Deus 2 Vs Nokta/Makro Legend

I too agree things have gone too far. I also disliked the Equinox bashing and was turned off by it and reacted badly towards it. Not because I am a Minelab "fanboy", but because I researched for months and worked hard to get a new detector after being out of the game for so many years, and I chose the Nox because it ticked all the boxes for what I needed, wanted, and could afford in a single detector. It has peformed well for me and I've never had a problem with it. The bashing to me was not only distasteful, but insulting to my choice and hard work.

But I'm past that now and am considering a second detector, not to replace the Nox, but to compliment it because I am learning and realizing that one machine cannot do it all for everyone. So I also wish Nokta well (and they will do fine) because the more competition and choice of detectors, the better for the detecting community.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Sincerely glad you guys are looking for something more than performance, and have found it (or may have found it for those still waiting for more reviews).

I'm currently of the viewpoint that improved separation is what will bring me the goodies in previously hunted sites, which is almost every public site in the Continental USA, as far as I can tell.  I always flash back to Tom Dankowski's experiment of, at a particular site (baseball field, I think) doing the best he could with and IB/VLF and then returning with a PI and digging everything it triggered on -- getting four times as many good finds after "hunting it out".

As I continue to learn the ML Eqx, I'm discovering that I improve at finding iffy good targets -- ones I would have passed over previously.  (The Eqx is very good at separation, IMO.)  But I think there is more capability in this IB/VLF technology without having to give up things like TID at depth and actual depth, at least I hope there is.  Maybe one (or both) of these new kids on the block will provide that.  If the findings of more detectorists show this to be the case, I'm sure I'll be making my first significant detector purchase since the Eqx.

It’s not that I’m not interested in performance, I’ve just been in the game too long to think this current generation in progress is going to make that much difference. The best I expect from Deus II is a combination of Equinox and Deus 1 performance in a single detector, not something that will exceed either to any serious degree. In one regard my bar is lower than yours, so I will be more easily satisfied.

What Toms experiment (and Culpepper, and a lifetime of nugget detecting) has proven to me is that to get it all, get a PI, or at a minimum a good all metal VLF, and dig it all. Anything else is going to leave a ton of masked targets behind, including all these latest new toys. People would be quite shocked to know what they are passing over almost every outing by employing discrimination, but that’s just the way it is.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The best I expect from Deus II is a combination of Equinox and Deus 1 performance in a single detector....

Many here (and I suspect, elsewhere) have held the Deus 1 separation as the one performance characteristic that it has over the Equinox.  I wouldn't want to conclude that this advantage applies to all sites (and I recall it's been stated that in some iron trashy sites, yes, but in aluminum trashy sites, no).  So (and others have said similarly) if the Deus 2 keeps its separation ability while duplicating the Equinox's TiD at depth it might be the improvement I'm looking for.

For my "grass is always greener on the other side" whine of the day, I wish metal detecting sales were like they were a few decades ago.  I think there were dealers who would let you take a detector for a test drive (probably on their property in a test garden).  Is anyone aware of that being the case today?  It seems like a lot of people just buy a detector, try it out, and sell it quickly for (hopefully) not much of a monetary concession.  Or if I lived in Denver, for example, I could volunteer to dig Jeff McC's targets for him while he lets me hear and see (live!) how a detector works.  :biggrin:

A year or so ago I considered getting an XP ORX and discussed it by PM with Chase.  We concluded it probably wasn't enough of a change/improvement over the Equinox to make it worthwhile.  But better would have been if I could have tried it in a situation (real or even test garden) where its separation properties could be experienced.

(Note:  I'm not writing off the N/M Legend.  It's just a bigger unknown at the moment.  Hopefully for every detectorist's sake that changes soon.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

A year or so ago I considered getting an XP ORX and discussed it by PM with Chase.  We concluded it probably wasn't enough of a change/improvement over the Equinox to make it worthwhile.  But better would have been if I could have tried it in a situation (real or even test garden) where its separation properties could be experienced.

I can fully understand your interest in the ORX. On paper it looks like just the ticket for a simple to use version of the Deus 1. In many ways (prospecting and relic hunting) it is just as good or better since the white HF coils were literally made for it. For hunting for coins and jewelry in modern aluminum trash.....at least for me, after many hours of using it in that situation, I can make it work just fine. Good quality coin and jewelry targets within the easy 0 to 4" depth level are no brainers on the ORX and Deus. But the do I dig or pass decision on so many almost good sounding targets with unstable target IDs, which turn out to be trash (from painful experience) way too often gets frustrating after about an hour along with hearing hundreds of tiny aluminum targets. Would I pick the ORX over the Equinox in a bed of nails situation....absolutely but I would follow it up with the Equinox before I left that site.

It appears that XP have solved the unstable, up averaged, generally unreliable numerical target ID issues that bedeviled the Deus 1 and ORX when used in my area. New Deus 2 users out here should be digging a lot less aluminum trash in the parks and sports fields in my area in the future.

• Like 6

On the pricing of the Legend, NM accountants likely realized they made a ton of money keeping the price of the simplex low. They sold a ton of them. Had the price been significantly higher, their actual profits would likely be less. Those happy with the Simplex may also have a tendency to buy the Legend. 

On companies bashing each other, Ford, Chevy and Dodge have been doing it for years. A segment of the population loves to hate and feel superior. Companies just give them a target, (another company). Until VLF detectors can tell the difference between lead, aluminum, and gold, I think there will be very few grand improvements. 

