Deus 2 Vs Nokta/Makro Legend

40 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

In the Deus 2 v Legend arguement, it's not even a battle. The Legend is not in the same class as the Deus 2.

For the water hunters, the IP rating of the Deus 2 and Legend are IP68, however the Legend is only rated at 10 feet (the same as the Equinox) and the Deus 2 is rated at 60 feet. To get an IP68 rating, a device only has to be dustproof and be able to keep water out to a depth of 4.92 feet for 30 minutes. An IP68 ratng does not guarantee a device to be dive worthy.

That might be the problem with some Noxes flooding and possibly the Legend following suit as well. An IP68 rated device might be good to 10 feet, but for how long? Is it possible many detectorists stay in water longer than 30 minutes? How long and how deep do detector companies test their machines in fresh water and salt water?

The Deus 2, on the other hand, far exceeds the 10 foot rating and directly addresses the pressure problem as well. The Deus 2 is a much higher end machine, IMHO, than the Legend and probably even the Equinox in many respects,

Still, as I look at the Deus 2 as a real contender, I will keep my Nox since I feel real comfortable with it after a few years. Learning a new machine is not a priority for me, so I'll bide my time, saving up all my Zincolns, while waiting for the first round to play out and see what else is coming into the ring. 😎

Deus 2 is also IP68 rated. But like Minelab and NM they can promise and warranty for whatever they want, and what they think they can afford in the way of leaks, which I bet will happen. I actually basically agree with you, but at end of day the actual IP rating for the Deus 2 is the same as the others, and all that really matters is how well they engineered above and beyond that basic rating. And that, only time will tell.

deus-2-ip68.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The ground is freezing here, and so I would not expect any early reports from me.

Last I looked at the map, it wasn't all that far from Reno to Arizona....  Please, please, please.  😄

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Last I looked at the map, it wasn't all that far from Reno to Arizona....  Please, please, please.  😄

Problem is I will be using a GPX 6000 for 90% plus of my detecting in 2022, so all this "which VLF is best" stuff is very honestly not that important to me. Too jaded after all these years I guess to think it really makes a difference. All I really need is a GPX 6000 and an Equinox, and it's just old habits, curiosity, and impulse buying, that keeps getting me into this. :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Oh, oh, I generated a sad face! Sorry about that, and I guess I should be flattered that my opinion matters so much, so thanks for that.

Let me ask you this Chuck. What are you hoping for? What do you expect? That Deus 2 can easily replace both a Deus and an Equinox? For me the answer is no. The Deus 2 can't even replace my Equinox alone. If anyone asks me what machine to have out of the three, Legend, Equinox, Deus 2, I'm going with Equinox. But that's just me because I really, truly, do need that 6" round coil, and 15" x 12" coil. If waterproof integrity and water hunting were job one, then I'd probably say Deus 2 instead.

But that's just me from my perspective and my detecting needs. What is it you want Chuck, and what are you hoping Deus 2 will do for you, that your current detectors will not already do? If it's something I can help answer, I will.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Deus 2 is also IP68 rated. But like Minelab and NM they can promise and warranty for whatever they want, and what they think they can afford in the way of leaks, which I bet will happen. I actually basically agree with you, but at end of day the actual IP rating for the Deus 2 is the same as the others, and all that really matters is how well they engineered above and beyond that basic rating. And that, only time will tell.

deus-2-ip68.jpg

I just realized thanks to this graphic that the Deus II has shock resistance. I don't know what kind of "rating" it is, but I don't recall any other metal detecting company having that as a feature.

I don't have a job or hobby that necessitates equipment or gear that's "shock rated." However, after using a G-Shock watch for 5+ years, I have come to appreciate that when something is built to be shockproof, it often means there's a level of quality and robustness that isn't present with non-shock-designed devices. 

Ignoring everything else about the Deus II in terms of performance, it's almost like this machine is the "Panasonic Toughbook" of metal detectors, which if true, would be a very nice bonus.

