Coil Choice For Compact Detector To Search Inside Structures

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Most people are likely getting tired of this topic already, and that assumes those who were even interested in the first place.  🙄

I'm reminded of something a mentor (not detector related) told me long ago:  Ugly/sloppy workmanship doesn't necessarily mean poorer performance, but those who take enough pride in their work to make things look nice tend to build better performing / more reliable devices.

So how does this apply here?  The question is, will the better looking, compact, easy to use Tesoro solution pay off in its ability to squeeze into tight places?  Peripherally, will I be more likely to make maximum use of the Tesoro because of its appearance?  Maybe.

I'm going to wait about half a day or so longer to see if anyone has something further to add before I go with my current leaning of just ordering the NEL Snake / CORS Shrew.  So far no one has taken on the concentric vs. DD question.  Basically, my thought is that you can move a concentric in any direction (left-right, forward backward) and get the same response whereas a DD coil has an azimuthal dependence because of its internal assymetry.  There are ways around this (just rotate the entire unit 90 degrees, or remount the shaft 90 degrees from standard orientation and rescan) but those aren't quite as easy/quick as just changing the sweep motion.

BTW, in playing around with the Tesoro Vaquero I discovered (something I'm sure many here already know) that the shafts of my White's TDI are compatible with the Tesoro Vaquero.  I don't know how many other models of those two companies this holds for, but I suspect quite a few.  So I can shorten the Vaquero shaft permanently but if I ever want to use that detector in its standard configuration then I'll just plug in the White's TDI lower shaft (of which I have a spare).

I agree that using the Micromax (uMax) form factor from the Tesoro Vaquero does look sharp...😎

15 hours ago, kac said:

Modiy an old Outlaw, it has non motion option as well as motion.

Hmmm.  Are you trying to throw a monkey wrench into my gears, kac??  😄       

Is the Outlaw the only Tesoro with both non-motion all-metal (or non-motion pinpoint) and motion discrimination?  I've seen these on Ebay but they seem to go for more than I'm willing to invest in this specialty application.  Bonus is that they accomodate the Epsilon (5 pin) coil family which includes the 4" concentric.

• Like 1

When it comes to making a handheld discriminating metal detector, the Outlaw was probably my first choice. Heck, of all the Tesoros out there, the Outlaw would be my first choice. But after seeing what they go for on ebay, I felt it wasn't worth the cost.

• Like 2

Now guys if you really want to go cheap for hunting on the inside of old houses and it works great.

Drum roll please!

You can get this from Harbor Freight for about 36 dollars. For running it across beams works great.

Remember you heard it right here on Steve’s H. forum.

Chuck 

85A446E4-CA48-4A88-8B19-86613A49EB6F.jpeg

• Like 3

Security wand isnt a bad idea at all either. They just don't have discrimination. I thought of non motion discriminator would be ideal since you may have limited motion. Thinking nails would be the main reason for discrim.

Not sure what other Tesoro models had non motion.

• Like 2

To show you just what you could find laying on a beam then leaned me your ear . In a not so big town in the early 60’s I took my dry cleaning to this guy I knew. Well he had a cellar and he would lay a key on one of the beams for whatever he keep locked down there. One day he goes down and like always he was feeling around for that key on top of that beam and in doing so here is something round. He never said how many gold coins he found are what they were but it was more than one. He had that business there for years and just because that key wasn’t in the same spot he always put it he found a treasure.

Chuck 

• Like 1