Deus 2 Vs Nokta/Makro Legend

To throw a spanner in the works there is a highly modified Equinox on the market in Russia, they seem to gut an Equinox and use it's electronics in their own housing and it is waterproof to 10 meters (32 feet).  They incorporate 3 batteries to extend battery life in it too and use their own touchpad with what they say are better buttons.  They also supply headphones with it they say are better than the Koss ones that Minelab sell.  I've got the Koss ones although I've rarely used them ,they seem OK.

this second video is in Russian but shows pictures of it a bit better

The only reason I know about it is a guy I know in NZ bought one and it's just arrived. 

Here are the photos he shows of his one, good on Steve for giving it a shot though, if it works out for him he's now got himself a nice diving detector with an extended battery life.

450844126_seawolfequinox2.thumb.jpg.50c8dd9890db4a2994e115492b185ae8.jpg

1580420993_seawolfequinox.thumb.jpg.3d8ef641ee762d53036bbc554e2bd0a0.jpg

I'm considering getting it but now with the Deus 2 on the market is there really a point trying to improve the Equinox waterproofing? Maybe not, all comes down to the Deus 2 performance.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

To throw a spanner in the works there is a highly modified Equinox on the market in Russia, they seem to gut an Equinox and use it's electronics in their own housing and it is waterproof to 10 meters (32 feet).  They incorporate 3 batteries to extend battery life in it too and use their own touchpad with what they say are better buttons.  They also supply headphones with it they say are better than the Koss ones that Minelab sell.  I've got the Koss ones although I've rarely used them ,they seem OK.

this second video is in Russian but shows pictures of it a bit better

The only reason I know about it is a guy I know in NZ bought one and it's just arrived. 

Here are the photos he shows of his one, good on Steve for giving it a shot though, if it works out for him he's now got himself a nice diving detector with an extended battery life.

450844126_seawolfequinox2.thumb.jpg.50c8dd9890db4a2994e115492b185ae8.jpg

1580420993_seawolfequinox.thumb.jpg.3d8ef641ee762d53036bbc554e2bd0a0.jpg

I'm considering getting it but now with the Deus 2 on the market is there really a point trying to improve the Equinox waterproofing? Maybe not, all comes down to the Deus 2 performance.

I remember reading about the sea wolf mod a while back.  I thought I might send my nox off to them some day, but that was before the new deus got announced.  My nox is almost four years old now and hasn’t given me any problems but you never know.  To send it off for the sea wolf package and have something totally unrelated to the sea wolf mod go bad is not a chance I want to take.  I’m all in for the deus II with it’s five year warranty and (what looks like), better performance than the nox.  As an aside, I really like the way sea wolf puts all of the buttons including the user program button on the face of the unit so everything’s accessible with one hand.  

• Like 1

Now that it's been a couple months since this thread started I still feel like the D2 Vs Legend is not a fair comparson. We now know much more about the Deus II and it is already rolling out to consumers, while the Legend is still not in its final version yet. Beyond all that, the D2 seems to be poised as a much more high end machine targeted for a higher end market and at a higher price point. The Legend is obviously aimed at the existing SMF market and at a midline price point. While the Legend is still largely unknown regarding performance in all arenas, the D2 has shown high performance capabilities in most arenas.

So with the current available information, we have the Deus II, which appears to be a step up from the current SMF machines at a much higher price and the coming soon Legend which will most likely be in the mid range with the other SMF detectors. I can't imagine how the Legend would be able to surpass the Deus II in performance and capabilites and maintain such a low price point. 

The Deus II would appear to be the most bang for the buck in its class, if your buget will allow it, and the Legend could be a contender in its class, but that still remains to be seen. Just my current opinion.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

..., we have the Deus II, which appears to be a step up from the current SMF machines at a much higher price...

This might change during the coming months with the Deus2 WS6 master "Lite" version . The D2 WS6 master will probably be at around 800e/$ , then almost the same as the Legend . 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 3:11 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

An IP68 rated device might be good to 10 feet, but for how long? Is it possible many detectorists stay in water longer than 30 minutes?

Thanks for your knowledgeable posts Ghostlight..

I've just bought the Deus 2 as a scuba detector to replace the Equinox.. I've never had the Equinox leak but I never trusted it to stay waterproof for long.. also the constant dread that one day the thing is sure to leak..  In shallow water down to 5 metres I'll happily plod away for 2 hours with my PulseDive (on a 12 litre tank), but there's no way I'd ever use an Equinox underwater for that long (or deeper than 3 metres)..

Although I'm yet to take the Deus 2 for a dive (it should be here by Friday) it does seem far more waterproof for longer than the Equinox or even the Legend - Is anyone using a Legend as their main scuba detector? Has the Legend been released yet? Sorry about my ignorance but I've been consumed by all things XP..

Backing up their claim that the Deus 2 is waterproof to 20 metres with a 5 year warranty has won me over.. It'll open up much deeper waters and places.. I'm keen to take it for a dive near old jetties and shipwrecks around the island as well as deeper in the bays.. Even the Deus 2 manual shows they've tested the detector at depth, it says the screen on the control box could crack at 35 metres or that at depths greater than 20 metres you may notice the water pressure compressing the LCD..   

I'm also trying to find out about just using the control box speakers (without headphones).. Is it loud and clear underwater? Is anyone diving with the Deus 2 using just the speakers? or are the bone-conduction head phones the way forward.. If I can hear the speakers underwater (I wear hearing aids) I don't think I'd use headphones, for the same reason I never wear headphones on land.. My hearing aids pick up the nuances in sound from the speakers very nicely and wearing headphones doesn't improve it.. If i can hear the Deus 2 speakers underwater that would be a bonus..   

Thanks again for your posts, and everyone else.. I realise I'm playing catch-up here and I'm very thankful for your knowledge.. 😃 

• Like 2

The Legend has not been released yet and there are no test videos of it diving. Calabash has the only dive videos with the D2 that I have found and it performs very well in those. He uses the Bonephones and dives fresh water, so you may be the first to report on salt water diving. I look forward to your report.

• Like 1

Well, I made up my mind and ordered the Garrett Sea Hunter to replace my Excalibur. Just don't feel like waiting to see if the Legend holds up to it's sales pitch, and I figure my other detectors will be good for other activities on land. Could have gotten another Excalibur, but I couldn't resist the price at Optic Planet. $522 which includes a 10% discount. that's 1/3 of the price of a new Excalibur or Deus 2.

I'll be happy in the surf with the Sea Hunter and I'll just watch the development of those all purpose multi-frequency machines. But as long as they are mostly advertised as only good for 10 ft. in the water, I believe Steve when he says they all will fail at some time or other. (Except maybe my Minelab SDC 2300 which is built like a tank, but it floats)

1 hour ago, c47gold said:

But as long as they are mostly advertised as only good for 10 ft. in the water, I believe Steve when he says they all will fail at some time or other. (Except maybe my Minelab SDC 2300 which is built like a tank, but it floats)

The way you stated this makes me think you missed the fact that Deus II is rated for 20 meters depth. 

Regardless, the Sea Hunter is indeed rated to 200 ft. and is a relatively powerful, value priced dig it all PI machine.  HH

I might have been a little unclear. I said "mostly" good for only 10 ft. because I was thinking of the the Deus 2 which as you said is a diving detector to 20 meters. But isn't it still not quite sure how all purpose the Deus 2 will prove to be?