I've had a Gold Bug for 5 or 6 months now. Intermittently when I press the "+" button to increase discrimination  it switches into pinpoint mode, will stay there until I release the button and re-press and will then work fine (usually). I've ensured my fat little finger is no where near the pin point button.  Been telling myself its likely just some software glitch, annoying, but I can live with it vs. sending it in for repair.  Part of me says "get it fixed before the warranty expires stupid". Well cooler weather is here and I will be sending it in.

Just curious if any of you have had the same problem?

It's a problem with the buttons, it's not a software glitch, get it fixed under warranty.

• Like 4

Phrunt, for clarification, are you saying you had this problem, and it was a bad switch/button?

Or are you just weighing in on your best guess?

I was just putting this question out there to see if it was a common problem or did I just get un-lucky.

By the lack of response it looks like the latter.

I was going to mail it in earlier this week, but then realized I have a four day weekend coming up and would make more sense to send it next week.

If it was a software problem it'd be a problem with all Bugs on the same software version which it's not.  It'd be well documented if it was.

Sounds like the pod has a faulty button connection like the two buttons are occasionally shorting on each other.   I can't overly remember internally what it's like as I haven't pulled my Bug apart for over a year since I added a switch for all metal/disc onto it so I didn't have to mess around with the knob.

20181020_152121.thumb.jpg.d25f52f3e8803ea4cdeedee698c9ddee.jpg

Certainly something you should get warranty on as it's not a software problem.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By IdahoPeg
      Picked up my GM1000 from Gerry on Friday, then after doing chores up at the cabin got it out yesterday and today. Used the larger coil for scouting out a new spot and after a couple hours of no decent targets yesterday, went over the same area with my GB2. Still nothing, so at least I didn't miss anything in that area, but I wasn't real comfortable with the Monster yet. So today, after yacking with VA Nurse Paul last night and Scott T today...both singing its praises, I put the small coil on it and went to my "old reliable" bench to see if I could squeak out another baby nugget. Moved rocks and dug up some sagebrush....initially hunting with trusty GB2 to get a target, then compare it with the Monster. Wow, it could hear the Fly-poo AU I find up there, and the disc was pretty reliable! I found 3 pieces using the GB2 first, then once I was more comfortable with how the Monster responds, it sniffed out 6 more! I noticed on some "iffy" signals that the Goldbug heard, the Monster picked them up a bit better. I was using manual 10 sensitivity and All Metal/deep, and as others have mentioned, it does false if you hit a rock etc. Not using headphones and having no threshold hum was actually nice for a change too.  Pretty cool machine....tomorrow I'm going to hit the hard rock gravels and see how it does. :-)
    • By oldcoinhunter
      My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.
    • By relicmeister
      I sold an essentially new 9” hf coil to a guy who tells me after first use that it won’t stay connected to the remote. Does anyone know what the problem could be? He also says it should have come with a charger but I’ve bought several XP coils and they don’t come with a charger. I’m going to suggest he re-enter the coil serial number and give the coil a full charge. Coil was perfect for me. 
    • By Dug2gld
      Again the tarsacci finds the deep brass today in a colonial site. Love the machine.  Old stuff including a thimble at about 15 inches down.  Having an issue with the pinpoint button sticking though. Anyone else have this issue??  
    • By Reno Chris
      The Fisher Gold Bug 2 has been around for decades and is well known as one of the most sensitive metal detectors on the market. It has been the gold nugget detector of choice for many over the years. There really has never been a Gold Bug 3 - though some have asked for it. Fisher has now updated the user interface of the GB2. However the features and the guts of the detector remain the same but the user will now have an easier time of operating the machine. It is still a manual ground balance machine, but I think its a good step forward toward making it easier to use.
      Don't ask me why all Fisher gold oriented detectors are called the Gold Bug. I have no idea. These new versions of the GB 2 are supposed to be available to dealers now. If you have any questions on it, I'll try and answer as best as I can.
      Anyway, I recently had one in the field and got to try it out. I did a video on it if you are interested in learning more. You can see the video at:

• By Mick93
      We do like Steve,  wife sold her nox 800 just before 3 years and ordered her new one. Showed up today and she was all excited ,put it together, charged up ready to try it out. Well the on/off switch wouldn't work!  She was a little disappointed but Minelab said send it in, so off it went !