Did Minelab Multi-iq Obsolete Single Frequency?

But wait...the Nox is a single frequency machine all you have to do is push a button.  Mad Men one of my favorite shows the wife and I used to binge watch it late into the evenings... marketing stuff....It's all just talk fellas...Now if Nokta does bring in this new machine at the price point they are saying and it is better then the Nox in build quality..well then that will be something. 

strick

Models get obsoleted all the time, even before Equinox, but, I think we can safely say that the Nox put nails into many coffins. Not all, of course, but, why would anyone buy an AT of any model over an Equinox? Fisher model.....please. Is there one thing an AT or F? can do that a Nox can't do better, or, at least as good? Brand loyalty maybe? Regardless, even if you don't think Minelab has obsoleted any particular single frequency machine, they've sure obsoleted a couple of companies (Tesoro and White's) and put one or two others on life support.

I look forward to revisiting this topic in a few years once the other innovative manufacturers have played catch up and likely discontinued a lot if not all of their single frequency models and promoting their new multi freakers,  for those that like to drive Model T fords Fisher will still be status quo so you'll be able to replace your F75 when it dies of old age with another F75 SE4 Version 2.7 Ultra Remix Super Deep version in camo pink from your local Walmart along with a Bluetooth transmitter so you can feel like you're in the 2000's when you put your headphones on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

Minelab's 'obsolete' statement was marketing genius. Sure it was a bit off-putting to many, but it did exactly what it was intended to do: draw people in.

Well said.. I also thought the use of the word 'obsolete' was a marketing ploy.. But it's also an insult to old-school detectorists, it's like saying they're obsolete as well.. Even though these folk represent just a tiny part of ML's market-share, when they get a bee in their bonnet they'll start hollering.. ML knows this.. Like you said, it's a great way to draw people in.. 

That said, ML could do themselves a huge favour by emphasising the fact that the Nox also has single frequencies.. I don't know why ML seems to gloss over this, I'd make it part of the advertising campaign..   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cudamark said:

why would anyone buy an AT of any model over an Equinox?

S-Shaft design

Use of AA batteries

Wider selection of aftermarket coils

Better waterproofing

Made in America (if that's important to you as a purchaser)

For coin shooting in mild ground (with little trash) and for shallow coins, I don't see an edge that Equinox has over the AT Max.

For coin shooting in a tot lot, the AT Max and Equinox perform the same or are so close to each other, I can't really see a difference.

If the AT Max/Pro were priced appropriately (around the Simplex), then I'd say it's a viable option for many metal detectorists.

• Like 3

That's what I love about this forum. Here we can express our ideas and opinions and have differences of opinions without bashing each other or calling each other names like they do on some other forums. When people discuss ideas openly and respectfully to each other, minds can remain open and listen to each other. Sometimes this can change open minds or we can agree to disagree, and that's okay too. Civility has a home here. It's a rare space... cherish it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

S-Shaft design

Use of AA batteries

Wider selection of aftermarket coils

Better waterproofing

Made in America (if that's important to you as a purchaser)

For coin shooting in mild ground (with little trash) and for shallow coins, I don't see an edge that Equinox has over the AT Max.

For coin shooting in a tot lot, the AT Max and Equinox perform the same or are so close to each other, I can't really see a difference.

If the AT Max/Pro were priced appropriately (around the Simplex), then I'd say it's a viable option for many metal detectorists.

While I think Cuda did come in high and tight with a pretty provocative, matter of fact statement -  for some reason, AT detectors still sell at a rate that enables Garrett to continue making and selling the model.  But if my only choices were AT Max and Apex, I would probably go with Apex easily for the simple fact that you have frequency options.  The only thing holding Apex back is water and true all metal. 

Regarding your specific points: S shaft is only good if you don't have a side view mirror shaped, heavy control box on top of your wrist - I have never heard folks laud the ergonomics of an AT machine (Apex ergonomics are a winner).  The merits and downsides of AA batteries vs. built-in rechargeables can be debated in a thread of its own, I'll give on watertightness even though the AT series has had its share of drownings and even though ML stands behind its warranty, and yes "Made in America" does have sway with some.  After that, it's all woulda/shoulda limiting your detecting versatility box to mild ground/low trash just to show Equinox is only/at least as good and wishing Max was priced commensurate with its detecting value.  But the simple fact is that it is not priced to make it a good value which does make some people scratch their head and wonder how other people can conclude it is the right machine for them given all the other options available.   And that is why someone can reasonably state something along the lines of what Cuda said or surmise people may be making flawed or uninformed buy decisions or putting subjective value on the brand itself or where it was manufactured, because objectively, on paper, it's features and performance do not appear to exceed the Equinox 600 priced ~$100+ cheaper than the Max.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cudamark said:

Is there one thing an AT or F? can do that a Nox can't do better, or, at least as good?

Does operating with concentric coils and/or multiple 3rd party aftermarket coils count?  That's where my F75 comes out of the closet, but only then.  It will be interesting if/when a new (clock start defined by Equinox release) SiMF detector manufacturer makes a concentric coil for their detector.  Given that decades old SiMF detectors could accomodate them it doesn't seem like it should be a physical impossibility in 2021.

Merits of concentric vs. DD is another 'discussion' topic of its own but that isn't my intent.

• Like 3

SMF is nice if you chase numbers all day, good in high trash and mixed grounds but for the most part I still believe the right coil for the job is more important.

Hell I still prefer my single tone analog and depending on grounds I'll use the concentric or dd I have for it. Still sniffing out stuff others miss. Sometimes with all the bells and whistles I get information overlaod and tend to start glossing over stuff. Single beep, isolate your target ranges and listen can be just as effective if not more.

• Like 4