Vanquish Automatic Noise Cancel On Startup And Sensitivity

mcjtom

On startup, the detector performs ‘Automatic Noise Cancel’, which I imagine shifts the frequencies mixture in order to try to minimize some types of EMI noise.  Does it matter what the Sensitivity is set to when this procedure is invoked?  e.g. if Sensitivity is low enough for the detector not to see the EMI in some channels, would the Automatic Noise Cancel also not see noise in those channels and potentially choose them as being OK, or would the procedure ignore the Sensitivity setting altogether?

Also, would the different Vanquish ‘modes’ require different Automatic Noise Cancel calibrations? My understanding is that they differ in recovery times, not channel weighing like in the Equinox.

It's safe to assume that it's going to examine a more 'raw' version of the signal coming from the coil, and any sensitivity, discrimination, notching, volume, or hyperchromatic birefringency settings you have in place will be ignored.

Please show us some old coins and ancient Thai relics.

I found with my Minelab GPX having the gain on maximum with the noise cancel helps, so I just do it with every detector.  I figure the more EMI the detector sees the best chance it has of moving away from it so on my Vanquish and Equinox I always have my gain on maximum for the noise cancel process.  Not sure if it helps, but it can't hurt at the same time.

• Like 2

Thanks!  But, now I'm properly confused by this article: 

www.minelab.com/asia/community/treasure-talk/four-tips-to-help-your-detector-auto-tune-or-noise-cancel

I'm not sure how to read it, but it seems to suggest that both the sensitivity and the signal sampling resolution affect Auto Noise Cancel (so the signal may not be that raw)...  The advise is to enhance the noise (I would think higher Sensitivity and faster Recovery Speed on VLF) before running the Auto Noise and than go back to proper settings - at least that’s what I understood.

p.s. Lots of Thai coins, artifacts, and gold, as soon as I figure out how to turn it on...  Promise! 🙂

Is there a way to field test it somehow - does the Auto Noise use ‘raw’ signal or the one modified by some user’s settings?  I can’t hear much difference, but that doesn’t mean there is none…

You'll never get to understand how it works, just follow the theory of higher gain gives more chance of tuning out EMI as it is affected by more EMI and you should be fine, it's what that article alludes to also.

I've been doing highest sensitivity noise cancel on my VLF's and I think it does a good job.

22 minutes ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Maybe the machine defaults to max sens during the noise cancellation,,,,,,IDK.

If it doesn't it should, good idea!

• Like 1