Quest Xpointer Max Review (update 2)

Great review!

And bummer on the battery life, especially given how finicky it is to charge and how it can't be charged in the field, while in use like the Equinox can (although I can't imagine what it would take to design a pinpointer that can be easily used while being charged).

The Pro-Find 35 has discrimination ability, but the ferrous and nonferrous sounds are very similar to each other...but then again, I don't have the best ears, so maybe it's just me.

5 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Great review!

And bummer on the battery life, especially given how finicky it is to charge and how it can't be charged in the field, while in use like the Equinox can (although I can't imagine what it would take to design a pinpointer tha can be easily used while being charged).

The Pro-Find 35 has discrimination ability, but the ferrous and nonferrous sounds are very similar to each other...but then again, I don't have the best ears, so maybe it's just me.

Thanks! I found out the battery life is 14 hours, so maybe 2 6-hour days, but the Carrot lasts for about 8 outings or more. I corrected it, but that's still kinda a bummer.

It does seem to have very distinct tones. Videos will prove that for ya.

3 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I found out the battery life is 14 hours, so maybe 2 6-hour days

That's a bit better. I normally detect in 1-4 hour "sessions," so it seems like it would last me several hunting sessions.

I also like how it has different colored lights for the different type of targets it detects (ferrous v. nonferrous).

1 minute ago, mh9162013 said:

That's a bit better. I normally detect in 1-4 hour "sessions," so it seems like it would last me several hunting sessions.

I also like how it has different colored lights for the different type of targets it detects (ferrous v. nonferrous).

Yeah sorry, I corrected the review. I'm out of likes today πŸ˜€

I'm going to update this with field tests, I felt bad that I hijacked Cipher's post by actually going out and buying the darn thing. πŸ˜€ I just did initial impressions for now.

There are things for sure that I don't know, so feel free to comment and abuse as necessary. If anyone wants me to test certain conditions I'll try to do that too, like tiny targets. Just can't do videos.

• Like 1

I have used mine for several hunts and the battery has been charged once, I found that using it on the second level of sensitivity works best for me, still detects deep but no falsing, I made the bottom hole larger so the protective tip doesn’t get hung up, even at the lowest volume it’s still loud, I put a peace of tape over the speaker, I like the discrimination feature with the different sounds and lights, overall I’m enjoying it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voyager32 said:

I have used mine for several hunts and the battery has been charged once, I found that using it on the second level of sensitivity works best for me, still detects deep but no falsing, I made the bottom hole larger so the protective tip doesn’t get hung up, even at the lowest volume it’s still loud, I put a peace of tape over the speaker, I like the discrimination feature with the different sounds and lights, overall I’m enjoying it.

Thank you! I tend to run stuff wide open but I have not as yet used it in the field. If you think it's loud borrow a Propointer. πŸ˜€ I wear headphones so I need the pointer to be loud. I will see about falsing and sensitivity!

Thank you for giving us a thoughtful review of your findings on this Quest pin-pointer.Β  Extra depth should save time by using it to find more precisely where targets are located from the surface and limit damaging something rare and valuable when digging.Β  I bought a Fisher Pulse that goes a bit deeper on coins in ground than my carrot and it helps save digging time that way.Β Β :biggrin:

One idea I had for users of this pin-pointer and others using a protective tip, is to perhaps use the electrical shrink wrap and shrink some of it over where the protective cap on the tip snags the holster.Β  This might also help to keep from getting mud and gunk underneath it.Β Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! I found out the battery life is 14 hours, so maybe 2 6-hour days

Great review, Bob!Β  But I'm confused by the above.Β  Is it always in standby draining the battery or something?Β  My pinpointer is turned on and in use only a fraction of the time my detector is operating.Β  In a 6-hour day I would imagine conservatively 12 recoveries per hour for a total of ~70, such that it is actually operating 70 to 90 minutes per outing (between 1 to 2 minutes per recovery).Β  That would enable it to last through about 6 to 12 hunts best case with a 14-hour run time before needing a recharge.Β  What am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Great review, Bob!Β  But I'm confused by the above.Β  Is it always in standby draining the battery or something?Β  My pinpointer is turned on and in use only a fraction of the time my detector is operating.Β  In a 6-hour day I would imagine conservatively 12 recoveries per hour for a total of ~70, such that it is actually operating 70 to 90 minutes per outing (between 1 to 2 minutes per recovery).Β  That would enable it to last through about 6 to 12 hunts best case with a 14-hour run time before needing a recharge.Β  What am I missing?

Haha, total error. Thanks! I completely forgot it's not on all the time. 🀣 But I guess the spec is that it's 14 hours if left on. I appreciate the correction. It also has a "lost pointer" function that you can turn on or off, it will start beeping after 3 minutes.

In that light if it lasts for 8 hunts or so it ain't bad! πŸ˜€Β 

I have corrected the error.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Quest Xpointer Max Review (update 2)