Deus 2 Vs Nokta/Makro Legend

Steve you got that right. "It’s just more of the same in different packages,"

All vlf detectors use the same technology. It comes down to trying to fine tune it to get the most you can out of it. Depth, separation, better target id, emi resistant.... 

SMF has pushed vlf's ahead. How much more can be engineered out of vlf technology.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

SMF has pushed vlf's ahead. How much more can be engineered out of vlf technology.

How about an SMF VLF/PI hybrid? That would be interesting. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stripes17 said:

Jeff, after reading your response to my post, I would have bet and lost the bet that you were a M/L fanboy.  Then when I read your response to Simon, I saw a different Jeff.  Although Deus is totally different as a detector to me, everyone I know who owns one has nothing but good things to say about the machine. NM also seems to have developed a loyal owner base and is why I put in a pre-order with no money down on the Legend.  Your reasoning for buying a Legend is precisely the reason I put in the pre-order.  I guess it always takes a little time and understanding to really get to know what a person is like.

Thanks, the same Jeff wrote both posts and I am not bi-polar or schizo (as far as I know) so maybe you read them from your own different personal perspectives.

I just use what works best for me and my usual detecting scenarios. I could care less what brand I use or how much it costs.

I also simply do not listen to marketing pitches and hype with the viewpoint that what is being said or hyped is totally true. Those good folks have to promote their detectors and not mentioning weakness while pointing out the weaknesses of other detector brands seems to be "normal" marketing procedure these days.

For example, I just watched Gary Blackwell/XP's first Deus ll video going over some of the features. Gary made it a point to stress the strengths of the Deus ll's target ID and notching and how they can be trusted without mentioning how poorly those two functions work in moderate to high iron and salt mineralization on the original Deus on fairly shallow targets. Gary also showed off the Deus ll's steel bottle cap rejection settings which reminded me of the Equinox iron bias. Steel bottle caps reading in the US quarter/silver range on the expensive original Deus l is very annoying. I am glad XP addressed this issue. Maybe XP did produce SMF tech that is similar to Multi IQ which would be great. Minelab did tell the world how Multi IQ was different from previous SMF tech in some of its published data. How to do it was not published.

I just don't trust regularly using the current Equinox control box under water even though I have not had a problem. Minelab not giving it a published IP rating is telling....... Nokta Makro fully waterproofed detectors have been proven to work. Adding SMF even if it is really only helpful in salt beach and moderate iron mineralization will be an improvement and will sell some detectors to people who want a budget friendly designated underwater detector. That added year on the warranty is great too.

For really serious underwater detectorists, the Deus 2's published IP rating and published useable depth are super impressive and that type of a promised waterproof capability comes at a cost. If XP's SMF is really good for more than saltwater........that will be one amazing detector. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

How about an SMF VLF/PI hybrid? That would be interesting. 

We are already there, just people don’t know it. Minelab since BBS has combined time domain and frequency domain in their multi processing, so hybrid detecting had been with us a long time now. Tarsacci is another example of multi domain processing. Most of these terms as tossed around really don’t mean a lot now, except in peoples perceptions. The problem with the hybrid approach as far as depth is it is limited by the weakest link in the combination.

Ground balancing PI does offer a genuine significant depth advantage over any induction balance technology, which people commonly refer to as VLF. GBPI has crude audio discrimination capability, and anyone wanting a genuine depth advantage, and willing to do a little extra digging, should be looking at something like a GPX 5000. People say they want more depth, and it already exists for those who need it badly enough to deal with the caveats. If there is any possibility of a genuine breakthrough in detecting still, I see it happening in that technology, not in further extensions of so-called VLF technology.

• Like 7

Copying a good thing legally is a smart business strategy. Minelab's name for detecting modes on the Equinox were a good suggestion for use, N/M Simplex had similar names. 

At least the N/M proven control box waterproofing and the included collapsible shaft that is partially carbon fiber are very different from the Equinox.

If the Gold Field program is selectable single frequency only and is more like a threshold based all metal mode, I would be fine with that too.

Yes, if the Legend performs as well as the Equinox it's a winner. Lower price, better waterproofing & maybe more coils. I loved the Equinox 800 water hunting. I quit using it in the water after it's warranty was over. So this one could replace it.

31 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Yes, if the Legend performs as well as the Equinox it's a winner. Lower price, better waterproofing & maybe more coils. I loved the Equinox 800 water hunting. I quit using it in the water after it's warranty was over. So this one could replace it.

I don't expect it to perform like the Equinox. I expect it to perform like a combination of the Simplex, Anfibio and  slightly lower frequency Gold Kruzer while having the Multi Frequency option for use when it is makes sense to use it like at saltwater locations or in ground with higher iron mineralization or mineralization that changes a lot.

Just having one Legend detector instead of a having to own the Simplex, Anfibio and Gold Kruzer (which are fine detectors plus the Legend has some features like ferrous check and improved audio to name a couple that those three detector don't have), is why I want to buy one, not because it may have better detecting performance than the Equinox.

• Like 2

I don't expect it to perform like the Equinox or better either. If it performs as well as the Equinox or even close to the Equinox I will be happy with it.

I like your thoughts of what it might perform like.

Can't wait to see some real videos of the Legend.

• Like 1

If it performs as well as the Equinox in it's multi frequency mode it'd be a bit of a miracle really.  Take a few steps back and think about that as it's a giant leap.  Now Nokta has made their clone of an Equinox and they really had to get a multi to market to keep up with other manufacturers like Garrett jumping onboard and a majority of sales of people wanting a mid-range to high end detector these days were people buying an Equinox and now when most people think new good detector they think multi frequency.  As much as people don't like the obsoletes other detectors statement, what we are seeing in the market is a result of that.

Nokta released their Anfibio "Multi" switchable single frequency detector but called it a "Multi" which caused a lot of confusion among the general detector users, the amount of times I've seen people think the Anfibio multi is just like an Equinox with it's multi frequencies and not understanding the difference, it happens all the time.   People on this forum tend to be more informed, many elsewhere are not.   Nokta did this to remain competitive, to act like they have a competitive multi frequency machine to the less informed.   On their website it's called the Anfibio Multi (5/14/20 kHz) giving people the perception it's a multi frequency machine using those frequencies.   This was to stay in the game and bought them some time while they made a genuine simultaneous multi frequency machine.  I don't care what Nokta say, they didn't make the multi as customers were asking for it, they made it as they had to make one to keep up or eventually become another First Texas.  If their single frequency customers were asking for a multi frequency machine they'd buy an Equinox.  They were seeing their single frequency detector customers buying another brand, that's what made them make one.  Only a really dedicated fan would ask them to make one and wait years for it to be released.

People are already thinking they'll match the Nox in performance, Garrett didn't and who knows how long Garrett worked on it, they kept it on the sly.  It's probably just wishful thinking and the excitement of new detectors coming.  I'd be as happy as anyone if Nokta or XP gave Minelab a good kick in the butt.  We need competition.  I certainly hope it does beat or even equal the Nox, but my hopes aren't as high as some peoples.  Some people have already awarded the Gold metal to Nokta before even seeing one in use.

• Like 5