Dug One Coin Today.... Turned Out To Be..

Guest Tnsharpshooter

This interests me as a novice, I've only been detecting for a year. 🤔

What do you think led to the discovery? I have some places I believe I have already hammered to death. But what do I know?

Did you do something new, change a setting, use a new detector or coil?

Guest Tnsharpshooter
7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

This interests me as a novice, I've only been detecting for a year. 🤔

What do you think led to the discovery? I have some places I believe I have already hammered to death. But what do I know?

Did you do something new, change a setting, use a new detector or coil?

Wish I would have left buried.  And fiddled with some other detectors over the target.  Too late now.  Used different detector.  Don’t ask me which one.  Cause I can’t say. 

8 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Wish I would have left buried.  And fiddled with some other detectors over the target.  Too late now.  Used different detector.  Don’t ask me which one.  Cause I can’t say. 

I've wished many times that I only did one thing at a time so I knew what I did that solved the problem, but that wouldn't get me where I want to be most times 😀

No problem, I get what you're inferring. 👍 Good luck and HH

11 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Wish I would have left buried.  And fiddled with some other detectors over the target.  Too late now.  Used different detector.  Don’t ask me which one.  Cause I can’t say.  (Emphasis mine.)

I have two guesses.  Do I need more than that?

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Dug One Coin Today.... Turned Out To Be..

I tune out whenever I read, “found good stuff in hunted out ground with new detector”   Oh so you just happened to be using X detector that day when you covered that bit of ground, right.  It's one of those marketing lines created by the users instead of the manufacturers and remarkably it's used almost everyday by someone using their new detector, it's almost the default statement when someone finds something with their new detector it's got that prevalent 🙂

I once shocked myself when my Garrett Ace 350 found a silver coin in my front yard, I'd been using that front yard small patch of grass for testing and messing around with detectors since I first got one, with my little test targets buried there.  The grass has various nails buried all over the place from the roof being redone at some point and I'd only ever found a couple of old coins on the front yard previously with detectors while mucking around testing them out but nothing in a long time, every inch of that little area of grass had been detected by many detectors then one day the Ace had a target, a nice solid notch in the silver range so I dug it expecting the Ace to be falsing on a nail or something and out comes a very deep silver coin.    It did the impossible in my mind but really changed my way of thinking about detected out ground, you just never know what variables caused you to find a something that you've missed in the past, and I am guessing a lot of the time it's not so much the detector used.

• Like 4

For sure, detecting skills are the most important, but, the right equipment for the job at hand is also very important. Same goes with matching the equipment with the venue. With the newest "turn-on-and-go" SMF detectors with excellent standard default modes, it isn't quite as important to know how every adjustment works and how to tweak it to the max. Choice of the proper detector is critical however. Using your analogies of fishing, your not going to catch a marlin with a fly rod meant for a trout stream. You're also not going to hit a 250 yard drive with a putter either. I'd bet on a novice with an Equinox over a pro with a CZ5 when it comes to surf hunting. I'd also bet on the novice with a GPX6000 over you hunting with an Ace 150 looking for tiny nuggets......no offense! 😄 If course, I've lost bets before!

• Like 3

The plain, simple explanation and wisdom said above by Steve wraps up successful detecting as well as I’ve ever heard. Now if I can practice this I’ll be much better at the sport. 

Mike

• Like 3