Spectacle'ur Day Relic Hunting

2 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great finds!!! That handle is old, and I believe it's called a tri-ped (not sure how to spell that) and is very late 1600's through early 1700's. That buckle is probably just as old as well.  Some old finds there. I have found those spoon handles before and they came from an early 1720's site.  Keep all brass scraps, especially if any are triangular. You could still be in the contact (trade) era and you might just turn up some Native trade goods there. That would be where I would spent my winters digging 🙃

Thank you for the info! 

I was hoping you "tri-pped" over this post. 🤣 I think this is a trading area. I am being very careful to analyze and save much of what I find here for various reasons. What may be just a Farmer's front yard is pretty significant. I/we have only covered a small portion of this field. My previous post has some artifacts as well.

Going to go low and slow here. May use the 11" coil, and possibly try to convince Chase (though it wouldn't be that difficult) to use some other detectors here, like a PI. It's ours until spring, and this area experiences many warmups in winter.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thank you for the info! 

I was hoping you "tri-pped" over this post. 🤣 I think this is a trading area. I am being very careful to analyze and save much of what I find here for various reasons. What may be just a Farmer's front yard is pretty significant. I/we have only covered a small portion of this field. My previous post has some artifacts as well.

Going to go low and slow here. May use the 11" coil, and possibly try to convince Chase (though it wouldn't be that difficult) to use some other detectors here, like a PI. It's ours until spring, and this area experiences many warmups in winter.

Trade areas usually have a lot more activity and artifacts. Yours is probably just an early colonial field. There are many such fields located all up and down the older established areas from Maine to Florida and are a great place to hunt. !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Great finds!!! That handle is old, and I believe it's called a tri-ped (not sure how to spell that) and is very late 1600's through early 1700's. 

It's spelled Trifid or Trifed, I looked it up. Thanks again. Apparently many people carried a spoon in the late 1600s and early 1700s, that kind of spoon in particular. Lots of them were silver, but mine is copper alloy or brass. No maker's mark. 😵

• Like 2

In the early days every traveler carried a fixed blade knife also. And not just for the vittles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Wow .  A cat !  I'm jealous.  I've never found a cat before.  How deep was it ?   😎

I've found a skunk before. Right on top of the ground. And snakes too!

• Haha 2

Just now, Tom_in_CA said:

Wow .  A cat !  I'm jealous.  I've never found a cat before.  How deep was it ?   😎

Just under the back deck. 🤣 He is a 9/10. Someone dropped the poor little guy off at the farm, they do that a lot here. At the farm where I live I have cellular cameras in a few obtrusive locations so this doesn't happen anymore. He's keeping the mice and bugs out of the house they are building, he's fat and happy. 😀20211206_121706.thumb.jpg.c331220cc6b1d151f84a8d42f7b83606.jpg

• Like 4

You need to see if you can take that cat home :).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

You need to see if you can take that cat home :).

There's a higher authority. 😀 I have asked, and right now it's not a good idea. Our calico of 14 years passed recently. I like cats a lot and this is a fine one.

• Like 2