121 Gram Nugget Found In New Zealand

phrunt

Yes, I think you're right with the location, similar location to NuggetHunterNZ's great find last year too. 

They do genuine videos and do seem like great guys.  A different approach to many Youtube video makers that's for sure, just real guys doing real prospecting.

• Like 2

For sure, and they seem Kiwi as too, so no surprise the content is down to earth they’re just doing their thing. I went for a 3 week trip to NZ some years back and it was one of the best places I’ve ever been, really reminded me of AK. Boarding the plane to go home I was thinking, why in the hell am I going back? 

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing the video it was very nice to see and I just wish they would have been recording when they found it.

That is the reason I enjoy the creeks as you never know what you will find in them. I plan to use my Nox in the creeks soon before it freezes as during the summer I never get a chance to go. I have found plenty of nuggets in our creeks near me while panning and sluicing.

Can't wait to see some of your finds this year Simon.

• Like 2

The big reason they wouldn't have filmed is you never expect larger nuggets in NZ, they would have been pretty confident they were going to be digging some junk.  A big booming target like that...  Nearly impossible it'd be a nugget.   I've done it myself, when I film nugget finds I tend to film the little signals that live on past being a shotgun pellet near the surface.  I've never once caught one of my bigger nugget finds on video as they're so much less common than the smaller ones and a target like that blowing your ear drums you would be 110% confident it was junk, it was a once in a lifetime find, but I do hope they do it again some day 🙂

I doubt I'll have a find video like that to post up, but you never know... that's what keeps us scratching away in the soil. 😛

• Like 6

4 hours ago, alaska detector said:

I love watching abyss dredging’s videos, they really get on the gold and seem like genuinely great guys. Where they’re detecting, I’m fairly certain this is in the west coast of the South Island, probably between Greymouth and Nelson.

Given how river worn those nuggets are I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re coming from an old channel. I really hope they’re plotting their finds into a GPS so they can look for patterns.

That makes sense about an old channel being bisected by the one they’re in. And based on the side slopes upstream, it could be deposits higher than the present stream channel. Mapping their finds would benreally important.

Thanks Simon

I'm glad to watch them stick that coil in and under the water.  I have one and I've used it but not in the wet so far.  I know I'll be using it at the beach sometime in the next few weeks on a low tide.  I don't want to wade with it but I'll get it wet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Thanks Simon

I'm glad to watch them stick that coil in and under the water.  I have one and I've used it but not in the wet so far.  I know I'll be using it at the beach sometime in the next few weeks on a low tide.  I don't want to wade with it but I'll get it wet.

I think you'll be fine, I've used my Coiltek Joey in the water a bit, never had an issue, Coiltek advertised it as waterproof.

A little update on this story, the nugget was found in the Nelson area which is at the top of the South Island, on the West Coast side.

A story from the national news paper about it today had a bit of information on it along with indicating a gold boom is going on in the area at the moment.

It also has an interview with my favourite dealer Dan where I get my stuff from, he's a good bloke.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/surge-in-prospecting-on-west-coast-as-gold-prices-soar/TE7TCKHL47PJQ25THAELFLQXWI/

1743371545_dangerber.thumb.jpg.9e2ea88330809ba7b7aebacccca3afeb.jpg

• Like 6

From looking at shape and size of the nugget I suspect that nugget came from a hydrothermal deposit. From my experience Metamorphic deposits don't produce such large nuggets and produce mostly smaller nuggets and mostly flake gold, but there are exceptions.  I must say what find!!!!! Good going!!!!

Michael