• Like 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gb_amateur said
For my "grass is always greener on the other side" whine of the day, I wish metal detecting sales were like they were a few decades ago.  I think there were dealers who would let you take a detector for a test drive (probably on their property in a test garden).  ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--->

Ideally the best thing would be to take the detector for at least 20 hours testing , this is the minimum required to correctly assess a machine. But this is not possible in the real life and you have to rely on other users feedbacks/reports. 

It is not specific to MD but for eveything else , cars , planes , etc .... When you buy a product , even if you have a lot of positive infos on it,  there is always a risk that it does not match your needs. As we say in France , "le risque zero n'existe pas "   (  the zero risk does not exist  )...   

Concerning the D2 there will be more more infos coming during the following days/weeks then it is probably a good thing to wait a little before taking a decision , even if the 1st tests look to be very positive. It is what I will do anyway ...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

Ideally the best thing would be to take the detector for at least 20 hours testing , this is the minimum required to correctly assess a machine. But this is not possible in the real life and you have to rely on others feedbacks/reports

I think that is a very reasonable assessment for many of us who have been detecting a while.   If I were to put in 5, four-hour beach hunts I could tell the basic strengths of a machine.  But to truly master it, would take much longer.  

• Like 4

Pulling the trigger on either of these detectors expecting something that beats the Equinox in Multi-IQ was and is a big gamble if you're buying it thinking it will better what you've got already especially with the Legend which on paper is just another Equinox, now Calabash has started to do videos of the Deus the gamble is becoming less on the Deus as even if it doesn't beat Multi-IQ he is showing where it shines and we also know it has some specifications that far exceed the Equinox like waterproofing so if you wanted a detector that is strong in the areas he's showing it's a win for you.

We still know absolutely nothing about the Nokta, except how it looks and its specifications.  When it comes to performance we are blind.  They'll try encourage pre-orders as that's a lot of sales where the people buying have little to no knowledge of the detector.  The longer they take to release it the more pre-orders they may get and I'm sure the videos will come out timed well for shipping.

It sounds like in a week or so we might start to see some videos of it being used but can't understand for the life of me why they don't want the videos out for people to watch, videos have swayed a lot of people towards the Deus, the videos are the best marketing they could get at the moment, better than someone rattling off how good it is without showing anything on a Facebook video.  I'm sure they'll be favorable, even if there is a very honest tester doing the videos their first videos would be the positives I'm sure, for all we know their contract may say they have to focus only on the positives and if there are no negatives well.. I know why.

I've never met a detector I couldn't fault.  I want to see the negatives of both detectors and if I don't well it's being hidden from us but that's pointless as users will be quick to point out the flaws a few weeks later.  Read any of Steves written reviews, flaws are pointed out, that way as a buyer you're not disappointed as you know what to expect.

It's funny how some people work though, there was this guy on Facebook, he has a Simplex and an Anfibio, never owned another detector yet he said Nokta are the best detectors on the market, now he's buying a Legend and said it will slaughter the Equinox.... how can he possibly know, he's never owned another detector to get to know and learn it and now he's saying a detector not even released with no knowledge on it's performance is slaughtering the current market leader in it's class. 

That's a person I'd never listen to, and that could be the sort of person releasing the testing videos for all I know as they're certainly going to pick people that are very favorable to the brand to be their testers.  I prefer people that use a range of detectors and have tried many, someone that has an idea how other detectors operate.  Calabash seemed a good choice to me for the Deus as his hunting grounds and targets of interest are where the Dues 1 excels so a natural fit for the Deus 2, it's a role I'd never want to take though, I just use the videos as another piece of the puzzle of information and not as a decision maker.

Another guy chimed in and said the Legend will be DEEP as he's got a Racer 2 and it's the deepest detector on the market so he's going to buy a Legend as it will be better than the Racer 2.  He couldn't be more wrong, clearly never used a PI.  In my mild soil my Ace 350 is one of my deepest VLF's when combined with a big coil, isn't that just odd, lower frequency I guess.

• Like 4

For me it was easy.. Deus 2 .  For several reasons... I was kinda turned off by the sales pitch video/release as it looked unprofessional in my opinion. Also I've been reading the country Turkey itself is struggling financially.  Scares me a little.  Another is I love the design of the deus stem, removable remote, etc. Great reputation and best warranty..  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm still mulling over what replacement I want for my old Excalibur I and haven't made up my mind yet. I'm thinking maybe an Excalibur II, or one of these newer multi-frequency detectors, or a Garrett Sea hunter.

One of my big concerns is to find a detector that can discriminate out iron. The Excalibur iron mask worked great and saved a lot of digging. So, are the new multi-frequency detectors as good at masking iron or at least IDing iron on the screen? For me, I like the idea of a lighter,  all purpose detector if they really are good under water too, cause that's my main area these days.

But on the con side, these 10 ft "waterproof" machines don't seem to be too trustworthy under water. Maybe the Legend can solve that problem, or the Deus 2, which I guess is expected to since it's being billed as a detector suitable for diving.

I like the Garrett Sea Hunter for being reliably waterproof and it's great reputation on finding jewelry, (if you're willing to go all metal and dig everything, since I know most everyone says the discrimination modes are a waste of time). So I'm wondering maybe its possible to tune ones ear to iron targets just by audio sounds on the Sea Hunter. If not, then it's dig all the iron out of the ocean floor!

I would love to hear what you think . . .

• Like 1