36 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

Very, very cool hunt, all around!

- Dave

Thank you! Luckily it's still getting warm here now and again. We've had a bit of drought for a while which is turning some ground hard like concrete. This hunt was mostly in a bean field that was tilled, it was easy to dig in the sandy clay.

I don't mind hunting alone, but it's great to have people visit. The high spirits, conversation, and mentoring are a blast.

I have permission to well over 1,000 acres of farmland and many farmhouse sites now, there's no way I can hunt it all by myself even if I do this daily for the rest of my life, and I have only scratched the surface! The area I live in was settled in the 1600s so this stuff is out there, much of the history is obscure or lost but we get as much as we can by talking to the owners. It is important to listen to them, as they actively think of places you can go. 

What is well known is heavily protected. Private lands surround some of the older historic areas, so we get a shot at it. Some of it is right in my yard, that's what got me going.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

What a great looking site!   Congrats on the Spanish silver!   Do you mind if I ask what state you’re in?

Thanks!

If the "NC" in your screen name means North Carolina, I'm North of ya. VA.

The site pictured is a short drive from the one the Cob came from.

• Thanks 1

That is so awesome! It looks like you and Chase had a fun time and you both found some good stuff. But that Reale, wow, way to go! Congrats!

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

there's no way I can hunt it all by myself even if I do this daily for the rest of my life, and I have only scratched the surface!

More leads to more ... do it the English way except ... too many cooks spoil the sauce.

English permissions for Roman artifacts are more organized.  The property owners sometimes want extra people sharing in the hunt so it can all be searched.  Just so long as they don't make a complete mess of the UK farm and go back and steal I guess it works out.  A group of detectorists can find an activity area and it helps everyone.  THEN you tell everyone to stay out.  That is always the potential end to a good permission.

• Like 1

Nice job on the cob!  Don't see too many cobs being dug anywhere in the U.S., but a few have been found out west. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That is so awesome! It looks like you and Chase had a fun time and you both found some good stuff. But that Reale, wow, way to go! Congrats!

Thanks Cap'n. I never thought I'd find a cob, but some famous "Boys" not too far north of me find them now and again too, that's how I knew what it was.

If I never find a gold coin, this is about as good as it can get. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

More leads to more ... do it the English way except ... too many cooks spoil the sauce.

English permissions for Roman artifacts are more organized.  The property owners sometimes want extra people sharing in the hunt so it can all be searched.  Just so long as they don't make a complete mess of the UK farm and go back and steal I guess it works out.  A group of detectorists can find an activity area and it helps everyone.  THEN you tell everyone to stay out.  That is always the potential end to a good permission.

These farmers are really nice people. Can't say it enough. The person that talked to us yesterday told me he gets a kick out of what we find, but he hasn't got the time ever to do it himself. They also allow other types of hunters on their lands, so I have to be careful to not get in anyone's way. There is a lot to lose! They have not, to my knowledge, allowed anyone else but me to do this.

• Like 3