Dug One Coin Today.... Turned Out To Be..

Guest Tnsharpshooter

1 hour ago, cudamark said:

For sure, detecting skills are the most important, but, the right equipment for the job at hand is also very important. Same goes with matching the equipment with the venue. With the newest "turn-on-and-go" SMF detectors with excellent standard default modes, it isn't quite as important to know how every adjustment works and how to tweak it to the max. Choice of the proper detector is critical however. Using your analogies of fishing, your not going to catch a marlin with a fly rod meant for a trout stream. You're also not going to hit a 250 yard drive with a putter either. I'd bet on a novice with an Equinox over a pro with a CZ5 when it comes to surf hunting. I'd also bet on the novice with a GPX6000 over you hunting with an Ace 150 looking for tiny nuggets......no offense! 😄 If course, I've lost bets before!

Having skill means knowing what detectors and coils to use - another area where novices fail miserably. I'm not discounting the hardware - the best operators in any sport always use any hardware that will give them the the best edge. Tiger Woods does not use crappy clubs, and knows which one to use  for any given shot. Knowing which is which is part of the skill involved.

And if you don't think a pro with a poorer detector can't run circles around a novice with the best, you've not detected with very many novices. I've seen real life examples many times, especially in nugget detecting. :smile:

• Like 4

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I just stated what happened.  I didn’t infer one detector alerted on the coin with grand ID and other model(s) didn’t.  Like I said.  No actual head to head done using others detectors.  I’ll take the silver dime though.  Some folks might have thought I quit detecting when watching some videos I have done during last few months. Exciting times ahead I think.

It is true that in certain situations and on a certain terrain, a detector may have an edge over other detectors ... usually you will find out when you detect the same place with different detectors, or you regularly detect the same terrain with colleagues who use a different detector.

If you regularly achieve better detection results many times compared to colleagues with other detectors .. we can also attribute these results to the quality of the detector you use ...

However, the experience of the same detector can also play an important role ... with the use of a given detector ... this is also an important element in detection.

The most interesting evaluation element is the phenomenon of the so-called "clean terrain", even after many hours of detection, you can no longer detect any good expected targets ... and colleagues also have zero results -  then it can be assumed, that some ... technologically new can pull some good targets out of such terrain ..

• Like 3

You just inadvertently started an interesting line of conversation and I'm sure we are going to see many "I found this in flogged ground" statements coming over the next few months, it happens with every new detector release.

It wasn't so much about what you said, but more about what to expect in the near future 🙂

• Like 3

There's a parallel train of thought/experience, and that occurs when you use the same detector with different settings (and/or different coils).  I've 'proved' to myself in both directions.  I've found keeper coins, easily discernable, with the same detector, coil, and settings in previously hunted (by me) areas.  In those cases I've concluded that it wasn't the detector but rather I, having not gotten the coil over the good target previously.  But the second situation is the flipside.  I've gotten a good signal (or at least a signal good enough to investigate) in one search mode that another mode just doesn't pick up.  And in this case I was detecting in ground that I'm pretty sure had seen not only other detectorists, but more importantly detectorists who knew what they were doing.  My conclusion in that case was that the settings of the detector eaked out the good find (silver quarter on edge at 6"-7", possibly and even likely with iron nails/wire close by) rather than no one previously getting a coil over that difficult target.

I had a coin the other day that was such a terrible iffy ID, way lower than it should be and I was investigating it with various sweeps and I lifted the front end of the coil and kept the back end of the coil to the ground on a tilt, I kept sweeping over the target and circled it and all the sudden I was able to get a virtually solid ID on it, it ended up being a NZ $2 coin but I was quite surprised how tilting the coil cleared up the target ID because I guess the coin was on edge and the angle of my tilt lined up better with it to improve the ID.  Something as simple as having the coil on a slight tilt while covering some ground may find stuff dismissed before.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Having skill means knowing what detectors and coils to use - another area where novices fail miserably. I'm not discounting the hardware - the best operators in any sport always use any hardware that will give them the the best edge. Tiger Woods does not use crappy clubs, and knows which one to use  for any given shot. Knowing which is which is part of the skill involved.

And if you don't think a pro with a poorer detector can't run circles around a novice with the best, you've not detected with very many novices. I've seen real life examples many times, especially in nugget detecting. :smile:

That will depend on how much "poorer" the detector is, and if it's one suited to the task at hand. If you're going head to head with a rookie with a GPX6000 and you have an old Gold Bug, sure, you'll beat them every time.....for a while anyway....till they learn the machine and get some of their own experience. 

• Like 3

Glad this brought out some great advice and comments to cherry pick. 👍I do have some areas around me that I have grid searched with at least two detectors from every possible angle. Changed the coil on the Equinox (10x5) and hit one of them again at random. I found nothing but the nails and can slaw I skipped the other times "digging it all". I am a novice, but I do get out more than on the weekends, sometimes as many as 5 days a week over the past year. Even when I take a break and go camping I bring a detector with me and bash it out. So far no one has refused to let me detect, and I've learned a lot in all these different environments. 😀 I have no idea when I will become "not a novice", but that day will come. 

I fully understand that gear is not the complete answer, I was a Pro photographer for a few years and knew I could get as good a photo with a $100 digital camera as I could with a $2,000 Nikon and lens. I had both. When Photoshop emerged it became even easier to turn trash to treasure. I can't Photoshop finds 😀

I'd be glad to invite anyone that can show me I'm wrong about the areas I mentioned, it was in that spirit I made the inquiry. I'd like to find more in one spot in particular but have not as yet.

I was simply curious to see if something stood out. I agree that is a novice question, but context is everything. Thanks everyone! I'll now return you to TN Sharpshooter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This is a rare sport where we give the credit to the tools instead of the players.

Another such sport is shooting. Too many people think the key to winning matches is having the latest/greatest sub-MOA rifle and all the other hi-priced gear that goes with it. The more they suck, the more they buy.

My hi-power sensei told me, “Grasshopper, until you can put all your shots somewhere in the black, don’t spend money on better stuff.” 

He was right. Not only does learning to wring the best performance out of average gear sharpen your skills, but it takes the pressure off. The noob who shows up at a match with multi-$K of new gear is more likely to be frustrated and quit after a bad score. The noob who is using basic gear is more likely to keep trying.

• Like 3

I'll go a bit more off topic -- actual building and mechanical tools.  I was told by a friend who was born and grew up in Germany that apprentices there had to prove they could excel with hand tools (like files) before they were allowed to advance to power tools.  My mom's father and brothers were all home builders and one of her brothers took me under his wing, teaching me the trade.  He used hand tools when appropriate and only used power tools when those offered a significant edge (particularly time saving).  The other day I made some wheel chocks from a 2x4.  Seven cuts all made with an 8-point crosscut Disston D23, inherited from my uncle.  (His name is stamped in the handle and etched on the blade.  Maybe one from his days in high school shop class?)  There's something about sound and feel of a hand saw slicing through wood that no power saw can match.

• Like 2