Well Sad News

I got a gold testing kit and tested the gold chain.  It’s a fake.  Talk about a letdown 😪.

Found this today in the grass at a Park.  I was using my Equinox 800.  This is the best thing that I have ever found metal detecting.  It weighs 43.5 grams and is marked 18K.

L1010160.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Oh my! 4

IMO, get a 'second opinion' before you let go of it.  (Some jewelers will test/check it.  Such cooperation is free advertising -- creating a new potential customer who will tell his friends/acquaintances about how well he was treated.  Or even sell him/her your precious metal finds.)

Nice looking chain, Christmas around the corner..., even if it's a fake it might make a child happy.  Youngsters are less likely to "look a gift horse in the mouth."  (I hope that's still true today.)  I don't mean you should perpetuate the deception.  Young people are more about looking sharp than possessing a valuable.  That's why most of the jewelry I find in school yards is plated (at best).

You've proven you can find gold chains -- one of the toughest targets to discern with a metal detector.  That alone is valuable.

• Like 2

Recheck the chain again in another area, as you may have checked the clasp and they are not always gold.

Then again I have seen the clasp be the only thing gold on some chains.

Take it to a jeweler and have them test also as you may have a bad testing kit

Good luck and happy hunting.