Quest Xpointer Max Review (update 2)

Got out some this morning, looking for a ring I lost for the second time. Edit: I found it. 😀

Finally some field observations:

It's not easy to find the power button, especially with gloves on. Hope I get used to it. 😵 Takes your attention off the spot you are going to search if its a shallow target. Apparently Quest is in a place you don't need gloves. I wear thin, medium and heavy gloves all the time.

Forgeddabout the display. Even in cloudy conditions you can barely see it. No big deal, I wouldn't rely on it anyway, the tones and lights are fine. Might be an issue adjusting settings in the field, but you can shade it enough to read.

I'll be heading out soon to compare it and the Carrot, so I wouldn't jump on it just yet. 😀 Remember indoor tests are not outdoor tests.

• Like 3

Some more observations today, I took the Quest along with the Propointer on a hunt. Here are some more observations:

Bad Stuff

The snap on the holster is useless making the holster useless. Going to have to replace it with a "lift the Dot" or a strong snap like the Garrett has, just sew it, or get another Garrett holster for it. The Velcro is weak too.

The Quest falses a lot in Boost mode. Had to turn it to "high", it still detected a bit deeper than the Propointer. Others have commented on this problem as well. It doesn't false as much in High, but what is the point? 😵 The Carrot doesn't freak out at all, other than the quirks like not doing anything when you turn it on.

You can't see the discrimination LEDs in sunlight. No matter, the tones are distinct. Display can't be seen either unless heavily shaded.

I was hoping it would speed up my locating time from hole to hole, but maybe because I'm used to the Propointer it definitely doesn't. Cancelling falsing wasted a lot of time.

I'm going to try and find an overlay for the power button so I can find it fast.

Good Stuff

The Quest did save me some time when the detector told me the target was non-ferrous, I was able to move on more quickly. I ended up using it for the more "iffy" targets and it performed well.

It does not cause any issues with my Equinox. None at all.

The locating field of the Quest is more forward oriented, so it doesn't make you think the target is anywhere but where it finds it. I like that a lot.

I'm going to try some water tests hopefully this week.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Quest Xpointer Max Review (update 2)

Today I tried to force myself to use the Xpointer only. I had the Propointer AT with me.

Would I rely completely on the Xpointer, and not use the Carrot?

The answer is no, because I have hundreds of hours on the Propointer AT, and I have learned automatic procedures to ensure it functions properly. I have always located my target. I point it at my shovel after turning it on.

I also found out something today that bothers me a bit. The Xpointer in air tests did indeed locate targets before the Propointer. However, in the ground it does not. 🤔 I can't explain it more simply, if anyone wants to take a stab at complicating it go ahead. 😀 There were times it found nothing and the Propointer found the target. There was never an instance of the Propointer not finding something.

I finally was able to tame the "boost mode" somewhat, but I found it more accurate in "high".

The takeaway is this so far:

The Xpointer will indeed tell you which target in the hole is the "good" one. Almost always. Almost. It struggled a bit with targets close to ferrous like lead, or stuff with iron attached.

The Xpointer will point more directly at your target than the Propointer. Nothing wastes your time more than searching and pointing on all angles, if you're on it you get a signal.

I'll be using it a lot more, water tests coming soon. I like it but I don't love it. It's a great tool to have.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 8:12 PM, F350Platinum said:

Today I tried to force myself to use the Xpointer only. I had the Propointer AT with me.

Would I rely completely on the Xpointer, and not use the Carrot?

The answer is no, because I have hundreds of hours on the Propointer AT, and I have learned automatic procedures to ensure it functions properly. I have always located my target. I point it at my shovel after turning it on.

I also found out something today that bothers me a bit. The Xpointer in air tests did indeed locate targets before the Propointer. However, in the ground it does not. 🤔 I can't explain it more simply, if anyone wants to take a stab at complicating it go ahead. 😀 There were times it found nothing and the Propointer found the target. There was never an instance of the Propointer not finding something.

I finally was able to tame the "boost mode" somewhat, but I found it more accurate in "high".

The takeaway is this so far:

The Xpointer will indeed tell you which target in the hole is the "good" one. Almost always. Almost. It struggled a bit with targets close to ferrous like lead, or stuff with iron attached.

The Xpointer will point more directly at your target than the Propointer. Nothing wastes your time more than searching and pointing on all angles, if you're on it you get a signal.

I'll be using it a lot more, water tests coming soon. I like it but I don't love it. It's a great tool to have.

I liked the Whites TRX, but lost mine,that is another story, It pointed deep and on the point, not 360% . I have hit small targets and dig hole to deep, the propointer will keep going off make you think the target is in the bottom of hole. I hate that. Need just the tip to point, is there any pointers that just point on the tip?  Thankd  Dean

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dean Stone said:

I liked the Whites TRX, but lost mine,that is another story, It pointed deep and on the point, not 360% . I have hit small targets and dig hole to deep, the propointer will keep going off make you think the target is in the bottom of hole. I hate that. Need just the tip to point, is there any pointers that just point on the tip?  Thankd  Dean

I'd like to get my hands on a TRX. From all I've read it easily commands the ridiculous used prices.

The Xpointer does mostly concentrate toward the tip, but does has side detection as well, just not as much as the Propointer.20220118_220642.jpg.eafe182254705ab8426562aab777450e.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

From all I've read it easily commands the ridiculous used prices.

You are correct. If you're lucky, you can find one on eBay for $130 to $160. But they often go for higher prices, well over $200.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, mh9162013 said:

Great review!

And bummer on the battery life, especially given how finicky it is to charge and how it can't be charged in the field, while in use like the Equinox can (although I can't imagine what it would take to design a pinpointer that can be easily used while being charged).

The Pro-Find 35 has discrimination ability, but the ferrous and nonferrous sounds are very similar to each other...but then again, I don't have the best ears, so maybe it's just me.

Yes sir pro find tones are easily not noticed to me anyway! I do get in the zone and excited though. I've had one since it came out and just recently started paying attention to the ferrous pulsating sweetness! Pulsating sweetness! Lol saved me effort a few times today actually!

• Like 1

The Pro-Find has less depth when discrimination is enabled, that's enough reason for me not to use it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

The Pro-Find has less depth when discrimination is enabled, that's enough reason for me not to use it.

I didn't know the Pro Find had discrimination! 😀 The Quest Xpointer doesn't have a turn off switch for disc. 

The Quest has about the same depth as the AT pointer, but definitely has a few problems. It's a great backup and help for me but I'm sticking with the Carrot or the MI-6 as my initial "finder". The Xpointer is very loud.

• Like 1