Nokta Makro Vs Others?

Why do in feel like Nokta Makro copy other manufacturers? This new one has alot of similarities of the equinox. The simplex I feel had alot of similarities to the deus, Fast mode (park 2) deep (park 1) pitch mode (field) same shape shaft. The lower rod on the simplex fits in the deus and it's an odd shape. No other manufacturers use that shape for the shaft as far as I know. So I'm guessing they copy electronics also which is why they can get new detectors to market faster. Change some cosmetics, copy electronics and bam new detector. The first ones were alot like Fisher, now nox with deus in between. Lol. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

If you are inferring Nokta is violating intellectual property rights/patents related to circuitry and software, then yeah, you're probably wrong.  If you think they are "borrowing" good ideas from their competition without violating their IP rights that is probably true and would be expected of a serious contender.  As Steve mentioned in another thread, good design ideas tend to make similar products converge in look and feel.  So the cell phone on a stick design seems to be what detector manufacturers have gravitated towards versus the metal electronics box under the elbow rest (a la Whites).  

I get concerned when manufacturer's overly focus on a competitor's previous design.  I felt that ML overly constrained themselves by trying to make Vanquish look like a Garrett Ace 400.  Garrett ups and releases the Ace Apex and from a style perspective makes the Vanquish look like some sort of retro toy and significantly limited the design by leaving a single frequency mode and ground balance on the cutting room floor.  Big mistake IMO.

Nokta's apparent obsession with Equinox may have blinded them to what both Garrett and XP are doing the SMF world now, perhaps to their detriment.  However, I think Nokta sticking to their price point and packing as much value as they could into Legend will likely make Legend a serious and perhaps winning alternative to folks who are considering either an Apex or Equinox 600 as their first SMF detector.

• Like 2

Yeah that's all I meant, not a direct duplicate.  I do think they make good detectors.  I haven't connected really well with most of them.  Not like my deus or equinox. I did order the new deus 2 and may order the new legend next summer after some guys gets their hands on them.  Time will tell.  

On 11/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, basstrackerman said:

Why do in feel like Nokta Makro copy other manufacturers? This new one has alot of similarities of the equinox. The simplex I feel had alot of similarities to the deus, Fast mode (park 2) deep (park 1) pitch mode (field) same shape shaft. The lower rod on the simplex fits in the deus and it's an odd shape. No other manufacturers use that shape for the shaft as far as I know. So I'm guessing they copy electronics also which is why they can get new detectors to market faster. Change some cosmetics, copy electronics and bam new detector. The first ones were alot like Fisher, now nox with deus in between. Lol. Am I wrong?

You are not completely off base. We would not like what NM is doing if it were a Chinese company. Sometimes the only difference is NM is coming in through the front door with a product that at least looks a bit different, while the Chinese are climbing in through the bathroom window with clones. In some ways NM is climbing to the top by underselling the innovations of the Equinox. To what degree idk, but I suspect one of the issues they have with the term “multi-IQ” is a legal one. Once you describe, label, and patent a technology it becomes your protected intellectual property and more difficult for others to duplicate and market it, so they prefer to refer to it generically as “simultaneous multifrequency.” NM does have some innovations of their own, like the PulseDive, built in vibration and LED, but until they are more innovative with the full machines outside of exterior build, many of us are going to feel much like you are. It has caused very mixed feelings in me. Yesterday’s presentation resurrected those feelings. Technologically, It felt like simply a duplicated and repackaged equinox. I think they are capable of their own contributions. I’ve seen their work in imaging. All companies borrow from each other and evolve. It’s just a question of to what degree and where the line is drawn. If Minelab feels anyone has crossed that line they have a way of letting them know. Time will tell. So far, nobody has sued NM that I’m aware of, so we have to assume that while it doesn’t make good optics, they are within their bounds. 

• Like 2

I have to agree, that is the immediate feeling I got with this new release and the feeling I had about the Simplex. I feel they try too hard to get a market share by looking like their competition while only offering minimal perceived benefits. I don't begrudge Nokta their place in the market at all and I hope they come up with a truely innovative detector again like their imaging detector, and I certainly think there is a place for all of their products. But as someone eluded to in a previous thread, there is a reason the H in Hundai looks like the H in Honda. But there are also reasons one is more expensive than the other, many of which are unnoticed on the surface. Once we see the Legend's actual performance in the real world, I may have to eat crow, but with a little ketchup, it's not so bad. 😎

• Like 1

N/M might be doing what you say they are, but I don't see the issue. Well, I do, but it happens everywhere*,so I guess I don't see it as a big deal. Of course, this assumes no IP laws are being violated and no industrial espionage is taking place here.

*Examples: GUI for PCs, space shuttles, smartphones, Sabremetrics, etc.

• Like 1