First Gold Basin Trip, Nov30 To Dec2

Dutchman4

After a 6 year break I decided to start metal detecting for nuggets again.

Background:   I used to live in Temecula, CA and used to go to the Dale Mining District as well as the El Paso mountains.  Back then, I started by taking a metal detecting prospecting field trip taught by Michael Greyshock.  I used a Gold Bug Pro with the DP coil at that time and it was pretty tough with the iron stone in the Dale Mining District.  I later purchased a Garret ATX but only used it a few times and sold it for a variety of reasons.  It had great electronics but in a terrible package.  Also the falsing when bumping against anything would drive me nuts.  Anyway after 4 years of prospecting I got tired of digging trash and spending lonely nights in the dessert, so I gave it up.

I retired last year when I turned 60 and my wife and I moved from Scal to Mesquite, NV.  I recently purchased a SDC 2300 and thought I would give it a try again.  I still have the Gold Bug Pro with all 3 coils also.  Gold Basin is about a 3 hour drive and I plan to go there tuesday and return on thursday.  I use "Backcountry Navigator" on my tablet for maps and gps navigation.  I looked up the currently active claims on "thediggings.com" website and see they are pretty much clustered in the middle of the basin area.  It would be handy to have a gpx or kmz overlay map file of the active claims that I could load on my tablet but I don't know if something like that exists.  I prefer to detect on BLM land instead of claims and I don't mind getting remote and hiking.  This will be my first trip to GB and any pointers or advice would be appreciated.  I drive a brown 2010 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4 long bed, with a color matched camper shell and NV plates,  in case any of you are in GB on the same days and would like to say Hi.

Regards,  Ceril      

• Like 8

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you are swinging again, I  am sure that someone will have the overlay link for you.

I am a newbie at metal detecting, but have panned and sluiced for several years, and one of these days also want to get out there.

Good luck and happy hunting.

You may also want to check the Database for what you are looking for as it is filled with many things like that.

There is no overlay and the BLMs MLRS will only get you to 1/4 section.  After that you will have to do your own research and pull claim maps from the county.  To avoid pulling them all, there are 640 acres in a section and 160 acres in a 1/4 section.  So when looking at the BLM site you can see if all the claims in that 1/4 add up to 160.  If not there might be a place to detect, personally join a few of the clubs in the area and learn the ropes……..or you could claim jump.

• Like 4

The last two posts are spot on. Mine Cache is good for displaying general claim locations and counting the claims in each quarter section is the only way I've found of looking for potential unclaimed land. It can shorten your search time in the county records. Mine Cache is updated monthly.

GPAA has two? claims in GB. Don't know about other clubs.

Land Matters is not up to date on it's mining claim mapping. There have been no updates since April 1, 2021. Those maps are being updated now and will be brought up to date a little later this month.

The Diggings is not up to date. There have been no updates since January 22, 2021.

Mine Cache is not up to date. They state their last update was July 2020.

The MLRS is not accurate currently. Many mining claims have been closed inadvertently(?) this year and the BLM has a ways to go before those errors are corrected. Be very cautious with BLM claims information now. Check the serial register page for each recently closed claim (since January of this year) many of them will be changed back to ACTIVE status in the next few months.

None of these mapping systems show the claim's actual boundaries. Most claimants are only required to locate their claims to the nearest 1/4 section with the BLM. Follow afreakofnature's advice to ALWAYS check the claim locations and claim amendments at the County Recorder. Also it's imperative that you discover the land ownership/management and any closures or restrictions before you put boots on the ground. Just because someone located a claim somewhere does not mean the land is open to location. When I am researching an area my first step is always to check the land status first. There is no sense in pulling location documents if the area can't be prospected or claimed.

Good luck on your adventure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SDC-2300 is a fine PI detector to compliment your GB-Pro.  I've done well with both detectors but I don't hunt AZ that often so I am not much use there.  The SDC-2300 is a very fine unit but I recommend you purchase a swing arm as the balance of it is off.  Also, if possible try to keep the GAIN at least in the green Start Up and preferably 1 above.  I personally always run a threshold.  Keep us informed of your progress.

• Like 2