Just Wondering... What Exactly Are The Faulty Gpx6000 Symptoms?

Aureous

Seeing how this topic has numerous mentions across the internet, what are the range of faults exhibited? My nearest dealer is over an hour from me so I don't want to travel back and forth after picking mine up if I get a faulty one. So I know what to look for after collection and field test. 

I've personally seen 2 x failures.

The first one out of the box would try to start up - the display would start the start up process & then just shutdown. Thought it may have been a dud battery but same thing with another brand new battery.

It went back & although it was a pain they said it was a 5min fix. Ribbon cable not connected/clipped on properly between boards due to a new manufacturing process (2 × boards in the 6k - others only have 1).

2nd one probably got about 10-20hrs max. without any apparent issue. We stopped for lunch one day then it kept coming up with a coil error after lunch. Changed it with 3 x other coils but still occurred.  

Reading between the lines, (I didn't talk to the technician about the 2nd one but did with the first one), it read like it was the same or very similar issue from the warranty repair report? That's just an assumption though.

To me it's more of a manufacturing quality control issue & not so much faulty parts etc. Either way it should be better for an expensive detector but can't fault the service here in Australia with both.

Good news is both are now well used & fingers crossed no further issues. 

• Like 5

Thanks Matt!  😊 Good to know. I know the shaft connections are a bit loose but I can live with that.

I've sold more than most dealers in the US as I also offer 3 Days Field Training, so my Staff/I get to see, hear and handle many customers units.  Thats why I have seen more than most dealers.  It goes that way with all the detector brands and models as when we are in the field for 3 days we hear/see and know a good running unit from a bad one.

Here are the 3 issues, I know of.  1) Dead out of box and not powering up is one issue.  That will be easy to figure out.  2) Detector turning off when set down or bumped.  I think 1 and 2 might have to be with the length of pins on the batteries? 3) Error message on LCD Readout, sometimes coil error.

Here is what I know of so far.  The majority of people are not having issues and love their detectors.  A few of the folks are getting bad units.  The good thing for what I've seen is the bad units are right away or really close to being new.  It's almost as if the majority will be fine and then those select few are bad and you find our pretty fast.

In the US Minelab is offering a 30 day replacement policy so if you do purchase a unit, make sure to get it out in the field and use it a few times.

I probably have 100+ hrs on mine so far and dug 100+ nuggets with no issues.  Of my 5 Field Staff, none of them have had any issues that I am aware of.

Hoping you get a good one as you'll love it.

• Like 7

I've seen a number of people on Facebook with abnormally bad EMI like problems in a way,  just a really unstable detector even reacting really badly to the ground, a few have put videos up of the problem  They get it replaced and the new one is much more stable.  

A few people have had faulty 11" coils too where just replacing the coil solved their issue.  Most of the reprots are on Facebook more so than forums, a larger pool of users.

There seems to be a range of problems, not just one.

• Like 2

I was really fighting with mine in the beginning.  Read a few posts about the external speaker possibly causing some emi type issues? Started using both wired and the supplied wireless phones and the machine settled down considerably.....   It's just a wild sensitive sob but very effective and good at what it can do..... jmo

• Like 4

Out of the box mine was shutting itself off when it was set down or otherwise jogged a bit. After reseating the battery the problem went away and has not come back over maybe 40 hrs of use. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Auto and Auto+ are the only modes that actually change the ‘real’ sensitivity on the GPX6000...

My apologies for going off topic here, but inquiring minds want to know. I don’t doubt what you said here, JP; just wondering what the manual sensitivity settings are actually adjusting? My guess - a filter for smoothing out the threshold, akin to the stabilizer function of the GPX 5000 and the audio smoothing feature of the GPZ 7000.

Back on topic, out of the box GPX 6000 faults I have seen  first hand are the coil error and system error.

• Like 1