Way cool 300+ year old coin, F350P!  17th Century -- did you blow past the 18th Century?

Private permissions seem to be hit-or-miss (mostly miss) when it comes to quantity, but hopefully make up for that in quality.  Quantity really comes down to number of human-hours a site was frequented.  But old sites with fewer human-hours can have those occasional wow! moments and your Spanish Colonial early silver proved that.  You'll never forget this one!

• Like 6

Great pictures.  Congratulations on the peruvian real cob, it looks like you found a spot with hundreds of years of history.  Good luck and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Way cool 300+ year old coin, F350P!  17th Century -- did you blow past the 18th Century?

Private permissions seem to be hit-or-miss (mostly miss) when it comes to quantity, but hopefully make up for that in quality.  Quantity really comes down to number of human-hours a site was frequented.  But old sites with fewer human-hours can have those occasional wow! moments and your Spanish Colonial early silver proved that.  You'll never forget this one!

I was just enjoying the day hosting my mentor and his mentor. I was really humbled by this find, I was feeding the kitten water and some roast beef "Deb" had and hoping they'd find cool stuff. I was totally impressed by her knowledge of land and history. Very fascinating and informative visit. She has a tough time getting around and I admire her steadfastness and the Deus she was swinging. 😀 Maybe it was divine intervention... 🤔 😅

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Great pictures.  Congratulations on the peruvian real cob, it looks like you found a spot with hundreds of years of history.  Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Thank you! The farmer and his family are probably the nicest and most generous people I have ever met. I sort of offered him the coin, he told me to keep it and enjoy. I am one lucky noob. 😀

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I was just enjoying the day hosting my mentor and his mentor.

I guess that makes you a 3rd generation detectorist.  Cherish those experiences -- they are educational, but so much more.

• Like 3

Well done.  You shared a bit of the Farmer's Land history with him which will mean a great deal.  If it can be put together with some 'details' with a local historian it could be that much more interesting.

When I was growing up in Florida we lived on an old Timucuan Indian site.  There were many artifacts found there in the 1950's and before.  It was in a 'trade area' on a river and I wish we could have used a metal detector on that land before it was developed.

Some of the artifacts were so 'interesting' they needed to be donated to a museum for other historians to see and understand.  Now I think you could make a digital gift to the locals if you post that coin picture on a good website.

Mitchel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great finds from you and Chase to share with us.

I believe that the item you thought was for a cannon is actually a single plow like our next door neighbor had.

Good luck and pound that area hard to bring back the history.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds from you and Chase to share with us.

I believe that the item you thought was for a cannon is actually a single plow like our next door neighbor had.

Good luck and pound that area hard to bring back the history.

That's what I thought at first as well, but the top of the carriage has blocks with a rounded scoop out and a strap, leading me to think they are light gun carriages or possibly a "quick detach" for a wagon or buckboard of some sort. I didn't see a plow blade. 🙂

• Like 2