My Creative Detecting / Overlanding Rig

14 hours ago, lostcoast said:

I've been trying to find an old Jeep or Toyota out here as an offroad rig for prospecting, rockhounding, camping, and whatnot. Hardly anything that's not 250k+ miles, a wreck, or $$$.

keep looking.  I wouldn't hesitate buying a 4runner with 250K miles.  They are super easy to work on when needed.

6 hours ago, Swegin said:

keep looking.  I wouldn't hesitate buying a 4runner with 250K miles.  They are super easy to work on when needed.

I've owned a 22R pickup. Replaced just about everything under the hood short of a rebuild or head work. The head gasket blew at 220k, and I was about to move so I passed it on.

While I am somewhat handy with a wrench, I currently don't have a place to work on vehicles except in the street. These days I just want something that runs with minimal hassle. I think I'd like a touch more power, so the XJ series with the 4.0 sounds interesting to me.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:58 PM, Goldseeker5000 said:

Hey GotAU, I see it is a 12v. I only have one 12v outlet on my Jackery which is used for the Iceco fridge/freezer. It has to run 24-7. I do have three AC outlets and 3-4 USB outlets. I like the idea. Can you post pics of your setup?

Reese- sorry about those pics, just saw this!  I will get them when its light out and post them for you here tomorrow.  Stay warm in the meantime! 😉

Hawkeye, I found all ten nuggets with the 6000. Tomorrow I am detecting on ground that was part of the King Tut Placer mine.

• Like 1

Got five nuggets today but I gave 2 nuggets to my buddy for the right to hunt on his ground. I ended up with 1.3 g

IMG_20211208_114617872.jpg

IMG_20211208_114503134_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211208_132225177.jpg

IMG_20211208_140658704_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211208_140723710_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211208_155231911.jpg

IMG_20211208_114527704_HDR.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gs5000, Last week went detecting with a friend who wears a similar rig to you in warm weather ( Page2), in his case, Cap, Sunglasses,T shirt, shorts, boots plus gloves and a 6000.

I am wary of snakes when detecting, this area was uneven ground(hills/gullies)  with low scrub and trees.

Me, Cap with lower wrap around sun shield material that Velcros under my nose with Sunglasses (you cannot see my face), Long sleeve shirt, gloves, jeans, gaiters and boots and a 7000 and Harness.( would probably give a young child a fright if they saw me detecting)

He, a lot more experienced bushman than myself.

Me, Have a sun cancer check every 6 months with burn offs.

And the days effort, Lead shot of various sizes and rubbish.

All the best out there.

• Like 1

Glad to see you swinging totally functional GPX-6000 and finding gold.  Plus you are in nice warm weather.  Nice pics of your success.  I too enjoy hunting around bedrock cracks.  Keep it up.

• Like 1