XP Deus II Manual Is Available Now

Glenn in CO

I have just read the manual , I am very impressed by the documentation quality and the Deus2 features . Very professional

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Really well done manual, truly. I really like what I’m seeing. I can’t help but think this is what Whites could have done with the V3i if they simply would have had the vision to see the future. I’m happier than ever now I have one on order, as this looks like one sweet detector for detector nerds like me, though maybe too setting heavy for some, but that’s what presets are for, right? :smile:

I’m surprised though that the main hunt screen only got a couple small pics, as if that’s not the screen we will be looking at 99% of the time. Interesting touch, light numbers in dark background. I like it, should do well in low light conditions. And target id number is ok, could have been bigger really, but acceptable I guess. Did we really need T.ID displayed instead of just a bigger number? I think not.

Now, before anyone says the target id has never been a big thing with Deus, just hunt by ear, stick that controller in your pocket…. I’d agree in general, and with Deus 1 in particular. A big criticism of the original Deus is the inability to hunt well in modern trash, and single frequency target id inaccuracy in bad ground. Hopefully, and in matter of fact it better prove, that target id accuracy has improved with Deus 2 and the addition of multi. Because if not, well then it will have failed as a multi implementation. Better target id is a major promise of multi for those not focused on the beach. So I do think making the target id more front and center on the screen would have been nice. That’s what we will glance at constantly if we glance at anything at all, not the other stuff.

But seriously, that’s just me picking a minor nit. The machine looks really great, just raised the bar for whatever Minelab is working on to follow Equinox.

Now just give me that 6x10 coil, and there might be a new XP fanboy hanging around! :biggrin:

Hi,

I saw a slight change (or simple error in the instructions?) Between the Deus 1 and the Deus 2.

The aluminum and the little gold are no longer in the same place on the ID.

Multi effect?

2.JPG

1.JPG

I noticed that too and was wondering how small the gold jewelry could go before it's in the foil range.

It’s just a picture - gold and aluminum ranges overlap, period. It just depends how you want to draw the lines in size/mass. If the aluminum is like gum wrapper foil, and the jewelry has more mass, sure it reads different. But there is white gold that will read like the gum wrapper, and larger aluminum that will read like the small gold jewelry.

This comes up with every new detector, but it’s simple physics folks, and no detector based on current tech will change that.

• Like 5

I will amend that to say that for almost every non-ferrous target id number, there is a piece of aluminum. Detectors know nothing about metal. The tiniest aluminum bits read down into the ferrous range, and a coke can will read like a quarter. The disc scale is mostly just an odds game based on certain identical targets always reading about the same, like a dime for instance. It can work for U.S. coin detectorists. But if you detect UK farm fields, you simply dig all non-ferrous, as even small thin or cut silver coins read way lower than people would ever think who have not seen it. The target id systems are really more affected by size than anything else, low numbers being small stuff, and higher numbers being larger stuff.

• Like 4

Guest calabash digger

U.S Silver Trimes read low. I know a few coin shooters who have been coin shooting for years and have never dug one because they come in so low.

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I will amend that to say that for almost every non-ferrous target id number, there is a piece of aluminum. Detectors know nothing about metal. The tiniest aluminum bits read down into the ferrous range, and a coke can will read like a quarter.

The use of the word 'almost' left me wondering where the gap might be.  I've wondered how high aluminum could read so decided to do some air tests with the following Al alloy targets:

large-Al_test-targets.thumb.JPG.2bde63c01a6775bc5a980b1f828c2a0c.JPG

I'm using the Minelab Equinox dTID scale (-9 through 40 where negative numbers represent the ferrous range).  Steve H. mentioned USA clad quarter coin being equivalent (dTID) to a soft drink can.  That hits ~30 on this scale.  Even large USA 90% silver coins aren't much higher with silver dollar (last for circulation minted in 1935) hitting around 34-35. 

In the photo, lower right is a standard(?) USA license plate (12" length, thickness 0.8 mm or about 1/32 inch), upper left is a rather thick cast aluminum engine part, I think from a sprint car (powerful short oval track racecar).  The other three items are all of nominal 1/16" (~1.5 mm) thickness.  None of these was found with a metal detector, BTW.

I used the 11" stock coil in Park 1 mode and turned down the gain to 15 (out of 25 max).  I held the coil far enough from the target so that the coil's central transmit E/M field was activating the target (i.e. not the localized high field region around the coil's outer rim).

The two lower items gave TID's of ~37.  The three upper targets all read solid 40 (max for the Eqx).

• Like 1

I almost always say almost, just to cover my posterior :smile:

Great confirmation post Chuck, thanks. I guess we can say that there is a piece of aluminum that will deliver every target id possible, with the exception of low ferrous/ground readings. And small aluminum buried in high magnetite soil will even deliver a few of those. The same applies to most metal, it’s more about the size, not any metal reading in one place on the scale.

When nugget detecting, a major strategy for dealing with junk targets is to have some prior knowledge of the gold size and type an area historically produces. If it’s small gold only, digging high target id numbers is likely to be anything but a nugget. So basically you just seek out and dig small target indications. Conversely, while in the UK, I set my Equinox target id to block the low end purely to eliminate the really small targets, after a couple days of sampling what those might be.

• Like 1

There is bone shortening surgery, if I was too tall for my GPZ I'd consider it.

• The title was changed to XP Deus II Manual Is Available Now