Tuning For Conditions?

UT Dave

Big hint. run your threshold and listen to the number of targets under your coil. Out in a field with few targets you can lower your recovery rate and get a little more depth. But the reverse is true, in a trashy park your threshold might be going off like a machine gun. you need to use a high recovery rate and if you do that and drop back the sensitivity to quiet the 800 you then are back down to if you are lucky a 4-5" recovery depth.

I have done just what I described in a very popular park with tons of modern trash. Turn on your threshold and listen. If it going off like a automatic weapon, that is what I call tons of modern trash. Doing this I started finding coins rather easily. 

Don’t really understand the “threshold going off like a machine gun” comment.  The threshold should only react (blank) on targets that have been discriminated out and you certainly have not discriminated out mid-conductors (I.e., aluminum), so please explain further what you mean by this phrase…

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I assume you keep default recovery speeds (5 in park 1 and 6 in park2).  Thanks for the info.  Has your memory given up any more recollection about that video?

cannot find that video. Sorry. but easy to test. take pop tops and pull tabs. put on ground and poptop on top silver dime. in multi swing over target and see if poptop masks the dime. next do the same in 4 khz and you should see a tid for the time, not the poptop or a down averaged number for both.