a pre-order with no money down on the Legend.  Your reasoning for buying a Legend is precisely the reason I put in the pre-order.  I guess it always takes a little time and understanding to really get to know what a person is like.

• Like 2

I'm not seeing all that many brand bias people on this forum, a majority try and use various detectors and settle on the ones they like.  Even the most dedicated Minelab users here point out their faults and flaws.  I've seen these so called fanboys on other platforms now so I know what you're talking about there, they're blind to flaws with their favored brand and think the performance of their chosen detector is superior even if it's a long way from being so.  I don't often see that here.

And Steve, you sure have thinned out the herd lately 🙂  I can't bring myself to do that.

• Like 5