Some Old Rusties

• The title was changed to Some Old Rusties

That is some good relics there. Nice clean up.

Reverse electrolysis works well on iron. I have plumbers wrenches similar to the one you found. They used to have nice wood handles.

Great stuff.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that adjustable wrench was not intended for plumbing. The jaws are flat for machine bolts.

• Like 2

Great finds, love the old locks, and glad you shared these with us.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 1

My brother was up in Oregon a few weeks ago and seen some of these wrenches in an antique shop...yep they had a nice wood handle. I used to pass up the big iron sounding stuff but now at least dig to see what it is...everything tells a story about the place you are hunting and I’m learning to stop and smell the roses a little...it’s not all about finding silver and gold. 

Strick 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, strick said:

...Everything tells a story about the place you are hunting and I’m learning to stop and smell the roses a little...it’s not all about finding silver and gold.

It also tells me a lot about when a site was inhabited/used and what other finds might be lurking within coil range.  Most people get annoyed finding ring-and-beavertail pulltabs.  I relish seeing them (well, at least the first one :unsure:).  ==> 1975 or earlier and I'm getting close to the silver coin era.  Just found one yesterday (in the 4th hour of a hunt).  I was at an older site but one which had been extentensively reworked, meaning dirt moved around and thus piled on top of the 'paydirt'.  The R&B pulltab told me I had found a spot which hadn't been covered over and that I should spend more time there.

But I understand your point.  For many this hobby/endeavor involves history and those old relics remind us and teach us about that.  Good stuff, strick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks this was my first time trying the vinegar bath method..have used electrolysis as well....I'm not sure what works better thinking electrolysis maybe ...I still have to wire brush these off when I get time. 

strick

• Like 1

Great iron relics. I love finding those. I've let some of them soak for a week in white vinegar and all the rust is gone.

• Thanks 1