1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice job on the cob!  Don't see too many cobs being dug anywhere in the U.S., but a few have been found out west. 

Thank you! After a discussion of the area with the owner, Chase and I are hoping this isn't the last big find there. There is a lot of ground to cover. We didn't have time. I have found cut pistareens and half Reales in the fields in front of my house, but this place pre-dates that. It's amusing that the first time we were there we didn't find much at all.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

That's what I thought at first as well, but the top of the carriage has blocks with a rounded scoop out

After looking at the second picture a little closer I can see more detail and believe that you are correct.

So my apologizes and it is very cool no matter which way it goes.

I also like the wagon wheel against the old barn, what craftsmanship back then so that what they made would last a long time.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

After looking at the second picture a little closer I can see more detail and believe that you are correct.

So my apologizes and it is very cool no matter which way it goes.

I also like the wagon wheel against the old barn, what craftsmanship back then so that what they made would last a long time.

Good luck on your next hunt.

No need to apologize VL, 🙂 I welcome comments, questions, advice and abuse 🤣 your thought was my first exactly.

I'm glad thread was poor quality so we can find so many buttons. Shoe, knee, and other buckles could have been better 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Plat & Chase :  Good play-by-play.  Good pix.   Thanx for bringing us along.

Thanks Tom, I'm pretty sure the advice I got from our guest helped.

Talking to the farmers is important too, much of the history here is lost to various county fires, and the aerials only go back to 1967.  He talked until sunset so we have to go back. If you're impatient with them you're toast.

They don't call this area of the country "History Land" for nothing, but you have to get your coil in the right place.

Just sad it was only a 1690 "P". 😀

• Like 1

Thats a needle in the hay stack find! Nice work 350....theres more out there and it dont come easy as there have been people detecting for relics for what 40 years now? Once in a while you get lucky and find a virgin spot but thats few and far between.. keep on swinging for that next home run.

strick

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, strick said:

Thats a needle in the hay stack find! Nice work 350....theres more out there and it dont come easy as there have been people detecting for relics for what 40 years now? Once in a while you get lucky and find a virgin spot but thats few and far between.. keep on swinging for that next home run.

strick

Thanks! This spot is pretty virgin, it's the farmers' front yard field. They come and go all day and would throw a stranger out. He came by and told us that they find clay pipe pieces and arrowheads every time they turn it, I haven't seen any of that but nobody got the metal! This was one of those spur of the moment "I think I'll go look there" things. I've found some pretty good stuff doing that, other times nothing. I'm slowly learning to read the land.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, F350Platinum said:

Thank you! After a discussion of the area with the owner, Chase and I are hoping this isn't the last big find there. There is a lot of ground to cover. We didn't have time. I have found cut pistareens and half Reales in the fields in front of my house, but this place pre-dates that.

I could probably count on one hand the number of cobs that I know of dug in California, but every so often one surfaces at a demo or old Spanish era site.  You guys have some great OLD sites, love seeing the finds from them!!

It's amusing that the first time we were there we didn't find much at all.

I've experienced this before too, several times.  Makes a good case for double checking a perceived dud with a different detector, coil or something to see if it was just an off day. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice permission and hunt. Hmmmm, maybe I ought to offer to bush whack and mow some sites like that in exchange for a permissions. Sounds like a good way to get a permission.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

Nice permission and hunt. Hmmmm, maybe I ought to offer to bush whack and mow some sites like that in exchange for a permissions. Sounds like a good way to get a permission.

It's certainly a great way to keep one, but you do have to mow with the farmer in mind. Also you have to go over it first to make sure you've removed all the junk that will blow your mower up, one place had old wagon axles hidden in the high grass...