It'll take a while, but I'm excited to see if the Deus II has a level of durability that meets or exceeds our expectations.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I just realized thanks to this graphic that the Deus II has shock resistance. I don't know what kind of "rating" it is, but I don't recall any other metal detecting company having that as a feature.

I don't have a job or hobby that necessitates equipment or gear that's "shock rated." However, after using a G-Shock watch for 5+ years, I have come to appreciate that when something is built to be shockproof, it often means there's a level of quality and robustness that isn't present with non-shock-designed devices. 

Ignoring everything else about the Deus II in terms of performance, it's almost like this machine is the "Panasonic Toughbook" of metal detectors, which if true, would be a very nice bonus.

It'll take a while, but I'm excited to see if the Deus II has a level of durability that meets or exceeds our expectations.

No different than the Legend being shock proof , though not advertised as such. It's in the build quality unlike the Nox housing. Similar to "military grade" on cell phone cases. Or a drop test on the cellphone itself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Let me ask you this Chuck. What are you hoping for?

You mean what I'm hoping the XP Deus 2 (or the N/M Legend) will do for me, I assume.  Really, for me it's about getting separation without losing (much) dTID depth.  It's been touched on before (likely by you, but others for sure) that in 2020's detecting for old coins (my detecting passion) comes down to two things -- 1) getting permissions for hunts on private property that hopefully have never seen a detector, and 2) being able to squeeze out some oldies from previously detected public sites that earlier detectors missed because of limitations in separation (both kinds -- iron masking and dense, small aluminum trash).

#1 doesn't require a new detector but rather the courage, communication skills, and acceptance of rejection to do the cold calling (plus some research).  #2 is where I'm hoping a future detector (and that includes the two titled in this thread, as yet unreleased options) will succeed.  Realistically a detector that beats the ML Equinox in separation abilities while keeping its other strengths (specifically dTID's at depth) is a big ask.  But for now what else can we do but hope?  Well, continue to learn the detector I currently use 95% of the time is a good option....

I think all this hope, speculation, begging for reviews (in my case) is kind of a way to spend (err, waste?) time during the slow months.  I don't say this to describe everyone's views or intentions, though, mostly just mine.

As far as you taking the XP Deus 2 south for some gold detecting (and first impressions review), in my case that again is little more than appeasing my curiosity.  Even if you were to move it ahead of the Garrett/White's 24K and ML Equinox 800 as the top IB/VLF for gold detecting, it wouldn't impact my purchase decisions since I don't get out West enough to make the cost sensible.  And you already said its current coil options are far from ideal for small nugget hunting.

Hey, the sun's out and it's 42F (~7C).  Maybe I should get off my duff and put my detector where my mouth is.  🙂

• Like 4

My Nox has been dropped hundreds of times, on rocks too.  It's not as flimsy as made out.  Waterproofing may not be ideal but the detector itself is pretty robust, the coil ears are a bit of a concern too.  At the time the Nox was released they did a lot to cut the costs of the detector itself as for the performance you were getting the Nox was under priced.   You got a lot of detector for the money.  Now brands are playing catch up and saying theirs is better and pointing out the flaws in an old product that they've done better. 

I look forward to Minelab's answer to all this criticism, they may not listen to their customers but they do respond to competition.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

No different than the Legend being shock proof , though not advertised as such. It's in the build quality unlike the Nox housing. Similar to "military grade" on cell phone cases. Or a drop test on the cellphone itself.

But a company advertising something is "shockproof" (depending on the company) makes a difference. 

So yes, it's all about the build quality, but the better the build quality, the more promises a company can make in reference to the build quality.

Perhaps the Legend is more shockproof than the Deus II, but N/M has higher standards before they market a feature in one of their products...I don't know. So I have to assume (for now), that XP explicitly touting the shockproofness of their Deus II means it'll be more robust in real world conditions than the Legend.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I look forward to Minelab's answer to all this criticism

Me too! Minelab doesn't seem like the type of company that sits around and lets the competition fly by them. 

• Like 1