Second Faulty 6000

My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 6

Sorry to hear that! Yes, quality control was pretty nonexistent on this release. I mentioned in an earlier post, that out of the 4 of us who meet up to detect, 2 of us had faulty detectors out of the box...a 50% crap rate! Thank goodness my replacement seems ok. Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 2

I had rattling in mine too that I noticed when I was cleaning it up for the end of the year, I was concerned. I took off the cover for the plate for the speaker and saw there was a screw that had worked it’s way lose, and another that was going to be. These were the two top screws that look like they connect to the shaft housing? You may want to check there.

Anyways, I tightened them back down, and crossing my fingers because I love my 6000.  No issues other than the screws, though it’s was pretty noisy the last time I took it out, but I chalked that up to the snow on the ground and it clinging/freezing to the coil.

I’m sorry your having issues, it really is a great detector when they work.  

• Like 2

Mine has been fine so far (knock on wood)......one of the first out once the dealers finally got their orders shipped to them 

Sorry to hear about this and hope you are well taken cared of. I know they have good service but I still hope you get a good unit soon.

• Like 1

Its a concern, next year will be our first year in umpteen that we don't have a Backup detector ( previously a ML4500 for the last 10 years, then a 3000 and prior a 2200) its a 2200km approx trip to get there.

Some 7 years ago a mate had issues with his 4500 and it was around a 15 day turnaround to get it repaired and returned to the bush and ML gave it priority service.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.

So you know what steps Minelab has taken or is taking internally to address the issue? As long as defective units are being replaced or repaired free under warranty, talk of class action lawsuits is a bit over the top.

But I get it, you are frustrated, and have every right to be. Two bad units in a row would frustrate anybody. What was the exact failure of this second machine, symptoms exhibited, etc.? I’m sorry to hear of the difficulty you are having. :sad:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Guys,

I believe this is one of my customers, really the only Minelab GPX 6000 that has been faulty that I have sold (knock on wood).  Myself, Deb, Keith and Detector Center have been working to get him a 3rd unit ASAP.  I could only imagine the frustration, but I have to give it to Deb at Minelab & Keith at Detector Center that they have done their absolute best to get this resolved.  

As frustrating has this can be, there is now a procedure that has to be followed when something is under warranty.  Many years back, us as Minelab Dealers could just ship a unit from our own inventory to replace the detector and then deal with getting the faulty one replaced.  Due to paperwork, warranty and such, this is no longer something that can be done.  

All detector must go back to Detector Center in PA for a replacement.  Detector Center will not ship another unit out until the warranty/faulty unit is returned with all accessories/coils.  It's my understanding they have been burned and never had units arrive back, but new replacements shipped out, so the the company is out 2 brand new units. 

This is about my kind of luck, so I understand the frustration of purchasing a detector that is $6000 and realize you got a bad one, let alone a second unit that was also bad.  

It's my understanding per the customer that the issue was not EMI, bad searchcoil, loose connections, improper use and such, but more so something potentially internally.  I was never able to troubleshoot or physically see the unit in action, just a handful of short videos where the unit wasn't working properly.  

That all being said, hopefully the customer will see another Minelab GPX 6000 in his hands before the end of this week, or early next week at the latest due to the Holiday. 

I think most would agree, the Minelab brand is one of the best in the World, so I know there Quality control is good, so I can't comment on what might have happened.  

Rob

• Like 2