Getting Ready For The Bush

During these cold months I find a lot of time is wasted and the boredom starts to kick In, So this winter I have set my self a Goal to get ready for the summer and sorting my camping gear out, As some of you know my lock up got raided by the people from the planet DORK and I have started to replace my some of the gear stolen,

Anyways first up is I have had to replace my fridge So I just bought a new 4X4 ARB 47 litre / 50 Quarts fridge / freezer, and I am over the moon about that because my last one was just a fridge which means that I can now go off for weeks at a time, and as soon as it got here and I saw the Quality of the ARB I got straight on the phone and ordered  the 78 litre version so I can use the 47L as a freezer and use the 78L as a fridge, The 47L uses about 0.87 Amps per hour which is pretty good I think and under adverse conditions it uses about 403 watts per 24 hour period which is about 33.58 Amps or equal to 1.399 Amps per hour so with those type of figures I think I can manage with that, I will be running about 3 or 4 180 Amp batteries and I might add a small wind generator to help the 300 watts of solar panels and I am going to add a 1000 watt generator with a 5 Amp built in charger as a back up plan,

Anyways, If you want a really Great fridge/freezer set up for your truck or your retreat I highly recommend  the ARB 47L to go with your cooler if you are wanting to keep Quality food with you on your prospecting Ventures, because these things can take a beating because they were design In Australia to take everything The Aussie Bush and 4 wheel driving can throw at them and live to tell the tail.

Happy Hunting,, John.

http://www.arb.com.au/products/fridges-camping-accessories/arb-fridge-freezers/  

Oh forgive me I forgot to mention the price, I got a heck of a good deal on this freezer at £565.00 or $803.93 USD at the current exchange rate

• Like 5

I have also seen them for $1079.98 USD or £759.00 so I can't complain and it was free next day delivery and the place I bought it  they are really great people, I have the protective cover coming for it along with some off road gear as well, I am also thinking about buying that Digital radio controlled monitor for it too.

john. 

• Like 1

my brother has had one for awhile, well made and usefull when camping.

• Like 1

Got a little Waco eske in my rig.  Old but works well enough to keep things cool. Hehh at least till it eats the deep cycle.  Be nice if I had the room for a unit like your showing. My Australian mate lost 2 eskes last year, rebuids, and got a big unit like the 78L.  Real nice with good room for both frozen and cool storage.

Where abouts you plan on hiding this season? 

• Like 1

I am going to be heading up to Scotland and Wales because a mate has found a hot spot so we will be away 2 or 3 weeks at a time maybe more, Back a couple of years ago I spent 6 months doing it the hard way, This time I am going to live the High Life, lol, 

No more sleeping in my 4x4, I am taking a Caravan with all the trimmings and my gear,

john

• Like 1

John,thats a very nice piece of kit mate,i am just starting to make a very basic weekend camping setup in the back of my Vitara,nothing fancy just the very basics but comfortable so that one can sleep,eat and wash,as it will be just for the odd holiday weekend i dont need anything fancy.

As long as i have space for my TDI Pro and the coils i will be perfectly happy :wink:

What vehicle will you be using a Freelander or something else ??

• Like 1

G;day Rick, I might buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Shogun because I want the internal space for all my Gear plus I want a Truck that has a Centre Diff Lock so that's why I picked those 2 and then I can add either a pair of ARB Air Lockers or 2 Detroit Lockers, I hate Axles with open Centres, As you know I have 2 Hi Lift jacks and 2 Winches One 12 volt 9500 LBS and a Tirfor hand winch plus a load of recovery gear, So I am all but set up, I just have to decide which Truck to buy and I am ready,

John

• Like 1

15 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

....I saw the Quality of the ARB I got straight on the phone and ordered  the 78 litre version so I can use the 47L as a freezer and use the 78L as a fridge....

Not ever owning or looking at a portable frig/freezer, I have a question based on you getting the second unit.

Can one of these units be a frig and a freezer at the same time or is it one or the other, either you use it a s frig or a freezer but not both at the sane time?

Yes they can if you set the thermostat at about - 5c to -10c the area above the motor works as a safe place for your Dairy products or you can buy one with TWO separate Bins and Two separate thermostats, The only reasons I am thinking about getting the big one is so I have a huge fridge and the 47  as the freezer or I might just get another 47 because I am pretty sure they will be more than enough,

If I mess around with them I could work out the exact Temp setting where things in the main compartment freeze and the Dairy area keeps everything  above freezing.

John