Not As Much Silver As Some Half-dollars

Big silver and big silver clad can wrap on dd coils very easy giving garbage sounds. Happens on my Kruzer but I can reduce the effect with a lower frequency ie switch to 5khz. Nice you spent the extra bit of time to investigate, nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great save and nice hunting, the Nox hits hard on silver and I know when you hit the half it must have really hit hard.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yeah....'65-'70 are 40% silver.  The '70 is a fairly rare one also so keep that in mind when you decide to unload em

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a great find and good on you for going the extra mile. Could be the photos but it doesn't look like it was too deep either. I will often investigate some signals that persist even if I lift the coil, but if it gets past my shovel depth I'm done 😀

Good call. 👍

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

will often investigate some signals that persist even if I lift the coil, but if it gets past my shovel depth I'm done 😀

Lifting the coil is a good way to gauge if it is deep junk or not, but this was an exception. When I lifted the coil on this coin, because it was only about 6 inches down, it still rang in clearly to at least 12 inches above the ground. Shallow jewelry hunting is also an exception, but the double hit sound helps judge depth as well. I was running at 23 sensitivity today at a park, and the shallower coins really sounded big and deep. I guess a dig-it-all mentality would remedy all doubt. However, when at a park, aching knees tend to limit my desire to do that.😁

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The ole "lift the coil" trick can be a double edged sword, as you almost found out.  Plenty of people have left behind big coins (silver or not) because they thought it "sounded too big".  If your mind is making you the least bit curious about a target for some reason you cant quite decipher - listen to your intuition and dig that puppy!  Theres conscious competency where you can mentally understand and explain something and theres unconscious competency, where you know how to do something, but cant really explain it, you just "know" without understanding it enough to explain why.  Call it a gut feeling, intuition or whatever.  If your mind is telling you to dig, trust it and who cares if you can explain what it is about that sound that made you curious.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, philber said:

Theres conscious competency where you can mentally understand and explain something and theres unconscious competency, where you know how to do something, but cant really explain it, you just "know" without understanding it enough to explain why.  Call it a gut feeling, intuition or whatever.  If your mind is telling you to dig, trust it and who cares if you can explain what it is about that sound that made you curious.

Our brains sometimes pick up clues that our consciousness otherwise doesn't notice.  I've heard people call this 'intuition' or 'instinct' or other more mystical things, but IMO it's just the power of our brains sorting through noise to find a signal -- high level pattern recognition.  This half dollar is a good example.  But regardless, I'm certainly in the "If in doubt, dig it out" camp.  For every 'trick' I've noticed or read about to avoid digging trash I've found an exception.  And I bet I still leave a few in the ground.  Isolated good targets in mild ground, horizontally orientated are easy.  It's when you add complications (mineralization, on-edge target, nearby trash) that those tricks don't work anymore.  That's when our brains, both the conscious and sub-conscious parts, really earn their keep.

• Like 3